Matthew Wood #4 in Final NHL Central Scouting NA Skater Rankings | The Boneyard

Matthew Wood #4 in Final NHL Central Scouting NA Skater Rankings

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The top three North American skaters remained unchanged from the midterm release in January, with University of Michigan center Adam Fantilli at No. 2 and center William Smith of USA Hockey's National Team Development Program Under-18 team at No. 3. Rounding out the top five are University of Connecticut right wing Matthew Wood, who moved up from No. 8 in the midterm rankings, and NTDP right wing Ryan Leonard, who dropped one position to No. 5.

Wood (6-3, 193) led Connecticut with 34 points (11 goals, 23 assists) and 102 shots on goal in 35 games. Wood had been selected in the second round (No. 41) by Regina in the 2020 WHL bantam draft and could have played with Bedard. Instead, he chose to attend Connecticut and carved his own path as the youngest player in NCAA Division I men's hockey this season.

"For a guy of his size to have his trajectory go this way, there's going to be a little bit of a fever come draft day on who gets him," Gregory said. "I think the smart play with Wood would be to keep him in college at least another year and have him continue to develop. If he goes from point A to point B in Year One and does the same growth in Year Two, you're looking at a very special player."

Reaction Score
The competition at UConn gave him a real leg up playing against 17 and 18 year olds.
Agreed. And he will be gone after his sophomore year. Guys that good do not stick around. He might even leave immediately although the odds of that are probably less than 50%.

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
Question for those who follow college hockey (I just follow UConn basketball mostly, and other UConn sports in passing).

Do drafted players leave immediately for the pro ranks, even if not directly to the NHL (i.e. ECHL/AHL or whatever)? Or do they stay in college/junior hockey until they feel ready to make the jump? It seems that UConn Hockey needs to take advantage of the time Matthew Wood stays in Storrs, and this past season may have been a missed opportunity. To me, it would be like having Stephon Castle come in this year (basketball's highest ranked recruit in years) and then the team missed the next NCAA tourney, but even worse, since basketball can always reload, but UConn Hockey is still building.

Reaction Score
Question for those who follow college hockey (I just follow UConn basketball mostly, and other UConn sports in passing).

Do drafted players leave immediately for the pro ranks, even if not directly to the NHL (i.e. ECHL/AHL or whatever)? Or do they stay in college/junior hockey until they feel ready to make the jump? It seems that UConn Hockey needs to take advantage of the time Matthew Wood stays in Storrs, and this past season may have been a missed opportunity. To me, it would be like having Stephon Castle come in this year (basketball's highest ranked recruit in years) and then the team missed the next NCAA tourney, but even worse, since basketball can always reload, but UConn Hockey is still building.
No, not every drafted player turns pro immediately. If the player is not good enough to make the NHL club, the pro team could determine that it is in the players best interest to return to Juniors or college for their development. The other option would be to sign a minor league contract and play in the AHL or ECHL. If I was betting, I would bet that Matt Wood will play for UConn next season and then sign a pro contract with which team drafted him a the conclusion of next season.

Reaction Score

19. Chicago Blackhawks (Pick by Corey Pronman): Matthew Wood, RW, UConn
I debated Yager here but I’m not sure Chicago can have three 5-foot-10 or 5-foot-11 centers between him Bedard and Frank Nazar. Wood is my best talent on board, anyways, and could form a connection with Bedard on a power play one day.

Reaction Score
I've pitched Wood to my Rangers buddies. Doubt it'll happen, but Wood would be a high-ceiling pickup for the Blueshirts at pick 23.

However, with Wood's low skating grades, I can see him drafted lower than most expect even though his other attributes grade out well or really well like his shot, skill and puck possession.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I would love to see the Rangers pick him but I'm not sure he'll fall that far.

My biggest worry is that he may get drafted by a team that feels they need to show their fans the results of the draft immediately and convince him to forego the remainder of his college career to play (what will end up being 10-12 minutes a game) in the NHL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom