Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn holds a bunch of impressive records:
  • A 111 game win streak
  • A separate 89 game win streak
  • 14 consecutive Final Fours (that’s 14 years)
  • 30 years without back to back losses
These are incredible achievements that I believe UConn fans take for granted. Just the first item on the above list - how hard is it to win 100+ consecutive times at anything (darts, poker, solitaire, tiddlywinks)? Beating top ranked teams, getting up against bad teams where others might lose focus, championships, on the road, through illness, finals, heck, breakups with boyfriends…. It’s remarkable that so many different groups of 18-22 year olds could do any of the stuff on that list.

I see a lot of posters on the board have expectations of UConn teams each year based on what UConn teams of the past have done. That’s erroneous. Every year presents its own set of challenges to a different cast of characters. To assume that each season will be some kind of replay of a previous year makes no sense to me.

Can we just try to keep in mind what’s going on with this year’s team without expecting them to turn into a version of a prior year team? Can expectations be adjusted for the realities of this season?

I love all of the Huskies I’ve been privileged to see play for the last 30 years. I’m proud of all of their accomplishments. I don’t know that I’ve ever been prouder than I am of this year’s group of warriors. They truly do have the Heart of a Husky, every one of them.

Reaction Score
Not to mention 11 national Championships and 7 plus years of not losing a conference game. Uconn women's basketball has been a standard of excellence that will never be exceeded by any other team, ever.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We lost two in a row. It was going to happen sooner or later. I can live with it because I don't think you are going to see another team go 30 years without back to back loses.

This team has face unbelievable odds this season. Most other teams would have wilted under the pressure these young ladies have faced all season.

This team may not win it all this year but they will be remembered as one of the toughest, grittiest UConn teams in history. And they may still make it to the final four.

Reaction Score
  • A 111 game win streak
These are incredible achievements that I believe UConn fans take for granted. Just the first item on the above list - how hard is it to win 100+ times at anything (darts, poker, solitaire, tiddlywinks)? Beating top ranked teams, getting up against bad teams where others might lose focus, championships, on the road, through illness, finals, heck, breakups with boyfriends…. It’s remarkable that so many different groups of 18-22 year olds could do any of the stuff on that list.

I see a lot of posters on the board have expectations of UConn teams each year based on what UConn teams of the past have done. That’s erroneous. Every year presents its own set of challenges with a different cast of characters. To assume that each season will be some kind of replay of a previous year makes no sense to me.

Can we just try to keep in mind what’s going on with this year’s team without expecting them to turn into a version of a prior year team? Can expectations be adjusted for the realities of this year?

I love all of the Huskies I’ve been privileged to see play for the last 30 years. I’m proud of all of their accomplishments. I don’t know that I’ve been prouder than I am of this year’s group of warriors. They truly do have the Heart of a Husky, every one of them.
Very well said!

Reaction Score
  • A 111 game win streak
These are incredible achievements that I believe UConn fans take for granted. Just the first item on the above list - how hard is it to win 100+ times at anything (darts, poker, solitaire, tiddlywinks)? Beating top ranked teams, getting up against bad teams where others might lose focus, championships, on the road, through illness, finals, heck, breakups with boyfriends…. It’s remarkable that so many different groups of 18-22 year olds could do any of the stuff on that list.

I see a lot of posters on the board have expectations of UConn teams each year based on what UConn teams of the past have done. That’s erroneous. Every year presents its own set of challenges with a different cast of characters. To assume that each season will be some kind of replay of a previous year makes no sense to me.

Can we just try to keep in mind what’s going on with this year’s team without expecting them to turn into a version of a prior year team? Can expectations be adjusted for the realities of this year?

I love all of the Huskies I’ve been privileged to see play for the last 30 years. I’m proud of all of their accomplishments. I don’t know that I’ve been prouder than I am of this year’s group of warriors. They truly do have the Heart of a Husky, every one of them.

Also, this team has accomplished a lot more than what most expected considering who isn't available. Like I was saying to a friend last night, other teams have imploded in similar situations. There are teams right now with not as many injuries struggling to stay competitive, while UConn battle and are in the game until the end. If that doesn't speak to the depth and quality of players that have been recruited to this program, I don't know what to say.

Reaction Score
I'll say this: if the various injuries hadn't happened it seems highly unlikely that we would have seen nearly as much Nika, Aubrey and Lou as we have this year. And that would've been a loss. All three - and especially Lou, who none of us knew anything about --have shown what great players they are. We've always suspected that our UConn non-starters could start and star at other very high level programs. This year we proved it.

Reaction Score
Let's face it, we fans are spoiled. And being spoiled we also feel entitled to a degree. Entitled to the best HS players, entitled to the FF and even the NC. Entitled to everything going our way.

UConn's success over the past 30 years is unprecedented in women's college basketball, maybe in all of sports. It is highly doubtful that we'll ever see anything like it again. This season has been the toughest without question. The players & coaching staff have risen to the occasion. We fans need to do the same.

JMO.

Reaction Score
We lost one of those streaks, but the other major active one, 14 straight Final Fours is still a very much alive and doable. If we don't win the championship, but keep the Final Four streak intact, I suspect most on the Boneyard would consider that a pretty good accomplishment considering the obstacles. And once you get to the Final Four anything can happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This season’s success, despite the lack of depth on Connecticut’s roster, was unsustainable. We were seeing signs of the toll it was taking prior to the South Carolina game. In the South Carolina game this amazing group of women, rallied and fought against what is, indisputably, the best team in women’s basketball right now. Last night’s loss, as disappointing as it was, put our efforts against South Carolina in perspective. They were heroic.

I just want to get a little bit of depth back and get our girls some more rest so they can finish out the season strong. It’s been one hell of an effort, and they are to be commended for it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
  • A 111 game win streak

I see a lot of posters on the board have expectations of UConn teams each year based on what UConn teams of the past have done. That’s erroneous. Every year presents its own set of challenges to a different cast of characters. To assume that each season will be some kind of replay of a previous year makes no sense to me.

I love all of the Huskies I’ve been privileged to see play for the last 30 years. I’m proud of all of their accomplishments. I don’t know that I’ve ever been prouder than I am of this year’s group of warriors. They truly do have the Heart of a Husky, every one of them.
Here's a few more

Most consecutive NCs (4)
Most consecutive Div 1 NCAA Tourney wins (28)
Most consecutive 30 win seasons (14) (along with most 30 win seasons 25)
Most undefeated seasons (6)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
  • A 111 game win streak
These are incredible achievements that I believe UConn fans take for granted. Just the first item on the above list - how hard is it to win 100+ consecutive times at anything (darts, poker, solitaire, tiddlywinks)? Beating top ranked teams, getting up against bad teams where others might lose focus, championships, on the road, through illness, finals, heck, breakups with boyfriends…. It’s remarkable that so many different groups of 18-22 year olds could do any of the stuff on that list.

Can we just try to keep in mind what’s going on with this year’s team without expecting them to turn into a version of a prior year team? Can expectations be adjusted for the realities of this season?

I agree, but I believe the 89 streak was actually 90 games, and let's not forget the 70 game streak. I hate that this incredible streak has ended, I'm glad it was by a good Big East school. Congrats to Meghan Duffey and her team.

Reaction Score
I love this version of the UCONN Huskies. I have not followed the Huskies as long as many, having been introduced to the Team in the Stewie years. But...every year there are so many things to love about those who wear the UCONN uniform.

I have confidence they will rebound well from the disappointment of this game. All their preseason goals are still in front of them; Reg Season Conference Champ, Conf Tournament Champ and Nat'l Champ. They will slay each dragon as they come.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
We lost two in a row. It was going to happen sooner or later. I can live with it because I don't think you are going to see another team go 30 years without back to back loses.

This team has face unbelievable odds this season. Most other teams would have wilted under the pressure these young ladies have faced all season.

This team may not win it all this year but they will be remembered as one of the toughest, grittiest UConn teams in history. And they may still make it to the final four.
When healthy I’m not shooting for the final four they are capable of another national championship.

Reaction Score
  • A 111 game win streak

Those FANs that have been with the UConn, including the MEN, since Yankee Conference days know how amazing this UConn Women's run has been. In that Conference it was a thrilling year to win 20. Beating the (our next door neighbor opponent) The RAMS was a superb year.
Now, some think unless Uconn Women make a run for the title---it's a bad year.
Fans of Uconn (especially the Women) are in seats or in front of TV's or travel with this team--because of the way they play. It is the GAME. Geno, in the past, spoke of UConn played against the GAME. Until recently few teams knew the GAME or the details. That is the gift Geno brought to Uconn.

Reaction Score
I know that you all understand this, but if this ends up being a "down" year for UConn (which I don't think will happen - I still think a Final Four is on the horizon) it will be a year that 98% of the teams in WBB would love to have. This from the perspective of a fan of a program that has come a long way in 16 years but has still not reached the mountaintop.

Reaction Score
Long-time reader, long-time fan.

As awful as the injuries have been, there are so many positives. Aaliyah is developing into a true leader and a bona fide NPOY candidate. Nika is draining threes and driving to the basket and scoring. Aubrey is regularly taking opponents off the dribble in the half-court offense. 29 points in the slugfest against Princeton? Who saw that coming? Dorka is averaging a double-double. And Lou. 50-50-90 and the focus of the opponent's defense every game.

The injuries to Paige and Azzi and Caroline and Ice have been terrible but at the same time they created opportunities and the healthy starters have stepped up. It's been a revelation.

Now, if Ines and Ayanna will start taking the open shot in the lane, I'll be truly happy.

Reaction Score
It's difficult to keep things in perspective, I find, because we have grown used to seeing UConn being "the best" and even if they have a "down" year, in hindsight we always forget that it happened and only remember the highlights. UConn WBB's success is unparalleled. No WBB team has been as successful as us, that there are many, many, many programs out there (then and now) that wish that every year could be as good as our "down" years. Heck, I wish every single UConn sport could have a "down" year like our "down" years.

I know and fully admit that I'm awful at keeping things in perspective. I get frustrated when things don't go our way. It hits so much harder when they lose or stumble because as a fan you just get used to seeing them in this "perfect" light. (And that's not just me with UConn WBB, it's with fans for any long-time successful team.) It's not easy to admit you're a spoiled fan, but ... it's unfortunately the truth. :oops:

But no matter what happens, I've been a diehard UConn fan my whole life, and nothing could change that.

Reaction Score
Long-time reader, long-time fan.

As awful as the injuries have been, there are so many positives. Aaliyah is developing into a true leader and a bona fide NPOY candidate. Nika is draining threes and driving to the basket and scoring. Aubrey is regularly taking opponents off the dribble in the half-court offense. 29 points in the slugfest against Princeton? Who saw that coming? Dorka is averaging a double-double. And Lou. 50-50-90 and the focus of the opponent's defense every game.

The injuries to Paige and Azzi and Caroline and Ice have been terrible but at the same time they created opportunities and the healthy starters have stepped up. It's been a revelation.

Now, if Ines and Ayanna will start taking the open shot in the lane, I'll be truly happy.

Welcome to the board!!!

Reaction Score
I’m going to watch the rest of this season’s games ( HOWEVER many there are) and see what happens.
Except Senior Night because I can’t get CBSsports now.
Don’t get me started on THAT !
I remember last season, after GA Tech, after Louisville, after Oregon, after Villanova, there was still PLENTY of great WCBB to see.

Reaction Score
You are dreaming. Of course there are other teams with talent like that. But there is no other team that has has four likely starters ( Brady, Paige, Azzi and Ducharme ) who haven't played a minute in 2023. ( okay, AZZI played one game before she was re-injured...and had sat for 6 weeks )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom