Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MayaKaleena.png
CLICK on above THUMBNAIL

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
maya averaging more PPG, more assists, more blocks, all in less minutes played. i guess i sort of forgot just how amazing Maya was her freshman year!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Maya was a bit more consistent than KML at this stage. KML has had a couple bad shooting games that have dropped average significantly, whereas Maya, even in her less prolific scoring nights, consistently got into double figures. Of note is that a) KML has one ore game of 20+ points than Maya had the same juncture, and b) she is well ahead of where Maya was as a three-point shooter at the same point (yes, Maya's percentage was higher, but that's not significant given the difference in attempts). Since this UConn team desperately needs shooters, KML is filling a very valuable role.

Bottom line, UConn is very fortunate to have both of these young women go through the program.

Reaction Score
Of note is that a) KML has one more game of 20+ points than Maya had the same juncture.
Maya ...... Kaleena
21 ...................7
31 ................25
19 ................25 (19 is close enough to 20 to be considered 20 using fuzzy logic.)
10................ 11
12................. 2
17 ...............23
110 .............93 total points
0.89 ........0.59 pts/min

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena has 16 threes in 6 games. That's 2.67 per game. Over 150 games, that would be 400. Diana's UConn career record is 323. It will become the former record. I believe Maya had about 309.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kaleena has 16 threes in 6 games. That's 2.67 per game. Over 150 games, that would be 400. Diana's UConn career record is 323. It will become the former record. I believe Maya had about 309.
i'm with you on that one. never seen a shooter like KML before. at least not at UCONN...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What is the comparison in foot-speed, for those who have seen them both in person? Hard to tell but Moore seemed faster. Maya also seems a bit longer than the KML. I believe Maya may have had a better defensive career than KML will have.

Reaction Score

Ms Taurasi's hit 318 three's in her UConn career. Ms Moore had 311.

BTW: Why are we making these comparisons six games into Ms Mosqueda-Lewis' career. Besides being overly presumptuous and a tad bit unfair at this point, is it not also bad karma?

Reaction Score

BTW: Why are we making these comparisons six games into Ms Mosqueda-Lewis' career. Besides being overly presumptuous and a tad bit unfair at this point, is it not also bad karma?
Because I was curious why many posters seemed to be saying/implying Kaleena is better as a freshman than Maya. I thought I'd check see what the stats are. I intend to continue to monitor the comparison. There is a lot too Maya game to replace.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Absolutely unfair, think about those two games KML was 0fer on 3s. ;-)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So would KML having 3 games of 23+ to Maya's one be less fuzzy a statement? ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maya averaged 17.8 PPG her freshman year. she also was 42% on 3 pointers, oddly, her highest % in college. it went down after that. KML is averaging 15.5 PPG at this point. but she's doing it in 26 minutes whereas Maya averaged 30 MPG her rookie year. as great as KML is and is going to be, i have a hard time imagining her hitting Maya-like numbers throughout the year. still, there won't be a better or more productive freshman in the country this year and that's exactly what UCONN needs her to be.

one thing that some seem to be forgetting is that KML CHOSE Maya's former number. she could have had any number she wanted. the comparisons will be inevitable, even if she wasn't "replacing" Maya this year.

i actually expect KML to be a morph of Diana and Maya. KML has a much better handle than Maya, even as a senior, and is a more prolific 3 point shooter at this point. but Maya was more athletic and a better rebounder/defender. i realize KML's passing isn't like DT's, but her handle and 3 point proficiency is closer to DT than Maya.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Forget the stats one thing that was very clear in yesterdays game is that KML is incredibly quick and much fast than many expect. She was playing the point on the press and very fast. I think she suffers from people's expectation of a given body type.

Reaction Score
Maya averaged 17.8 PPG her freshman year. she also was 42% on 3 pointers, oddly, her highest % in college. it went down after that. KML is averaging 15.5 PPG at this point. but she's doing it in 26 minutes whereas Maya averaged 30 MPG her rookie year. as great as KML is and is going to be, i have a hard time imagining her hitting Maya-like numbers throughout the year. still, there won't be a better or more productive freshman in the country this year and that's exactly what UCONN needs her to be.

one thing that some seem to be forgetting is that KML CHOSE Maya's former number. she could have had any number she wanted. the comparisons will be inevitable, even if she wasn't "replacing" Maya this year.

i actually expect KML to be a morph of Diana and Maya. KML has a much better handle than Maya, even as a senior, and is a more prolific 3 point shooter at this point. but Maya was more athletic and a better rebounder/defender. i realize KML's passing isn't like DT's, but her handle and 3 point proficiency is closer to DT than Maya.

Are you saying that Ms Mosqueda-Lewis has a better thandle than Maya, but is not quite the three point shooter Maya was? Asked because Maya shot threes at a slightly better percentage than DT.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Are you saying that Ms Mosqueda-Lewis has a better thandle than Maya, but is not quite the three point shooter Maya was? Asked because Maya shot threes at a slightly better percentage than DT.
Kaleena has a better handle than Maya did. Over her 4 years, she will probably shoot threes at a higher rate than Maya. She will not have nearly as many blocks as Maya.

Reaction Score
Kaleena has a better handle than Maya did. Over her 4 years, she will probably shoot threes at a higher rate than Maya. She will not have nearly as many blocks as Maya.

Higher rate meaning taking more shots, or higher rate meaning higher percentage?

Reaction Score
Why are we making these comparisons six games into Ms Mosqueda-Lewis' career. Besides being overly presumptuous and a tad bit unfair at this point, is it not also bad karma?
We aren't. I am. I am not superstitious. Don't believe in karma, fate, luck, or any other bovine scatology. Unfair?! Why?

Reaction Score
maya averaging more PPG, more assists, more blocks, all in less minutes played. i guess i sort of forgot just how amazing Maya was her freshman year!
This is no criticism of KML at all! Maya is just MAYA.

Reaction Score
i'm with you on that one. never seen a shooter like KML before. at least not at UCONN...
This is one area that KML has really blown me away! This is and has been my exact thoughts from the first time I was able to see her shoot in college.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have a feeling the KMLs stats will be tempered by the fact that there will be more scoring options, this year when Doty and others start hitting, and certainly next year and beyond. UConn tends to spread the scoring around when available. Nykesha Sales would have had a lot more points, if there weren't so many blowouts, and other scoring options ( I think, that was kinda before I followed the team that closely.)

Does my point make sense?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
KML does absolutely beat Moore in one category: syllables. Saying her full name takes nearly a full possession.

Reaction Score
Absolutely unfair, think about those two games KML was 0fer on 3s.
I don't see this as a matter of fairness. It's just an interesting statistic to keep track of, adding an additional dimension to our enjoyment of women's basketball.

Reaction Score
KML does absolutely beat Moore in one category: syllables. Saying her full name takes nearly a full possession.
Imagine the additional autograph signing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom