Maya's stats with the Lynx..... | The Boneyard

Maya's stats with the Lynx.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought the comparison with Whalen and Augustus was interesting since those two at one time or another have been touted as potential league MVP's. I'm not suggesting that Maya deserves consideration; I'm very well aware other players have done more stat-wise for their respective teams. It's just food for thought since the bar of expectations has been raised so high for Maya and some people are disappointed if she doesn't don a cape each game.

P.S. I tried to create a table here but the program on this site won't properly take a table. So, please ignore. I can't find a "delete" option, either. If you have the time, just check out the Lynx site on ESPN and look under Stats. Geez.....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is not something that gets one MVP consideration but the culture of the Lynx does seem to have changed since Maya came on to the team. She may be most valuable in that respect.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
It is not something that gets one MVP consideration but the culture of the Lynx does seem to have changed since Maya came on to the team. She may be most valuable in that respect.

+1, Icebear.

A rookie isn't likely to get the MVP award regardless of her stats.

Most important (and also regardless of her stats) the Lynx coach has started Maya in every game, IIRC. She may have missed a few starts early in the season -- but not for a long time. Maya has brought a "winning attitude" and her enormous work ethic to what was a dispirited team one year ago. Of course, the Lynx had some key players on the injury list last year -- and their return has been a big part of the Lynx current success. This said, Maya's contribution to the "culture" (I like your word choice) has had a positive influence on every Lynx player, and on the TEAM as a whole.

Reaction Score
She has put together her most consistent stretch of games this season in the past few weeks or so. And that consistency has come just in time for the playoffs. They're going to need her to play well if they want to win the WNBA title. Because Seattle won't be an easy out in the west with Lauren Jackson back. I'm interested in seeing how she responds to her first WNBA playoffs experience.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
as far as minny goes, don't forget that this is the first time in the past 3 years that Siemone has been completely healthy. in 2009 she played in just 6 games and she played 25 in 2010. Additionally, they also added Taj McWilliams, and Adair and Harris - so their 5 position is covered with 3 completely new players. so it's not like Maya was the only new piece to the puzzle.

i agree she's also been more consistent lately - getting her 3 point % up over 36% and increasing her PPG to just over 13. great time for her to peak...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Even Augustus made comment on how Maya has impacted the attitude of the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some players are all about winning. We've seen some great ones, but no one has exceeded Maya in that category. She carries her personal culture of winning wherever she goes.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Even Augustus made comment on how Maya has impacted the attitude of the team.

we dont expect anything else from Augustus do we?

as Eric mentioned Im sure Taj has made a huge impact also, she's almost old enough to be their mama!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Daddy, you always over state things. "we dont expect anything else from Augustus do we?"
No one said that, I acknowledged Augustus own words of Maya's impact on the team. Augustus and Wiggins and Whalen are all great players but Maya has had her own unique impact on the team and her teammates have said it isn't all about the stat line. The team is healthy and they have Maya bringing a work ethic and will to win. Maybe part of staying healthy has something to do with Maya's work ethic, too, can't tell. You always want to cheat UConn players of credit here because of some supposed slight to others. It's a UConn board people are just celebrating the players they have come to love. Mentioning one person' impact is not denying another's. I'm sure the LSU board celebrates Augustus all the time and I doubt they worry much about Maya's contributions at all.

Reaction Score
Daddy, you always over state things. "we dont expect anything else from Augustus do we?"
No one said that, I acknowledged Augustus own words of Maya's impact on the team. Augustus and Wiggins and Whalen are all great players but Maya has had her own unique impact on the team and her teammates have said it isn't all about the stat line. The team is healthy and they have Maya bringing a work ethic and will to win. Maybe part of staying healthy has something to do with Maya's work ethic, too, can't tell. You always want to cheat UConn players of credit here because of some supposed slight to others. It's a UConn board people are just celebrating the players they have come to love. Mentioning one person' impact is not denying another's. I'm sure the LSU board celebrates Augustus all the time and I doubt they worry much about Maya's contributions at all.

DaddyChoc,
I generally avoid trying taking a "personal" view of a poster's comments but I felt compelled to comment on what I perceive to your rather unfair and incessant attacking responses to Icebear. You seem determined to misinterpret his comments in the most nitpicking, perjorative way. During my short time on the Boneyard, Icebear's posts have generally be respectful and sensible. I'm not sure if you have some history with him, but regardless, it really bothers me that you would treat him in your current manner. Especially with the fresh restart on this board, it would be great if you could give please be less belligerent towards him. Thanks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well it appears, caravaggio, that you are seeing a bit of the acrimony between those who felt Maya had a great year and performed up to expectations (or better), and those who felt Maya did not perform up to expectations regardless of how good a year her team had.

Maya had a solid rookie year. but her stats were not anywhere close to what some other really good to great players accomplished in their rookie campaigns. but she does a lot of little things and is a great teammate and leader by example.

Maya is the rookie of the year - i don't think there's really any doubt about that, but it would have been interesting if Adams had been able to play the whole season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom