Maybe the Duke education isn't all its cracked up to be... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe the Duke education isn't all its cracked up to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not for athletics, some of them take correspondence courses that rank as high as the bogus North Carolina classes .

A few years back a MBB recruit signed with Duke in the fall. Then promptly flunked off his high school team. He still got in Duke and graduated.

Please provide a link to an article about this.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I can't help wonder if Geno, CD, Shea, Marisa, and the intense TLaw, among others, would all have missed this had they tried it on UCONN.
I'll bet TLaw and Kyla would catch it. Maybe Molly, too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Rutgers ran this play effectively a few times back in the 2000s too. I wouldn't rip of Duke for this, each time I've seen it attempted, it has worked for the offensive team. It's just a crafty move that could easily trick any team if they aren't paying close attention, and most players aren't super dialed in the seconds before the 2nd half starts.

Big props to them for beating Louisville yesterday. Not a pretty win but a great win for the program. Duke is definitely the surprise team for 2016-17, imagine how competitive they'd be with Azura Stevens in the mix..

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Totally agree.
Lets say it is the opening tip and the player getting the tipped ball is confused and runs to the wrong basket and scores. The ref wouldnt yell at them to stop. The ref shouldnt be a ref and a coach.
1959: Bristol, CT Armory; St. Anthony's boys vs Litchfield high school boys. At the opening tap, the 2 centers lined up facing the wrong baskets. The referees did not notice. Litchfield got the tap and scored 2 points. Two points were awarded to St. Anthony's, and they won the game by 1 point. After weeks of deliberation, the score stood. I believe this was the referees' fault.

Reaction Score
Please provide a link to an article about this.

I cannot find an article. This is not a rumor, it is common knowledge. I can send you a private message with the players name.

The notion that North Carolina is the only school with questionable academic conduct is nonsense. There are plenty of prestigious schools that cut corners for athletes.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Rutgers ran this play effectively a few times back in the 2000s too. I wouldn't rip of Duke for this, each time I've seen it attempted, it has worked for the offensive team. It's just a crafty move that could easily trick any team if they aren't paying close attention, and most players aren't super dialed in the seconds before the 2nd half starts.

Big props to them for beating Louisville yesterday. Not a pretty win but a great win for the program. Duke is definitely the surprise team for 2016-17, imagine how competitive they'd be with Azura Stevens in the mix..
No, RU never did it. But Walz did it to RU, as noted above, where another poster seems to recollect it was the BE Tourney. I just remember it being done.

Although I know most BY'ers like Walz, that was one of 3 reasons I haven't cared for him. The 2nd was a "hack a Kia" game where his designated "hacker" was way too physical (or at least looked it from the stands) and the 3rd was an incident where he lost his temper because his team arrived early at the hotel and they weren't ready for him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I tried this while coaching high school. The ref ruined it. He said "I'm not gonna let you do that" He alerted the other team that they were defending the wrong basket then handed the ball to my player after the other team ran to the other basket.
That's really, really poor reffing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is the coaching.
A Duke education is among the best in the world in spite of occasional potshots at it.
It's the Harvard of the South. Of course, that's quite the qualifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom