May will be busy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

May will be busy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have zero inside information, but the staff just had a 2023 PG on an unofficial visit yesterday. The fact that they're recruiting a point guard for that class tells me their level of confidence that Castle will be here in November.
Or, they view Ball as a depth piece, or they know they're going to remain committed to the 4-out style of play and need tons of guards, or they view Castle as more of a combo guard, or or or....

Reaction Score
The days of 13 scholarships being filled for the sake of filling them is over. Days of 13 scholarships with 4-5 players knowing they will sit for a year or two while they develop is mostly over too.

You still need bodies so you can practice and have players looking over their shoulders for PT. The ole next man up strategy.
All that being said, having 11 or 12 scholarship players with some walk-ons to make practices functional won't be unheard of going forward.
I'm just not sure who you get to fill those spots nowadays. Mid-tier A10 caliber guys who would rather be on the roster at a big school instead of getting 20mpg in a lesser league? I think I remember Duke taking some kids in the 200s-300s for this very reason

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Or, they view Ball as a depth piece, or they know they're going to remain committed to the 4-out style of play and need tons of guards, or they view Castle as more of a combo guard, or or or....

You don't find the timing a little curious? We haven't been recruiting any other 2023 guards since Castle committed, then reclass rumors start flying around and now all of a sudden we have a 2023 guard on campus. On its own I agree it wouldn't mean much, but coupled with everything else there's just way too much smoke for there to be no fire.

Reaction Score
You don't find the timing a little curious? We haven't been recruiting any other 2023 guards since Castle committed, then reclass rumors start flying around and now all of a sudden we have a 2023 guard on campus. On its own I agree it wouldn't mean much, but coupled with everything else there's just way too much smoke for there to be no fire.
Honestly, not at all. We just finished up the meat of the 2022 class and it was an open recruiting period that was about to close. We currently have 2 guards on the 2023 roster with Castle, we were gonna be making a ton of offers to guards regardless of what Castle decides

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Players go in looking for their perfect situation — the best team possible at which they know they will play. As summer wears on, fear will start to set in and many will realize they are not getting that perfect opportunity and have to place themselves somewhere so they can continue having a scholarship and being on a team. And at that point, teams like us will fill the back of their roster, even if it’s with lower D-1 level players who you don’t anticipate having a real impact. (Not that will stop many from blaming Hurley for bringing in players who can’t help us.)
Even as a casual fan I can imagine the coaches must feel like they are in a toy store in which, although they are unlikely to get a shiny remote control fire engine, they still could get the dump truck with the back that can lift to unload sand you put in.

I think some posters are equating the current situation with what we went through with KO. IIRC KO’s players left after most of the decent available grad transfers or high school seniors were taken. There was really no transfer portal. Hurley and company have four draft picks available for rounds 6-20 in which they can get best available for depth.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have zero inside information, but the staff just had a 2023 PG on an unofficial visit yesterday. The fact that they're recruiting a point guard for that class tells me their level of confidence that Castle will be here in November.
He is an unranked combo guard. Depth piece. He may blow up, but he's not likely an instant impact freshman. I think the staff realizes what I keep saying, you need to recruit some 3 star level guys as freshmen or you won't have any depth. Top 100 guys are going to increasingly insist on minutes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He is an unranked combo guard. Depth piece. He may blow up, but he's not likely an instant impact freshman. I think the staff realizes what I keep saying, you need to recruit some 3 star level guys as freshmen or you won't have any depth. Top 100 guys are going to increasingly insist on minutes.

Based on recruiting articles it sounds like he's already blowing up. I doubt he's a depth piece.

Reaction Score
Even as a casual fan I can imagine the coaches must feel like they are in a toy store in which, although they are unlikely to get a shiny remote control fire engine, they still could get the dump truck with the back that can lift to unload sand you put in.

I think some posters are equating the current situation with what we went through with KO. IIRC KO’s players left after most of the decent available grad transfers or high school seniors were taken. There was really no transfer portal. Hurley and company have four draft picks available for rounds 6-20 in which they can get best available for depth.
Have no problem with dump trucks as long as the back can lift to unload the sand.. This team's roster can use a few.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Honestly, not at all. We just finished up the meat of the 2022 class and it was an open recruiting period that was about to close. We currently have 2 guards on the 2023 roster with Castle, we were gonna be making a ton of offers to guards regardless of what Castle decides

I figured we would go after other guards, but not another point guard the same season we bring in Castle. That kind of thing can rub some prospects the wrong way.

Reaction Score
I figured we would go after other guards, but not another point guard the same season we bring in Castle. That kind of thing can rub some prospects the wrong way.
I think it's unavoidable at this point. We currently have 1 PG on the roster in Newton and he'll be graduating, so Castle will be the only PG on the roster as of now. Pretty much have to bring in another PG, especially since Castle wants to be one and done

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that Castle and Ball can play either guard position in CBB.. PG happens to be where they play most of their minutes in HS and where Castle is projected at the next level after college. Ball's athletic measurables are pretty impressive at his age --esp. if he can match them up with BBIQ and performance on the court. No way this kid is underrated/not rated coming out of AAU season this summer.

Reaction Score
They're both combo guards.

Reaction Score
If injuries are causing us to play our 12th and 13th guy on the bench, then the season is dead no matter what. We'll likely fill out those spots with whoever has a pulse and doesn't mind playing walk-on minutes. They won't be guys who can expect to contribute any meaningful minutes on a Big East caliber level.
What do you gain by not filling all available scholarships?

Reaction Score
And options to take on more players in next year's class. This is a 4 year puzzle not a 1 year puzzle.
And maybe the odd two-fer transfer scenario every once in a while; think like the NBA with player A who is tight with player B saying hey come with me to University of X to play for a natty.

Reaction Score
What’s the success rate of someone reclassing in December for the current season? Can’t remember that scenario in terms of helping a team in the current season.

Reaction Score
I get an appreciate the joke, but, I think we got exactly what we needed to round out the roster. Hurley and the staff have done an excellent job during the off-season in my opinion.
i agree. i dont foresee any more additions unless one of the guys we're recruiting for '23 opts to reclass. '23 is where staff should be focusing all of their time and resources now that it's june.

there is literally no one still uncommitted in the class of '22 that's worth a scholly (besides yann). And based on the fact that he's not eric musselman it feels like 3 transfers is the max hurley would add in a single summer..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i agree. i dont foresee any more additions unless one of the guys we're recruiting for '23 opts to reclass. '23 is where staff should be focusing all of their time and resources now that it's june.

there is literally no one still uncommitted in the class of '22 that's worth a scholly (besides yann). And based on the fact that he's not eric musselman it feels like 3 transfers is the max hurley would add in a single summer..
Yann committed to the Bonnies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco