Mayan basketball | The Boneyard

Mayan basketball

Reaction Score
was reading the other day about a game the Mayans played which was like a combination of soccer and BB. You had to put the ball through a hoop but you coud not use your hands. Losers got their heads chopped off. I can see it now, little Mayan kid, " but dad, I don't want to go out for the team!!"

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
was reading the other day about a game the Mayans played which was like a combination of soccer and BB. You had to put the ball through a hoop but you coud not use your hands. Losers got their heads chopped off. I can see it now, little Mayan kid, " but dad, I don't want to go out for the team!!"
Actually, that became the way human sacrifice victims were chosen and supposedly battled for the honor. The hoop was vertical, not horizontal and from my memory up higher than a basketball hoop.

The record for made shots was tied at one. I’m not sure, but I think the guys who finished second had to spend hours in the gym doing suicide drills.

Reaction Score

Yeah I agree KO didn't hold players accountable, with this method he may have gotten his message through their thick skulls.

Reaction Score
Losers got their heads chopped off. I can see it now, little Mayan kid, " but dad, I don't want to go out for the team!!"
On the down side, this is where "participation trophy" was invented.
On the up side, the trophy was actually a head of some kid from the other team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually find this cool as heck

mayan-ball-court-charline-xia.jpg

Apparently, they were trying to build a stadium near the temple when their culture mysteriously vanished. Ironically, millennia later, Temple is still trying to build an on campus stadium.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom