Maybe Pitt and Syracuse fell on their swords | The Boneyard

Maybe Pitt and Syracuse fell on their swords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And by that I mean accepted the role of backstabbing bad guys. Accepting this role allows UConn, WVU and RU to look as if they are only doing what is best to protect their programs. UConn and RU to the ACC and WVU to the SEC.

Jurich said something that was key. "This can't look like a raid". It needs to be noted that L'Ville, USF and Cincinnati have all come out with statements while UConn, WVU and RU remain silent. At the end of the day Cinci, L'Ville and USF were nice additions to stabalize the conference in a time of need but they are not original partners and were never truly long-term options for the original 5 football playing members.

What Pitt and Cuse are doing to UConn, RU and WVU would be equivalent to Michigan and Ohio State destroying the Atheletic Departments at Mich St., Iowa and Illinois. Or UNC and Duke destoying the AD's at NC State, WF and Virginia. I just don't want to believe that long-time partners would do such a thing to one another. UConn and RU in the ACC strengthens Pitt and Cuse and they would want UConn and RU to go with them....as would BCU for that matter. Do you really think BCU, Cuse and Pitt would prefer Texas to UConn? We've already seen what a hybrid did to the Big East...why would the ACC create a hybrid with Texas and ND???

I also think the timing with Dave Gavitt's death is too interesting to ignore. The founding members of the conference didn't want to destoy a man's dream while he lay on his death bed. Don't discount the respect people had for DG. The fact that he passed Friday and this happened on Saturday is very interesting.

Another thing that should be noted is Jim B. at Cuse. Remember how vocal he was the last time Cuse got invited to the ACC? This time...silence. Nothing can be said if all the schools are making a move together. No one cares about breaking away from Ville, USF and Cinci.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We will see. I am a little less sanguine. I think the football schools were planning to stay loyal to each other and then WVU started flirting with the SEC, which started a race for the door. I think Luck's complaining about the BE and big mouth could end up having really cost the WVU athletic program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What Pitt and Cuse are doing to UConn, RU and WVU would be equivalent to Michigan and Ohio State destroying the Atheletic Departments at Mich St., Iowa and Illinois. Or UNC and Duke destoying the AD's at NC State, WF and Virginia. I just don't want to believe that long-time partners would do such a thing to one another.

braniff.jpg

I also think the timing with Dave Gavitt's death is too interesting to ignore. The founding members of the conference didn't want to destoy a man's dream while he lay on his death bed. Don't discount the respect people had for DG.

You're giving Pitt and Syracuse way too much credit. That would require a level of class that their own actions show they just don't have.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
plausible

but I like Louisville & WVU too. Both quality and marketable programs. right now you have the Cards out, and they have great teams and arguably the best facilities

Reaction Score
plausible

but I like Louisville & WVU too. Both quality and marketable programs. right now you have the Cards out, and they have great teams and arguably the best facilities

I think they are out for now...but only for now. If the SEC goes to 16 they will take Ville and Mizzou. With OU, OSU, Kansas and K-State to the Pac 12. It's Baylor, TT and Iowa State who will get screwed in all of this. K-State only gets saved because of Kansas. The remainder of the Big 12 join up with TCU, Boise and the MWC. The 5th major conference....solid but looking in.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
SU was in bed with the ACC in 2003.

Rutgers and Pitt and SU were mentioned as Big Ten candidates last year along with ND and Missouri.

The ACC offers an immediate increase in revenue and one that is reasonably certain for 10 years. No BCS qualifier drama. A schedule upgrade in football. A great basketball schedule.

Pitt and Syracuse didn't apply on the same day without some collusion somewhere. Yes, one rumor has it that the WVU to SEC was confirmed as a timing issue not a question mark. The other is that the ACC was desparate to revisit their contract and SU and Pitt were consensus adds with the NYC (Rutgers UConn) decision taking a back seat to the Texas/Texas Tech decision.

At this pont if Texas tries to save the Big 12 by adding 3 to 5 teams it could get interesting as more rumors swirl. I think the PAC-14 is next followed quickly by the SEC-14 and then Texas will alientate all potential suitors and poison the waters pushing the ACC to look at Rutgers and UConn to get it done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Texas is not going anywhere but the Pac 12. Even Chip is reporting that now. The Pac 12 will be 16 within a couple of weeks, and then the SEC, ACC and Big 10 get to make a decision.

Reaction Score
I'm really having a hard time with all of this back room jockeying. I think this UConn will eventually have a soft landing, but I don't want to see any of our conference mates left out in the cold. I'm especially sorry for Tom Jurich. He's a visionary & SHOULD hav e been the choice over Marinatto as B.E. Commissioner. He gets the whole picture. Right now it doesn't look pretty.

Reaction Score
I'm really having a hard time with all of this back room jockeying. I think this UConn will eventually have a soft landing, but I don't want to see any of our conference mates left out in the cold. I'm especially sorry for Tom Jurich. He's a visionary & SHOULD hav e been the choice over Marinatto as B.E. Commissioner. He gets the whole picture. Right now it doesn't look pretty.

Ville is going to be fine. If the SEC goes to 16 who else are they going to take now that FSU and Clemson are staying in the ACC. It's Cinci and USF that will have to worry. But I think they will combine with the Big 12 leftovers along with TCU and Boise...not great but better than conference USA where they came from.

Who know's UConn might be in trouble too...but I don't think so.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Texas is not going anywhere but the Pac 12. Even Chip is reporting that now. The Pac 12 will be 16 within a couple of weeks, and then the SEC, ACC and Big 10 get to make a decision.

This seems to be the favorite scenario.

Then the SEC adds TAMU/ Missouri followed by WVU and a player to be named later--Louisville and Kansas come up to strengthen basketball. Kansas is a new market and needs to upgrade football--doable with an SEC affilaition and money. Lousiville is another Kentucky team but desirable in some other respects.

Then ACC the has the consensus to add NYC (Rutgers and UConn) with WVU and the the Big-12 desirables off the table. Until then they have 3 scenarios to mull over (WVU/Louisville, Texas/Texas Tech, UConn/Rutgers).

Reaction Score
I missed the Fordham game because of a family commitment in Rhode Island. At the event, I was catching up with my wife's cousin's family. They live in Cary, N.C. (spitting distance from N.C. State). In conversation with his son-in-law, (a Tarheel grad & well connected in their alumni association) he came out with the statement that it looks like our 2 schools would be seeing a lot of each other in the near future. I countered with the story of the upcoming proposed Comcast contract. He started talking about the annexation of the Big East by the ACC & acted like the cat who ate the canary. I'll have to call him & see if I can dig out any further info.

Reaction Score
This seems to be the favorite scenario.

Then the SEC adds TAMU/ Missouri followed by WVU and a player to be named later--Louisville and Kansas come up to strengthen basketball. Kansas is a new market and needs to upgrade football--doable with an SEC affilaition and money. Lousiville is another Kentucky team but desirable in some other respects.

Then ACC the has the consensus to add NYC (Rutgers and UConn) with WVU and the the Big-12 desirables off the table. Until then they have 3 scenarios to mull over (WVU/Louisville, Texas/Texas Tech, UConn/Rutgers).

I don't agree with you or Nelson. The decision is already made. Simply a matter of time. The only move that makes sense for the ACC is UConn/Rutgers. They don't want the Longhorn Network and there is no way Texas chooses the ACC over the Pac 12 and no way the Pac 12 loses Texas to the ACC. The ACC is not going to take Ville and WVU. No way no how. In terms of Ville and WVU think academics and geography.

It's UConn and Rutgers. Just a matter of time. It's been mentioned 3 or 4 times this morning on ESPN...and we all know that is how it starts.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
They don't want the Longhorn Network and there is no way Texas chooses the ACC over the Pac 12 and no way the Pac 12 loses Texas to the ACC.

I 100% agree, but this is where it all gets very interesting. I agree that if Texas is coming to the conclusion that they cannot keep their LHN, they would much rather prefer the PAC 10 to the ACC. But going the next step further, I think Texas would much rather be in the Big Ten than the PAC 10. And if the LHN is off of the table, I think the Big Ten would welcome Texas with open arms. Plus, the Big Ten has been much too quiet over the past couple of weeks during this conference craziness. So I still believe everyone is going to be surprised this week when Texas ends up going to the Big Ten. It just makes too much sense.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree, but this is where it all gets very interesting. I agree that if Texas is coming to the conclusion that they cannot keep their LHN, they would much rather prefer the PAC 10 to the ACC. But going the next step further, I think Texas would much rather be in the Big Ten than the PAC 10. And if the LHN is off of the table, I think the Big Ten would welcome Texas with open arms. Plus, the Big Ten has been much too quiet over the past couple of weeks during this conference craziness. So I still believe everyone is going to be surprised this week when Texas ends up going to the Big Ten. It just makes too much sense.

This might happen....along with ND.

People keep talking about an open invitation from the ACC to Texas and ND. Well guess what other conference those two schools have an open invitation to? If it comes down to it guess who they choose.

The only reason I think it will be the pac 12 is that Texas seems to be tied to TT. If they are willing to leave TT they go to the Big 10. If not it's Pac 12 for Texas. Texas might decide as soon as tomorrow.

Kansas needs to pray that UT goes to the Big 10.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
This might happen....along with ND.

People keep talking about an open invitation from the ACC to Texas and ND. Well guess what other conference those two schools have an open invitation to? If it comes down to it guess who they choose.

The only reason I think it will be the pac 12 is that Texas seems to be tied to TT. If they are willing to leave TT they go to the Big 10. If not it's Pac 12 for Texas. Texas might decide as soon as tomorrow.

Kansas needs to pray that UT goes to the Big 10.

I think Texas' obligation to Texas Tech is to ensure that they end up in a BCS conference, not that they actually have to stay with them. I think Texas Tech finds a seat with the PAC 10 with Oklahoma...or if not, then in the SEC with aTm.

And I agree with you...I think both Texas and Notre Dame are going to the Big Ten. Which then gets very interesting. Does the Big Ten stay at 14? Not out of the question. But if they do decide to go to 16, do they go West (Missouri and Kansas) or do they go East (UConn and Rutgers). I know one thing for sure....Notre Dame would much prefer the Northeastern presence, that is for sure! So it could be UConn to the Big Ten in that scenario if the Big Ten goes to 16. Or the Big Ten could go one Western team got TX (Mizzou) and one Eastern team for ND (Rutgers).

Either way, I think the Big Ten is going to be the surprise power player this week!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if falling on swords is the correct label but you are correct in your assessment that current members have roles that they believe they need to adhere to. Publicly, UConn (and Cuse) were proponents of Nova moving up in football and refused to state that they agreed with the stance WVU, Pitt and Rutgers took (which pretty much killed their upgrade). Privately all football members were very concerned with the idea that adding an FCS upgrade would strengthen the football conference and wanted it stopped.

The UT wildcard (and the fact that no other moves will be made until the horns decide what they will do) is the only reason I believe this wasn't a fully orchestrated event to get the four northeast BE schools into the ACC (although this may well be the end result). I am pretty confident however that Pitt and Cuse knew there would very likely be a safe landing spot for other BE football members once all is said and done (if UT goes to the {P-12 which could well happen), the most likeley scenario places UConn and Rutgers in the ACC, WVU in the SEC and Louisville, Cincinnati, USF and TCU in the B-12.

Reaction Score

How pissed would Nebraska be, who left the BXII in part to get away from Texas?

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
How pissed would Nebraska be, who left the BXII in part to get away from Texas?

Nebraska left to get away from Texas' unfair monetary and power advantage in the Big 12. They won't have to worry about that in the Big Ten. I bet Nebraska actually kind of likes the idea.

Reaction Score
Nebraska left to get away from Texas' unfair monetary and power advantage in the Big 12. They won't have to worry about that in the Big Ten. I bet Nebraska actually kind of likes the idea.

Would the B10 make Texas accept less money for a decade, a la Nebraska? That would be interesting.

Reaction Score
The UT wildcard (and the fact that no other moves will be made until the horns decide what they will do) is the only reason I believe this wasn't a fully orchestrated event to get the four northeast BE schools into the ACC (although this may well be the end result). I am pretty confident however that Pitt and Cuse knew there would very likely be a safe landing spot for other BE football members once all is said and done (if UT goes to the {P-12 which could well happen), the most likeley scenario places UConn and Rutgers in the ACC, WVU in the SEC and Louisville, Cincinnati, USF and TCU in the B-12.

Swofford is a smart guy. The Presidents in the ACC are pretty savy as well...see the first raid and what is happening today.

I never believed there was any chance that UT would end up in the ACC...and definitely not as an Olympic sports member. The Texas/ACC talk is pressure on the Pac 12 and Big 10. Nothing more...and I'm sure that if I knew this Swofford and company knew this as well. The ACC used Texas to get Pitt and Cuse. Texas is using the ACC to get what they want. UT would never truly choose an East Coast conference and the ACC would never give them the Longhorn network. Now that Pitt and SU are complete the ACC is forcing the hand of UConn and RU. It's brilliant.

UConn has probably known for months that this would happen but reading Herbst statement we were not going to be the first to apply. I heard about the ACC and Big East combining more than a month ago on College Sports Radio and that it was pretty much a done deal.

Reaction Score
I think it's best to be patient and wait for a Big Ten invite along with Rutgers. The Big Ten wants the New York market and what better way to capitalize on both New York markets. It would be also nice to have ND come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom