Maybe just maybe | The Boneyard

Maybe just maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was the lose that finally kicks their butts enough that they wake up and play lights out the the next 7 games and into the post season. I would have hoped it was the Tulsa game or the Cincy game or first temple game but here we are. Hopefully there's someone on the bus right now giving a big motivational speech. Hopefully Gibbs makes up his mind he came here for some postseason glory not as a far fetched NBA dream. Hopefully Rodney says F layups I can jump through the roof it's time to dunk everything. It's time to stop making excuses. Stop looking for scapegoats start looking for answers. Ask not what this team can do for your NBA future but what can you do for this teams NCAA legacy!!

Go Dogs!!!

Reaction Score
Sorry, BS. We've been saying for years (2010, 2012, 2015, 2016), "maybe this is the turning point".

UConn basketball this decade just doesn't improve throughout a year the way it did during JC's heyday.

Reaction Score
Sorry, BS. We've been saying for years (2010, 2012, 2015, 2016), "maybe this is the turning point".

UConn basketball this decade just doesn't improve throughout a year the way it did during JC's heyday.
Actually we've improved a lot. Our defense was really bad early in the year, now it's ranked the #2 defense in the country. Adams has improved a ton and the whole team was starting to look really good, that's what makes this choke and some of Ollie's decisions that led to the choke so confounding. It's like there is some sort of weird mental block going on and it starts with Ollie in my opinion, he is putting them in weird positions where we are losing games we have no business losing.

Reaction Score
Well...I think we are at the point where we just have to take it game by game. My biggest fear right now is that we are going down the same road as the 2009-2010 team. I know every season is different, but that team had talent and lost many close games early and was hot and cold throughout January and February. I thought that team found itself when they won at Villanova, who was ranked #3 at the time, then beat Rutgers, and then beat West Virginia who was ranked in the top 10. After the win vs WVU, they lost the last 3 games of the season and got destroyed by St Johns in the BE Tournament and found itself in the NIT. I really hope this team does not follow that same fate.

Reaction Score
Well...I think we are at the point where we just have to take it game by game. My biggest fear right now is that we are going down the same road as the 2009-2010 team. I know every season is different, but that team had talent and lost many close games early and was hot and cold throughout January and February. I thought that team found itself when they won at Villanova, who was ranked #3 at the time, then beat Rutgers, and then beat West Virginia who was ranked in the top 10. After the win vs WVU, they lost the last 3 games of the season and got destroyed by St Johns in the BE Tournament and found itself in the NIT. I really hope this team does not follow that same fate.

At least the 2010 team played in a real league with games every night you could lose and it would at least be explainable.

Now a 48 hour stretch of Temple and Tulsa or any halfway decent team in this league (there's like 4 of them) seems impossible to go 2-0 in.

Reaction Score
At least the 2010 team played in a real league with games every night you could lose and it would at least be explainable.

Now a 48 hour stretch of Temple and Tulsa or any halfway decent team in this league (there's like 4 of them) seems impossible to go 2-0 in.
If we knocked off Maryland and Syracuse, this team would be in a lot better shape. We missed opportunities early, but thats how it will be as long as we are in the AAC being that 99% of non conference games are played in November and December. I have been saying this for a while...if this team finds itself in the NIT, its because this team could not take care of business in the AAC. If we win the rest of our games except the one at SMU, I think we are safely in but I would like to finally win the AAC Tournament and not leave anything to chance.

Reaction Score

It's not the league. UCONN is not good enough to compete in this league. Deal with it.

Reaction Score
You forgot 2011 and 2014.

There's a difference between getting hot for 3-4 weeks at the right time and improving throughout the year.

The 2011 team was putrid in February, right at the time you'd expect such improvement to show up.

2014 was up and down for most of the year, including a 30-point blowout no-show against Louisville the first week of March.

I'm talking about the kind of improvement and gelling you'd see typically with young teams that went through growing pains and came together late: 2002, 2005, 2008. We don't see that anymore.

We don't see teams improving throughout the year, and we don't see players significantly improving from year-to-year. That's an alarming sign about this coaching staff.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There's a difference between getting hot for 3-4 weeks at the right time and improving throughout the year.

The 2011 team was putrid in February, right at the time you'd expect such improvement to show up.

2014 was up and down for most of the year, including a 30-point blowout no-show against Louisville the first week of March.

I'm talking about the kind of improvement and gelling you'd see typically with young teams that went through growing pains and came together late: 2002, 2005, 2008. We don't see that anymore.

We don't see teams improving throughout the year, and we don't see players significantly improving from year-to-year. That's an alarming sign about this coaching staff.
So winning the national titles in 2011 and 2014 wasn't good?

Reaction Score
If you're not thinking Tulsa comes in and shoots 60% from 3 and trounces our guys then you haven't been watching this fragile team. Not sure the players and coaches even have the same page, never mind whether they are on it or not.

I hope it's just the next day blues but for the first time in a long time, real long time a game like Saturday does not excite me. Does it make me a crappy fan? Maybe or maybe I just realize once again we are throwing a season into a freakin NIT bid.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This was the lose that finally kicks their butts enough that they wake up and play lights out the the next 7 games and into the post season. I would have hoped it was the Tulsa game or the Cincy game or first temple game but here we are. Hopefully there's someone on the bus right now giving a big motivational speech. Hopefully Gibbs makes up his mind he came here for some postseason glory not as a far fetched NBA dream. Hopefully Rodney says F layups I can jump through the roof it's time to dunk everything. It's time to stop making excuses. Stop looking for scapegoats start looking for answers. Ask not what this team can do for your NBA future but what can you do for this teams NCAA legacy!!

Go Dogs!!!

There's still plenty of season left, and they're still in the field as of today, so I'm all for this. Let's hope they respond the right way. I guarantee we'll all feel a lot better about the team if they beat Tulsa and SMU.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Different times different leagues different players
This aint JCs UConn, it aint Woodens UCLA, it ain't Skinner's BC, It aint JTs Georgetown, it aint Olsen's Zona, get the picture?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Our ship had the ingredients today for me to make jalapeño and bacon mac & cheese for my lunch… That has to be good mojo, right?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

We also said it in 2011 and 2014 too.

Reaction Score
Was just re-visiting the 2010-11 season. Surprise winners at Maui, team seemed to peak at 17-2, ranked #5. Then they lost the next 7 of 11, and fell to #21. I had pretty much given up on the season, figuring they forgot how to win. They even had to play on Day 1 in the BET, having finished in the bottom half of the conf.

My son and I went to the BET, but with low expectations. We were fortunate to see the Pitt game where Kemba hit the game winner at the buzzer. My age 15 son became a believer at that moment, and predicted they would win the NCAAs.

Of course that team had Kemba, who willed them to win. I believe JA has that ability. However, he's only a Frosh, and KO doesn't seem to want him to lead this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom