Maybe the loss helps | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe the loss helps

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Creighton really impressed me. They have an almost professional demeanor in the way they play -- very poised, and very disciplined.
Agreed. They were pretty locked in from the start. Even when we were up 11 early and they couldn't buy a shot, I noticed how patient and disciplined they were. And their players, especially Zegarowski, were looking up at the scoreboard after every possession to keep an eye on where they stood and what they needed to do at that moment.

It was almost like our team, like the media and much of our fan base, expected to waltz in to a coronation for our rightful place atop the Big East in our first season "back," and they failed to appreciate that Creighton has been to the finals of the BET for the last three years in a row. They simply wanted it more than we did and they already appreciated that you don't get wins handed to you at this time of year; you have to take them.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I think the team is still pretty green in some areas that the seniors can’t exactly make up for. We saw it tonight. They can still play with anyone, but just stinks to see a winnable game turn into a painful loss. Creighton at its best is a damn good team.
The elephant in the room is that wasn’t Creightons best effort. They left a lot of points at the stripe and behind the arc. Some was our defense sure but they also missed some wide open looks from guys who typically shoot better.

The good news is that was a C game by our new standard. A lot went wrong. Adama’s foul trouble was a major factor and imo self inflicted. I disagree with some who think the calls on him were wrong. He bulled into Mahoney on that moving screen call. Losing our PG in winning time is a big deal and primarily on the defensive end. Z went to work on Gaffney. That was game planned.

Creighton is a tough matchup because they do the things we do well just as well. They are big athletic play tough D and go after the ball.

They sent three defenders at Bouknight when he got the ball at the top of the key. In a tournament format teams won’t have time to scheme that.

I’m melancholoy this morning because a BET win in our reunion year would have been special, but I’m not discouraged. Let’s see what matchups we draw.

Reaction Score
I may be pushing it by saying this, but they seemed very confident coming into the game and maybe this helps in some way heading into next weekend. Don't hang me for this take on the team and the game

Go Huskies
Mike Anthony of the New Haven Register (yes, he left the Courant recently) with a similar thought.

“I think inexperience with the program and inexperience with the team in a postseason game like that showed up in some critical spots,” Hurley said. “I just think as a program we needed to experience the tension and intensity of a high-leverage game in March. We haven't been in one of those in years.”

Hurley added, “They're a hair better than us.”

Alternate free access: Experience of hurt will make UConn stronger going forward

Reaction Score
This team was desperate for a signature win - not just for seeding purposes, but also for a late-game confidence builder. I have a hard time believing last night’s loss was a good thing.

Reaction Score
Quality of team in regards to tonight being the real championship game. Creighton is going to beat GTown tomorrow as we would have. We’re just significantly better teams than Georgetown
Bump lmao. I’m an idiot

Reaction Score
Creighton really impressed me. They have an almost professional demeanor in the way they play -- very poised, and very disciplined.
And Georgetown destroyed them.

Reaction Score
UConn’s shortcoming is not enough players can score, which hopefully improves each year. An off/night by one or two players and we are really impacted. Isaiah is great defender, but offensively? Polley can easily be neutralized. Really, it’s RJ and Bouknight who are the two main threats. Martin is good complimentary player but is inconsistent on offense. Great team defensively, but in the tournament, all the teams are good defensively and many have better offenses. Still, I’m hopeful!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Soooooo I do feel like resume wise it didn’t necessarily hurt us!

Reaction Score
Zegarowski is not as skilled as Bouk but is tougher at this stage, stronger. He's 22. We'll see when Bouk is 22 but it won't be in our uniform unfortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom