Maya's future in basketball? | The Boneyard

Maya's future in basketball?

Reaction Score
This is, I believe, Maya's second year in a row not playing in the WNBA.

She is 31. Will she play again?

Thoughts?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I could see her ask for a trade somewhere vs returning to the Lynx , I’m hoping to Phoenix once Dee retires.

Reaction Score
Maya should start her political career. She is sincere, honest, strong and has lot fans in her home town.

Reaction Score
Maybe it just comes down to the obvious - does she want to spend more of her life playing b-ball? She can't add much to her legacy. She would have some good years left but her best is behind her. As you get older it takes more work to stay even. Federer in tennis keeps playing because he loves playing. I suspect she doesn't have the passion to resume playing and has replaced b-ball with her social justice work. To be honest, I kind of hope so.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is, I believe, Maya's second year in a row not playing in the WNBA.

She is 31. Will she play again?

Thoughts?

We’ll know next season. If she fails to return for the 2021 season, I would guess she’s done. That would mark her third consecutive year out of the league. She’s living life without basketball. She may be ready for the next chapter in life that does not include playing. Maybe coaching or becoming an analyst is on the horizon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, Holly said Cheryl and Maya have been talking. One of the announcers said Cheryl was (cautiously?) optimistic that Maya would be back next season.

Maya is worn out from the Jonathan Irons situation and is totally chilling right now. In time, she'll be in a better position to make a decision.

I have no idea what Maya will decide, but I'm sure she'll make a good decision. Maybe she'll find it so tempting to play with Phee and Crystal. :)

Reaction Score
I would love to see Maya back in a LYNX uniform along side Phessa, Crystal and big Syl next summer (and in a Team USA uniform). If she comes back I can't imagine it being a shell of Maya past, that's not who she is. She will only come back if she is totally committed to playing more ball at the highest possible level. She is always 100% in on whatever she pursues. To play alongside Maya, be driven by her, challenged by her, to share in her intensity would be invaluable to Phessa and Crystal. What a treat to all of us it would be to see those long strides culminating in a limbs splayed, right arm rising to swat away a sure basket of an opponent or see the ball roll off her outstretched fingers flipping the laces of the net. In your mind picture that and the focused expression on her face. Truly a thing of beauty, something we as UCONN fans have been treated to for several more years than those who came to know her in the W. I love watching her play and admire her as a caring person so will always respect her choices - but selfishly want to again feel that awe at those 'Maya moments'.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I expect an announcement (no I don't know anything...pure conjecture) that Maya will be entering law school. I think she is looking at basketball as I did that done that...and I got the tee shirt.

Reaction Score
I expect an announcement (no I don't know anything...pure conjecture) that Maya will be entering law school. I think she is looking at basketball as I did that done that...and I got the tee shirt.
UConn has very good law school:
In 2019, the school was ranked 50th overall, and 51st by academic peer reputation, out of the 206 American Bar Association-accredited law schools in the United States by U.S. News & World Report, while the evening program was recently ranked 6th in the country.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why would Maya want to leave the Lynx? She loves the Lynx organization.

Didn't Holly Rowe recently report that Cheryl Reeve and Maya have been talking?
Did she? I hadn’t heard that. Adding Maya to Minnesota makes them an immediate championship contender. I haven’t heard that she has been working out.

Reaction Score
Holly Rowe did indeed report that Reeve stated she and Maya were in contact and she is optimistic on her returning.

Completely agree if Maya returns Minny will be right up there with the Storm & a full Mystics squad. I’d love to see her suit up again and we get to give her a proper exit from the league whenever she chooses to retire. Maya seems the type to want to leave on top & the Lynx have reloaded with young talent she should definitely give it another go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom