Maya Moore Sitting Out 2020 [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maya Moore Sitting Out 2020 [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I live in Missouri and this is the first I have hear of this. Mya should call Kim K and get a meeting with the President!
Dont put Maya with someone from that screwed up family!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But Michael Jordan took (as I recall) two years off to play minor league baseball, and then came back to the NBA and resumed his star-level basketball career.
THAT, is a good point.

Maybe she can play some hoops with some Looney Tunes also. :D

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Maya wears number 23 not as a homage to Jordan but as a reference to Psalm 23. ("The Lord is my Shepard, I shall not want...) She is very open to having committed her life as a follower of Jesus. She has put aside a very lucrative career to pursue what she feels is the leading of Christ. Prison reform is just one aspect of all that Maya is doing. I say this because I get frustrated that so many stories focus on one aspect of what this wonderful person is doing and never giving a fuller explanation of why she is doing it. Personally, at 72 years of age, this 30 year old is a role model for me and should be for more of us.

Reaction Score
So your post reminded me of something that has had me ruminating about Maya and this case. First, I have to assume adequate counsel is on the case, because Maya would have it no other way. So my question becomes how can one case absorb her time to the exclusion of her still chosen profession?
This ONE case symbolizes much larger social issues, the incarceration of black males, systemic racism and inequality in general. Maya appears to believe these problems transcend her professional basketball career. She has earned the respect of millions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maya is only 30 (born June 1989) and I don;t see her basketball is over. DT is 37 (born June 1982) now and no one would say her career was over when she quit one year for Russia team.
As far as I aware, she's not playing or practicing. She may be though, just not publicly. If she isn't, even for a player of Maya's enormous talent, if will be hard for her to come back and play at an elite level.

Selfishly, I would have loved for her to come back. She was on track to beat the records that Diana is setting and I would loved seeing her and Pheesa playing together. Here's the thing though, if you have ever heard her talking about the Irons case, she is not only passionate, but well informed and articulate. I deeply impressed by her commitment and her sacrifice. I really admire her (and her family) for seeing a perceived injustice and doing her best to try to correct it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But Michael Jordan took (as I recall) two years off to play minor league baseball, and then came back to the NBA and resumed his star-level basketball career.
MJ was also the same age (31) as Maya when he left basketball.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Maya has already had a great career in basketball. Now I suppose she is answering a higher calling. Doing what you believe in fervently is surely a laudable pursuit. To many young people, and many people in general, criminal justice reform is essential to the furtherance of our democratic society. I fully support her decision all the while hoping that she returns to basketball when she is able to do so. I am inspired by Maya, and Stewie and Sue and the other UConn alumnae who stand up for their beliefs so publicly. Recruiting young women of character is a hallmark of Geno and CD and the program. Watching them thrive and grow is a joy. Please let us rejoice in their choices and continued excellence both on and off the court. One does not have to agree with them on every issue in order to support their choices. And to call Maya a "jerk" says far more about the character of her accuser than it says about Maya.

Reaction Score
Maya had a great basketball career. It's nice to see she was able to move on to the next phase of her life so seamlessly. A lot of professional athlete have trouble making that jump.
If she decides to come back to resume her basketball, it will be another seamless transition? I just have to laugh at people’s conclusion like this one about other people’s life! No need to compartmentalise other people’s life into the way you think you should title it, period.

Reaction Score
I was only responding to the part about Dee. I don’t think the two situations are at all comparable, *shrug*.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
If ESPN 30 for 30 hasn't done a segment on Maya Moore they should.
She gave us a lot of thrills on the basketball court.

All the best to her in her latest endeavors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom