Maya is Jordanesque tonight | The Boneyard

Maya is Jordanesque tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Early in the 4th, she has 31 of the Lynx 59 points. The jumper is WORKING. Minny leads by 1o.

Reaction Score
One of the best things about Maya is her doing a victory dance with Lynx younger fans on the court after a game. I could watch that all day.

Reaction Score
You know, I consider Maya the Best All-Around Player in the world.On a comparison basis: I think the Big O(Greatest All-Around Player ever)and Elgin Baylor,much better shooter than Jordan and was floating in the air before Jordan entered college.Maya was the only WNBA player to be in the top 10 in Scoring,Rebounds,and Assist.Reminder,Big O is the only NBA player to average a Triple Double for the entire season.

Reaction Score
You know, I consider Maya the Best All-Around Player in the world.On a comparison basis: I think the Big O(Greatest All-Around Player ever)and Elgin Baylor,much better shooter than Jordan and was floating in the air before Jordan entered college.Maya was the only WNBA player to be in the top 10 in Scoring,Rebounds,and Assist.Reminder,Big O is the only NBA player to average a Triple Double for the entire season.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Willie E. Gold. you are not alone.

Big O unquestionably the greatest Men's Basketball player. the Rochester Royals RELOCATED just to get him!

You and I arm in arm against the world of Jordanaires, Russell Athletics, Birdmen, and Rumplestiltskins.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I tend to agree that Big O was the greatest all-around player ever, though to be honest I really can't speak to his defensive abilities. He was a beast.

Regarding Baylor: He was floating in the air before Jordan was born. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No one was better than Jordan. That includes Maya.

Jordan was the GOAT basketball player, male or female, pound for pound. He was simply unstoppable. Any time his status or reputation was on the line, he dug deep and found ways to reach the apex of the sport. He did a great deal to break down his teammates, including Pippen, and build them up into the players they became. In a nutshell, he was a relentless, cold-blooded killer who met all challenges without fail, as spectacular an athlete and champion as the sport has ever seen. There will never quite be another like him.

Reaction Score
Maya wasn't quite Jordanesque enough this afternoon (even though she led all scorers with 27 points) - Lynx just went down to the Sparks (81-71) and won't be repeating as champs this year.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Maya wasn't quite Jordanesque enough this afternoon (even though she led all scorers with 27 points) - Lynx just went down to the Sparks (81-71) and won't be repeating as champs this year.
Um, what if they win Game 3?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The Lynx seem to have all the pieces, especially after adding Jones and Fowles. On paper, no one should be able to beat them as they have no less than 5 Olympians on the team (Moore, Whalen, Augustus, Jones, and Fowles). But for some reason (injuries? chemistry?) they can't seem to get it together. I'm not ready to write them off yet as in fairness, LA has been one of the best teams in the W since Parker returned, but it's certainly odd that Minny is struggling so much.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Lynx seem to have all the pieces, especially after adding Jones and Fowles. On paper, no one should be able to beat them as they have no less than 5 Olympians on the team (Moore, Whalen, Augustus, Jones, and Fowles). But for some reason (injuries? chemistry?) they can't seem to get it together. I'm not ready to write them off yet as in fairness, LA has been one of the best teams in the W since Parker returned, but it's certainly odd that Minny is struggling so much.

Not odd at all. Augustus just returned from missing a month with an injured foot and missed another month earlier in the season after knee surgery. Whalen just returned after missing time for an injured foot and injured achilles and it's clear she's still not close to 100% despite what Cheryl Reeves says. Despite all that, and the uneven officiating y'day, the Lynx still had a chance to cut the Sparks' 20-pt lead to 4 with 4 minutes left in the game. The Sparks probably should beat the battered and bruised Lynx but I'm not sure I'd put my money on the Sparks given their history of tightening up at critical moments in the playoffs.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Not odd at all. Augustus just returned from missing a month with an injured foot and missed another month earlier in the season after knee surgery. Whalen just returned after missing time for an injured foot and injured achilles and it's clear she's still not close to 100% despite what Cheryl Reeves says. Despite all that, and the uneven officiating y'day, the Lynx still had a chance to cut the Sparks' 20-pt lead to 4 with 4 minutes left in the game. The Sparks probably should beat the battered and bruised Lynx but I'm not sure I'd put my money on the Sparks given their history of tightening up at critical moments in the playoffs.

Interesting read. Officiating was also horrid in Game 1 and yet the Sparks almost overcame that terrible officiating too. Poor officiating impacts both teams. Officials are simply bad and typically, not biased...just plain ol' bad. While the Lynx have injury issues, they are not alone. Sparks lost Nneka to a head injury again. She's been in and out all season. Sparks have yet to get Phillips back in action, who was to be a main piece on the perimeter and is a 2 time champion (experience). Beard has been in and out all season with injury also. Bottom line...both teams are dealing with the same issues. It's all part of the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting read. Officiating was also horrid in Game 1 and yet the Sparks almost overcame that terrible officiating too. Poor officiating impacts both teams. Officials are simply bad and typically, not biased...just plain ol' bad. While the Lynx have injury issues, they are not alone. Sparks lost Nneka to a head injury again. She's been in and out all season. Sparks have yet to get Phillips back in action, who was to be a main piece on the perimeter and is a 2 time champion (experience). Beard has been in and out all season with injury also. Bottom line...both teams are dealing with the same issues. It's all part of the game.

Not the same. Beard is back. Philips doesn't come close to Augustus and Whalen, what they've accomplished or what they mean to the Lynx. Augustus and Whalen are an all-WNBA, Olympian back court. They are not the same players out there right now and that's pretty apparent. Still, the Lynx stand a chance tomorrow night because the Sparks have shown they can gag at big moments.

Reaction Score
Not the same. Beard is back. Philips doesn't come close to Augustus and Whalen, what they've accomplished or what they mean to the Lynx. Augustus and Whalen are an all-WNBA, Olympian back court. They are not the same players out there right now and that's pretty apparent. Still, the Lynx stand a chance tomorrow night because the Sparks have shown they can gag at big moments.

But Nneka does mean quite a bit to the Sparks and so did Marianna Tolo this year. Phillips also proved to be big time for the Fever in their championship run. Sparks would benefit greatly from her 3 point efficiency at the very least.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
comparing the girls to the boys again... but no dunking, showboating etc. part of the reason "guys and some gals" dont watch.

we need to make up our minds

Reaction Score

Baylor, while a great player, wasn't close to being the shooter that Jordan was. And yes, I did see both play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Baylor, while a great player, wasn't close to being the shooter that Jordan was. And yes, I did see both play.
Just for comparison

Baylor shot .431 (fg) and .780 (ft)
Jordan shot .497 (fg) and .835 (ft) if you make it 2 pt FG avg (like Baylors is) Jordan shot .510.

Reaction Score
comparing the girls to the boys again... but no dunking, showboating etc. part of the reason "guys and some gals" dont watch.

we need to make up our minds
My mind is well made up. Little to no dunking, less showboating are top of the list reasons why I much prefer watching the ladies. Basketball as a vertically challenged player fuels my enjoyment of watching a game similar to the one I played 55-60 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom