2020 Recruiting: - Matt Haarms to transfer | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Matt Haarms to transfer

DB24MTN

UConn 2019 NCAA Champions
Reaction Score

Dont know much about this guy but the replies make me think he's pretty good, or just 7’3”.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Kid is a decent player. Did not make quite the jump in progression this year from 18-19 that I thought he would. Good passer, good touch. Soft around the rim at times.

DB24MTN

UConn 2019 NCAA Champions
Reaction Score
7’3”/250lbs

8.6PPG/4.6RPG/1APG/2BPG. 52% from the field, 31% from 3, 62% from the FT line.

Reaction Score
Yes please! His advanced metrics are awesome and fills a clear need.

Reaction Score
after Haas went down last year he was purdue's starting center for their elite 8 run. cant teach 7'3.

1 year of eligibility. he's better than carlton.
I like this guy. He moves his feet well and even with all that size, he's not just some lumbering stiff. And he's already a proven commodity. Would be a good get if we can pull it off.

Reaction Score
Was initially very surprised by this, Trevion Williams has stepped up and has been earning more minutes at Purdue's center spot.

18/19 breakdown of center minutes: Haarms: 77% ; Williams: 23%.
19/20 breakdown of center minutes: Williams: 56% ; Haarms 43%.

Reaction Score
And he would be the best

And there are 20 P5 schools where he'd be the best and wouldn't have 2 entrenched seniors and a talented freshman to battle for minutes.

He's leaving his current school because of not wanting to battle for minutes.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Y’all are crazy. This kid is a stud. 7’3 kids just don’t move like him.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't be battling for anything.

The reality doesn't matter, only the perception. And Haarms looks at the roster and sees that we gave 95% of our center minutes last year to 2 players, and they are back and are senior leaders on the squad (possibly the only 2 seniors to start the year and maybe captains?).

Dan Hurley can tell him he'll be the starter and that there will be no competition. But that would be a lie because 1) that's not how Dan Hurley operates and 2) is probably not true in the first place.

There are going to be more obvious and better fits than us. Sorry.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seems like the type of player who brings his A game every night.

Reaction Score
Luckily he won't face any competition for minutes at Kentucky, we don't have a chance here with Carlton on the roster

We're not a good enough destination to convince a guy who will get top flight offers to choose us instead of alternatives when he will have to earn minutes. Is that getting through to you? Kentucky is such a destination.

Additionally, Kentucky is graduating/likely losing to NBA draft Sestina and Richards. They have 0 center recruits coming in for 2020 according to 247. Their only center on roster played much more at power forward last year.

Are you seeing the difference? Returning 28% of minutes at center with 0 center recruits versus returning 100% of center minutes with 1 additional center recruit.

Reaction Score
We're not a good enough destination to convince a guy who will get top flight offers to choose us instead of alternatives when he will have to earn minutes. Is that getting through to you? Kentucky is such a destination.

Additionally, Kentucky is graduating/likely losing to NBA draft Sestina and Richards. They have 0 center recruits coming in for 2020 according to 247. Their only center on roster played much more at power forward last year.

Are you seeing the difference? Returning 28% of minutes at center with 0 center recruits versus returning 100% of center minutes with 1 additional center recruit.
i agree with your first point but not the second. we'd trade carlton AND brown for isaiah jackson, tonight. he might be the best shotblocker in the class and UK recruited him to play center alongside lance ware. plus i dont see EJ montgomery getting drafted so maybe he returns.....and take the aggression down a notch or two jeeze

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i agree with your first point but not the second at all. we'd trade carlton AND brown for isaiah jackson tonight. he might be the best shotblocker in the class and UK recruited him to play center

247 has Jackson listed at 6'9" 200 pounds and as a PF, so that's what I'm basing my comments on. If his weight is accurate, he's basically Akok sized, and Akok couldn't have started or played any heavy amount of minutes at the 5 for us. Ware is at least closer to Whaley's current size, but ESPN/247/Rivals/Verbal all have him at PF (just as many of our posters want Whaley at the 4 to get more size on the court).

Reaction Score
247 has Jackson listed at 6'9" 200 pounds and as a PF, so that's what I'm basing my comments on. If his weight is accurate, he's basically Akok sized, and Akok couldn't have started or played any heavy amount of minutes at the 5 for us. Ware is at least closer to Whaley's current size, but ESPN/247/Rivals/Verbal all have him at PF (just as many of our posters want Whaley at the 4 to get more size on the court).

Dejuan Blair played the 4 at like 6’3. Your point is completely irrelevant as not every like sized guy has the exact same skill set.

Reaction Score

Of course he's not coming here, because he's going to get a ton of great offers. He'd be the top option for minutes with big men here just like he'll be the top option for minutes wherever he ends up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom