OT: - Maybe We Need A Social Media Team | The Boneyard

OT: Maybe We Need A Social Media Team

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Two Huskies help Team USA women win Pan Am gold

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They were taping the men’s team (in the last few seconds of their gold medal game). I thought it was nice especially since recordings of the games are so hard to come by.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As Steelerone suggested, It's the way of the world. Social media is here, and it's here to stay. YOU would have a better chance of winning the Powerball lottery buying only one ticket than for these kids to put down their phones. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! You've got adults addicted to social media, it's not just the kids.

How many times have you been in a restaurant and saw this? 3/4 people at a table ALL on their cell phones.
Everyone of them an addict. They can't put their phones down long enough to order. None of them are talking to each other.

My 22 year old granddaughter was at our home a while back enjoying an evening meal. She had a fork in one hand and her phone in the other. She ate the entire meal and never once put her phone down. I just shook my head. Her 18 yr sister is just as bad. The only time they put their phones down is when they fall asleep, or they're behind the wheel. You know they go to bed and still have their phones in their hands perusing social media right? I grew up in the PRE cell phone era (thank God).

I know what it's like not to have a cell phone and still get by day to day. The world's first cell phone was launched in 1983. Like folks my age and older, I went through high school and college without the use or convenience of a computer. These kids have had cellphones in their lives from day one.

They hadn't been invented yet, but we got by and made it work. You don't miss things you never had. The first personal computers, introduced in 1975, came as kits. The Internet, the World Wide Web became publicly available on 6 August 1991, 28 years ago. In the 21st century, EVERYTHING is computerized and "on-line".
A computer in college today is a must.

Like so many other UConn WBB fans, I'm addicted to the BY. I’m on here several times a day every day.
If I miss a day, I’m scared I’ll miss the breaking news that UConn has signed that elusive BIG we’ve all been waiting for. ;)

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As Steelerone suggested, It's the way of the world. Social media is here, and it's here to stay. YOU would have a better chance of winning the Powerball lottery buying only one ticket than for these kids to put down their phones. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! You've got adults addicted to social media, it's not just the kids.

View attachment 45233

How many times have you been in a restaurant and saw this? 3/4 people at a table ALL on their cell phones.
Everyone of them an addict. They can't put their phones down long enough to order. None of them are talking to each other.

My 22 year old granddaughter was at our home a while back enjoying an evening meal. She had a fork in one hand and her phone in the other. She ate the entire meal and never once put her phone down. I just shook my head. Her 18 yr sister is just as bad. The only time they put their phones down is when they fall asleep. You know they go to bed and still have their phones in their hands perusing social media right? :eek:
Hopefully this thing will either evolve into something useful or disappear like primal therapy. After all, we all thought after the moon landing (which 1/3 of people below the age of 25 believe didn't happen) would lead to us landing on Mars by now, or there would be flying cars and moving sidewalks. Honestly though we are soon to enter the world of implants where we'll have instant access to each other without the use of hand held devices. At that point the need for blocking will become far more important as our attention spans will grow shorter and privacy will become precious.

Reaction Score

View attachment 45233

My 22 year old granddaughter was at our home a while back enjoying an evening meal. She had a fork in one hand and her phone in the other. She ate the entire meal and never once put her phone down. I just shook my head. Her 18 yr sister is just as bad. The only time they put their phones down is when they fall asleep, or behind the wheel. You know they go to bed and still have their phones in their hands perusing social media right?

I guess I can’t really be too judgmental, I’m an addict too. I’m addicted to the boneyard. Like so many other UConn WBB fans, I’m on here several times a day every day.

If I miss a day, I’m scared I’ll miss the breaking news about UConn getting that elusive BIG we’ve all been waiting for. ;)
I confess, I am a BY addict also, they say acceptance is the 1st step to a cure but frankly I do not want to be cured!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If I miss a day, I’m scared I’ll miss the breaking news about UConn getting that elusive BIG we’ve all been waiting for. ;)
Yes, that's a BIG worry. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hopefully this thing will either evolve into something useful or disappear like primal therapy. After all, we all thought after the moon landing (which 1/3 of people below the age of 25 believe didn't happen) would lead to us landing on Mars by now, or there would be flying cars and moving sidewalks. Honestly though we are soon to enter the world of implants where we'll have instant access to each other without the use of hand held devices. At that point the need for blocking will become far more important as our attention spans will grow shorter and privacy will become precious.
Can't believe we are NOT the Jetson's by now.

the-jetsons-reboot-abc-live-action-sitcom.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Speaking of moon landings, you know NASA is planning on returning to the moon in 2024 right? I’m not holding out for man to set foot on Mars in my lifetime unless someone does it in the next 12-15 years. Like all of us “mature” posters, I’ve got more days behind me than in front.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I
Even the thought of it made me throw up in my mouth.
I'm not a fan of the omni present cell phone---BUt, BUT---in 1949 when Terryville HS defeated Thomaston HS Basketball team in Torrington for the Houstonic League title---(a very big deal) If I had a cell phone I would have recorded that. Hubi Heines scored the winning shot--U B Hines. .

Reaction Score
Privacy is NOW precious! Think: Abt 1925 the population was abt 75 million, Today 335 /350 million we are doubling every 30 years--in 60 years well over 1.5 billion in the USA---we were a wide open spaces a few short years ago--in 60 year even deserts will be occupied. Don't worry about climate change--where will the food come from??

JordyG

Reaction Score
Privacy is NOW precious! Think: Abt 1925 the population was abt 75 million, Today 335 /350 million we are doubling every 30 years--in 60 years well over 1.5 billion in the USA---we were a wide open spaces a few short years ago--in 60 year even deserts will be occupied. Don't worry about climate change--where will the food come from??
I well remember Pete Seeger's "We'll All Be 'ADoublin' In 22 years". Fortunately the last landscape of privacy is the human mind, and soon that will be under constant assault.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Goodness, what have I started. I think I've just hijacked this thread.

Reaction Score
Flying hover cars. Get real. I prefer my technology visions to be more realistic

View attachment 45234
Flying Hover cars are passe. 50 year old technology. The hover board about 40 years ago flew with one person. The flying car 1947 technology now too crowded to use. Dematerialization has been tried--you don't want to know the results. Not even molecules survived./

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Speaking of moon landings, you know NASA is planning on returning to the moon in 2024 right? I’m not holding out for man to set foot on Mars in my lifetime unless someone does it in the next 12-15 years. Like all of us “mature” posters, I’ve got more days behind me than in front.

If Amazon / Starbucks took over the Space Program, Mars would be a done deal. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom