Maya Shifts Focus in 2019 [Merged Thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Maya Shifts Focus in 2019 [Merged Thread]

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Some memes still move like gifs. I would say the Shaq gif is like a reaction post. Some pictures can be like that. A meme is hard to explainHead bang
a lot of GIF are snippets of a video... Memes are normally funny words with with a pic, moving eh

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And you haven't mentioned the Chinese League, Spanish League, Euroleague, Olympics, or World Cup. I think she had something like 25 major championships over 14 years.
you seriously lost count?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wow--selfishly I'm super bummed we wont get to see her next year, but props to her for going after what she wants. She has absolutely nothing left to accomplish as a pro athlete, she's achieved everything. She is the ultimate winner in this sport and has always been a class act.

At this point it time it's hard to rank anybody ahead of her (even DT) considering Maya's list of accomplishments:
Post College (8 years):
4x WNBA Champion
6 Final Appearances in 8 WNBA seasons
Career 200-72 record in 8 WNBA seasons
Career 40-16 record in WNBA playoffs
WNBA MVP, Finals MVP, ROY and 2x All Star Game MVP
2x Olympic Gold Medalist and 2x World Champion
5x 1st Team All-WNBA

Collegiately:
3x NPOY
Final Four MOP
4x Unanimous 1st Team AP All American
All time leading scorer at UCONN with 3036, 2nd in career rebounds, 4th in steals
150-4 career record
2 National Championships
4 Final Fours

HS:
2x National POY
3x State Player of the Year
3x State Champion
125-3

I'd love to see her back on the court in 2020 if she decides to return, but I wish her all the best regardless of what happens. Congrats on an incredible career from a Tennessee fan.
3 High School losses, against whom?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am confused. Maybe I missed something. Is there any evidence the Lynx acted in anyway to impede what she wanted to do?

Look, I don't know that we'll ever get the low down on the politics and interactions of this off-season between Maya, her coach and management. What we know was claimed to be the case and not denied by Maya that I'm aware - that she wanted to be traded. To whom? Never heard that. She got designated, which could mean a hard no or just we are going to bargain hard and get value for you Maya. Then Maya's announcement, which is consistent with a reaction to hard ball from her team.

Pure speculation, which I hope is dead wrong. Something pretty important and personal has her wanting to head to a specific team close to family home. She has to make it happen. Minn has POed Maya. "I don't need this." Off she goes - so Cheryl.... Her "ministry" desires are surely genuine and just coincide nicely with the year off. AND it just might be Maya never comes back. I think she'd look pretty good in that white collar.

So @eebmg ... would you like to hear my theory of what really happened to Emperor Nicholas?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Look, I don't know that we'll ever get the low down on the politics and interactions of this off-season between Maya, her coach and management. What we know was claimed to be the case and not denied by Maya that I'm aware - that she wanted to be traded. To whom? Never heard that. She got designated, which could mean a hard no or just we are going to bargain hard and get value for you Maya. Then Maya's announcement, which is consistent with a reaction to hard ball from her team.

Pure speculation, which I hope is dead wrong. Something pretty important and personal has her wanting to head to a specific team close to family home. She has to make it happen. Minn has POed Maya. "I don't need this." Off she goes - so Cheryl.... Her "ministry" desires are surely genuine and just coincide nicely with the year off. AND it just might be Maya never comes back. I think she'd look pretty good in that white collar.

So @eebmg ... would you like to hear my theory of what really happened to Emperor Nicholas?

Thanks for the summary. I did not follow this closely.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the summary. I did not follow this closely.

Come on @eebmg, I expect you to always be on top of everything! Head bang ;) I guess you have a life. I don't! (straight line for anyone)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
What we know was claimed to be the case and not denied by Maya that I'm aware - that she wanted to be traded. To whom? Never heard that. She got designated, which could mean a hard no or just we are going to bargain hard and get value for you Maya. Then Maya's announcement, which is consistent with a reaction to hard ball from her team.

Moore’s very public announcement comes on the heels of her signing a multiyear deal with the Lynx. She is sitting out 2019, but if she returns in 2020 (or whenever), it will be on a multiyear contract with Minnesota.

I am not sure your statements about Maya's announcement being a reaction to hard ball from the Lynx or that Minnesota "has POed Maya" is consistent with her signing a multiyear contract with that franchise.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Moore’s very public announcement comes on the heels of her signing a multiyear deal with the Lynx. She is sitting out 2019, but if she returns in 2020 (or whenever), it will be on a multiyear contract with Minnesota.

I am not sure your statements about Maya's announcement being a reaction to hard ball from the Lynx or that Minnesota "has POed Maya" is consistent with her signing a multiyear contract with that franchise.

They protected her as the franchise player and locked her into a deal, "locked" being a very funny term when used with a superstar. If she intends to return in a year, that contract could move with her to another club more to her liking, while allowing Minn to maximize value in the trade. Indeed, for all we know that deal has already been packaged at least as to the destination IF she returns. No one would want to have it leaked where she's head if she returns.

Remember when Tina wanted out, etc etc. Paper is just paper if the player has enough "juice" and Maya's juice glass is full.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
They protected her as the franchise player and locked her into a deal, "locked" being a very funny term when used with a superstar. If she intends to return in a year, that contract could move with her to another club more to her liking, while allowing Minn to maximize value in the trade. Indeed, for all we know that deal has already been packaged at least as to the destination IF she returns. No one would want to have it leaked where she's head if she returns.

Remember when Tina wanted out, etc etc. Paper is just paper if the player has enough "juice" and Maya's juice glass is full.

But Minnesota had already "cored" her. The Core Player designation guarantees the player a one-year offer at the league’s maximum salary, but blocks her from negotiating or signing with any other team. The team and the player are also allowed to negotiate a longer deal at any value from the minimum to the maximum. The franchise’s core designation is then tied to that player for the length of that contract.
  • Under Section 7(e) of the CBA, if a Core Qualifying Offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted and the deadline for accepting it passes, the team’s exclusive negotiating rights continue, subject to Section 7(d) of the CBA.
  • Section 7(d) of the CBA provides that if the Core Player and the team have not entered into a contract, the Core Player Designation will terminate and become available to the Team again upon the earliest of: (a) the withdrawal by the Team of the Core Qualifying Offer; (b) the renunciation by the Team of the Core Player Designation (discussed in Section 7(g) of the CBA); (c) the retirement of the Core Player; or (d) November 30 of the salary cap year in which the Core Player Designation was made by the team ("salary cap year" being defined by the CBA as the period from January 1 through the following December 31).

The Core Player designation be placed up to four times on the same player throughout their careers. So if a player is drafted to a particular team, under the current CBA, she will have four seasons under her rookie-scale contract. After that, the franchise could conceivably core her for the next four seasons. If a player enters the league at age 22, this means that she would be 30 before entering free agency.

This was Maya Moore's first Core Player designation. As I mentioned above, the distinction can be placed up to four times on the same player throughout their careers. This is why there is very little player movement (at least among superstars) in the WNBA and why you see players demanding trades (e.g., Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, Elena Delle Donne).

Moore could have simply sat out this year and have been given the Core Player designation next year (2020), the year after (2021), and the year after that (2022), though this might be changed under the new CBA, since the players opted out of the CBA and the current CBA now is effective through October 31, 2019 (or on the day following the final playoff game of the 2019 season, if that is later)

In other words...

Maya did NOT have to sign a contract with Minnesota, much less a multiyear deal with the team.

From Minnesota's perspective, the only reason that the team would have "locked" her into a deal (and a multiyear one) is if the Core Player designation would be eliminated in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. And frankly, that is NOT a likely scenario (though I could see the number of times a Core Player designation being used for the same player being reduced from four to three or two).

If you examine the history of WNBA/player labor negotiations, the first CBA was in April 1999. Free agency was not introduced until the 2003 CBA. The Core Player designation was there. In fact, it was only in the 2008 CBA that the number of designated core players per team was decreased from two to one (this started in the 2009 season).

So while there was some risk that the Core Player designation would go away, I would argue that it was extremely minimal.

But getting back to the points...

• Maya did NOT have to sign the contract, much less a multiyear deal.
  • Minnesota still could have traded her rights -- this year, next year, etc. (again, assuming the Core Player designation is kept, which, based on history, there are no signs of it going away).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But Minnesota had already "cored" her. The Core Player designation guarantees the player a one-year offer at the league’s maximum salary, but blocks her from negotiating or signing with any other team. The team and the player are also allowed to negotiate a longer deal at any value from the minimum to the maximum. The franchise’s core designation is then tied to that player for the length of that contract.
  • Under Section 7(e) of the CBA, if a Core Qualifying Offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted and the deadline for accepting it passes, the team’s exclusive negotiating rights continue, subject to Section 7(d) of the CBA.
  • Section 7(d) of the CBA provides that if the Core Player and the team have not entered into a contract, the Core Player Designation will terminate and become available to the Team again upon the earliest of: (a) the withdrawal by the Team of the Core Qualifying Offer; (b) the renunciation by the Team of the Core Player Designation (discussed in Section 7(g) of the CBA); (c) the retirement of the Core Player; or (d) November 30 of the salary cap year in which the Core Player Designation was made by the team ("salary cap year" being defined by the CBA as the period from January 1 through the following December 31).

The Core Player designation be placed up to four times on the same player throughout their careers. So if a player is drafted to a particular team, under the current CBA, she will have four seasons under her rookie-scale contract. After that, the franchise could conceivably core her for the next four seasons. If a player enters the league at age 22, this means that she would be 30 before entering free agency.

This was Maya Moore's first Core Player designation. As I mentioned above, the distinction can be placed up to four times on the same player throughout their careers. This is why there is very little player movement (at least among superstars) in the WNBA and why you see players demanding trades (e.g., Tina Charles, Sylvia Fowles, Elena Delle Donne).

Moore could have simply sat out this year and have been given the Core Player designation next year (2020), the year after (2021), and the year after that (2022), though this might be changed under the new CBA, since the players opted out of the CBA and the current CBA now is effective through October 31, 2019 (or on the day following the final playoff game of the 2019 season, if that is later)

In other words...

Maya did NOT have to sign a contract with Minnesota, much less a multiyear deal with the team.

From Minnesota's perspective, the only reason that the team would have "locked" her into a deal (and a multiyear one) is if the Core Player designation would be eliminated in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. And frankly, that is NOT a likely scenario (though I could see the number of times a Core Player designation being used for the same player being reduced from four to three or two).

If you examine the history of WNBA/player labor negotiations, the first CBA was in April 1999. Free agency was not introduced until the 2003 CBA. The Core Player designation was there. In fact, it was only in the 2008 CBA that the number of designated core players per team was decreased from two to one (this started in the 2009 season).

So while there was some risk that the Core Player designation would go away, I would argue that it was extremely minimal.

But getting back to the points...

• Maya did NOT have to sign the contract, much less a multiyear deal.
  • Minnesota still could have traded her rights -- this year, next year, etc. (again, assuming the Core Player designation is kept, which, based on history, there are no signs of it going away).

I knew I could provoke a real expert such as you @CamrnCrz1974 into a really intelligent exposition qua thesis if I just yammered long enough! Nonetheless, I'm sticking with all of it is meaningless if you are Lebron, Maya, Stewie etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom