Maybe the Duke education isn't all its cracked up to be... | The Boneyard

Maybe the Duke education isn't all its cracked up to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is the coaching.
A Duke education is among the best in the world in spite of occasional potshots at it.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Coach P has had brain farts since arriving and she will continue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A prime example of the announcers talking over the action.

Didn't anything feel wrong to ANY of the players or coaching staff? They are at the same end of the court as they were for 20 minutes of play about 15 minutes earlier.

I'm guessing that JPM is highly displeased with Coach Walz.

Reaction Score
I tried this while coaching high school. The ref ruined it. He said "I'm not gonna let you do that" He alerted the other team that they were defending the wrong basket then handed the ball to my player after the other team ran to the other basket.

Reaction Score
It is the coaching.
A Duke education is among the best in the world in spite of occasional potshots at it.

not for athletics, some of them take correspondence courses that rank as high as the bogus North Carolina classes .

A few years back a MBB recruit signed with Duke in the fall. Then promptly flunked off his high school team. He still got in Duke and graduated.

Reaction Score
I tried this while coaching high school. The ref ruined it. He said "I'm not gonna let you do that" He alerted the other team that they were defending the wrong basket then handed the ball to my player after the other team ran to the other basket.

That is not the referee's job. All he or she needs to do is say ___ ball, and point to a basket, by then it should be to late.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Not as funny as Swin Corrigan but pretty good. Most Embarrassing Coach Fail of the season award goes to McCallie and her staff. Funny thing - there was no mention of the play in the Duke site write up.

Big crowd for a game between ranked teams. :(

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
That is not the referee's job. All he or she needs to do is say ___ ball, and point to a basket, by then it should be to late.
Totally agree.
Lets say it is the opening tip and the player getting the tipped ball is confused and runs to the wrong basket and scores. The ref wouldnt yell at them to stop. The ref shouldnt be a ref and a coach.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
not for athletics, some of them take correspondence courses that rank as high as the bogus North Carolina classes .

A few years back a MBB recruit signed with Duke in the fall. Then promptly flunked off his high school team. He still got in Duke and graduated.

You or your close ones apply to Duke and try to get accepted. Duke is first class. Checkmate that...

Reaction Score
4 coaches, 10 players, grad assistants, trainers and 50 fans and no one spotted that? It's hard to preach attention to detail to the players after that one.
I'll give Louisville credit, they certainly sold it well, and it probably helped that it was the start of the second half, but I agree with a previous comment: how do you not realize that you didn't switch sides after half? That's like leaving the house and forgetting that you don't have pants on.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'll give Louisville credit, they certainly sold it well, and it probably helped that it was the start of the second half, but I agree with a previous comment: how do you not realize that you didn't switch sides after half? That's like leaving the house and forgetting that you don't have pants on.
I don't know - but Walz did it to Rutgers years ago. I was wondering if he tried it again.

It worked against RU, by the way.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I bet the two Louisville players had to look at each other like "can this really be happening?"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A ref walks over to a captain and says "yours is over there". What's done with that is team business. Subject to interpretation only in an advanced Fine Arts course.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Is that really so unusual? (I'm wondering if I should have kept that to myself.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yah, but who got the last laugh...

Maybe if the Louisville coach would have ran a play for #25 or #4 to get an open 3pt shot instead of running that trickery to open the half...... they could have just needed a 2 to tie the game at the end, instead of a desperation 3. Wanna bet he'd trade a victory for that sportscenter highlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom