OT: - Maya's Comments on Drew Brees (Sanitized For The Boneyard) | The Boneyard

OT: Maya's Comments on Drew Brees (Sanitized For The Boneyard)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
ESPN has just posted a video in which Maya Moore is interviewed by someone at the network, and is asked about Drew Brees comments from a couple of days ago, and his more recent walk-back of those comments. I won't describe her replies here so as to maintain this board's distance from political opinions.

Suffice it to say that I think the comments testify again to Maya's character and to her well-spokenness. I'm beginning to hope that her departure from the basketball court is NOT temporary, and that it leads to a new role for Maya on the national stage, either as a commentator and political analyst, or possibly as a political candidate. Based on all her comments to date, there is no one by whom I would rather be represented.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ESPN has just posted a video in which Maya Moore is interviewed by someone at the network, and is asked about Drew Brees comments from a couple of days ago, and his more recent walk-back of those comments. I won't describe her replies here so as to maintain this board's distance from political opinions.

Suffice it to say that I think the comments testify again to Maya's character and to her well-spokenness. I'm beginning to hope that her departure from the basketball court is NOT temporary, and that it leads to a new role for Maya on the national stage, either as a commentator and political analyst, or possibly as a political candidate. Based on all her comments to date, there is no one by whom I would rather be represented.

I saw and listened to the interview. You’re correct. Maya did an excellent job.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Her message is very detailed but also very subtle and aims to bridge gaps and improve understanding while acknowledging and explaining in very real terms the level of disrespect and pain felt by a great many people. Such a fantastic person.

Reaction Score
I thin k it's very apparent that Maya has a "higher calling" that goes well beyond women's basketball at any level. One can argue whether or not she is The GOAT when it comes to UCONN Women's Basketball, and Taurasi and Stewart fans will certainly have their say in this regard. But in terms of her humanity and how she has represented the university in addition to and far beyond her being a basketball player, INMO she is The GOAT.

Reaction Score
I thin k it's very apparent that Maya has a "higher calling" that goes well beyond women's basketball at any level. One can argue whether or not she is The GOAT when it comes to UCONN Women's Basketball, and Taurasi and Stewart fans will certainly have their say in this regard. But in terms of her humanity and how she has represented the university in addition to and far beyond her being a basketball player, INMO she is The GOAT.
I wonder what that calling will be? I think she is too smart and level headed for politics...maybe a future Pope?

Reaction Score
Don't want to get political but Drew Brees has personally given something close to 10 million dollars to fund programs for all of the people of New Orleans since he's lived there...............sometimes actions speak louder than words............

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't want to get political but Drew Brees has personally given something close to 10 million dollars to fund programs for all of the people of New Orleans since he's lived there...............sometimes actions speak louder than words............
In a lot of ways it is tough to call out what Drew Brees said. I think it was from the heart and well intended. I thought that Maya did it, in a thoughtful and respectful way. I have tremendous respect for her personal sacrifice and work on behalf of Jeremy Irons. In my view Maya's views deserve a little more weight because of her actions.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In a lot of ways it is tough to call out what Drew Brees said. I think it was from the heart and well intended. I thought that Maya did it, in a thoughtful and respectful way. I have tremendous respect for her personal sacrifice and work on behalf of Jeremy Irons. In my view Maya's views deserve a little more weight because of her actions.

The way Maya explained the factual differences different races can experience when they see the flag is thesis material.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Drew is a man of great charity, faith and patriotism but he definitely needs to internalize the concept and reality of institutional injustice. The good thing is that a decent person can always learn and grow

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The way Maya explained the factual differences different races can experience when they see the flag is thesis material.
Mmm, almost the opposite of that. Though delivery in a neutral tone in conveyed a personal viewpoint that most of us really don't, and can't, experience. She is excellent and thoughtful speaker.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
What a mature and erudite response to difficult question. She has a bright future as an advocate or an elected official. And she played some pretty good basketball too.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
This degenerated quickly. I see a very short life in the future of this thread.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Every person has a different opinion of what they think of when they see the National flag. I believe that is their Constitutional right to have those opinions. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
[ ]

Great job to Maya for speaking so eloquently. My vocabulary is obviously not that broad and definitely could not have said it better.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
To continue this conversation while respecting the board's rules, let me offer a link (this time) to a recent article by another former pretty-good basketball player, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, on the same general subject. I thought it was written in the same thoughtful tone as Maya's verbal commentary, with an eye to a mostly white audience and a spirit of informing rather than lecturing. Hope you like it.

Reaction Score
It was readily apparent from the first time I'd heard her, as a freshman in Storrs, that she was an amazingly mature and elegant young woman .... In the intervening years, it's apparent that she's grown into an even more amazing woman and there's very little that I would think that's beyond her capabilities ..... You said it all when you said spoke of her eloquence and how amazingly she represents herself, her family, her university, her community .... We've had many wonderful representatives from the women's program in Storrs but certainly there's no one whose done a better job and she's easily worthy of the title, GOAT

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think this discussion demonstrates that there can be more than one truth for different individuals based on their respective experiences. For many in this country, the flag represents the noble ideals of freedom, justice and the belief that “all men are created equal.” Unfortunately, for too many, the flag represents an unfulfilled promise.

If we are ever to reach our hoped for destination as a nation where all men and women are not only created equal but can live their lives in a country where equality of opportunity is a reality and equal treatment under the law a fact, then frank discussions like the one initiated between Drew Brees and Maya Moore are a necessary first step.

For the flag to have true meaning it must be more than simply a cloth symbol. It must truly represent, for all Americans, a heartfelt belief in equality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom