Massachusetts EZ Pass | The Boneyard

Massachusetts EZ Pass

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have a transponder I got years ago but rarely used. I now have a new car. Can I move the transponder to my new car, or should I buy a new one? Or is pay by plate a newer/better option?

At best I'll use it a couple times a year.

Reaction Score
I have a transponder I got years ago but rarely used. I now have a new car. Can I move the transponder to my new car, or should I buy a new one? Or is pay by plate a newer/better option?

You should be able to move it, and notify them of any permanent change, but to actually mount it, you need a high temp variation tape. They can supply that, generally for free. I've used ours in friend's cars just holding it up near the usual mount point.

Reaction Score
Don't you live along the Mass Pike? You never travel on that highway?

Go online and log into your account. If you don't have one then create one (I think everyone that has the E-Z Pass transponder has to have an account).

Once you login you'll see your "Account Overview". On the bottom right you'll see "Number of Vehicles". Click on "Review/Edit" and add the vehicle: License plate, make and model of car.

Reaction Score
We lost our transponder and they just read my plate…so as mentioned just go online and add the new car

Reaction Score
I use my transponder for what ever car I'm in. Its a new york based pass but never had any issue.

Hey. Just a quick FYI for those that may not know and may want to save a some money driving in the tri-state area.

I decided to get both the NJ EZPASS (issued by NJTPA) and the NY (PANYNJ) EZPASS a few years ago

I use both them in the same car because you get the discounted toll rate for driving in NYS only when you have a NY-issued EZPASS.

Same thing occurs when driving in NJ. You only get the NJ "discounted EZPASS" rate when using a NJ-issued EZPASS.

It adds up when you drive a lot in both states as the discounted toll rate is at least 25% from the "standard/cash/out-of-state EZPASS" rate. It does takes some work reminding yourself to swap them when you cross the GWB/tunnels. lol

Reaction Score
My DE transponder works in every car I've owned, plus my daughter's and wife. Rental car also.

Reaction Score
My DE transponder works in every car I've owned, plus my daughter's and wife. Rental car also.
That is correct. The only reason they want you to add your new car on on to your account is if the transponder stops working they let you know so you can get a new one, or if it doesn't get read they know you have an account by the license plate number and just automatically charge your account.

Reaction Score
Hey. Just a quick FYI for those that may not know and may want to save a some money driving in the tri-state area.

I decided to get both the NJ EZPASS (issued by NJTPA) and the NY (PANYNJ) EZPASS a few years ago

I use both them in the same car because you get the discounted toll rate for driving in NYS only when you have a NY-issued EZPASS.

Same thing occurs when driving in NJ. You only get the NJ "discounted EZPASS" rate when using a NJ-issued EZPASS.

It adds up when you drive a lot in both states as the discounted toll rate is at least 25% from the "standard/cash/out-of-state EZPASS" rate. It does takes some work reminding yourself to swap them when you cross the GWB/tunnels. lol
Under rated point right here…..the discount on the bridges is pretty significant if you purchase in state.

Reaction Score
Lost my transponder many years ago and it just reads my plate. So don’t think you even need the transponder anymore.

Reaction Score
I live in MD and the transponders are free as long as they are used occasionally. Otherwise there is a small fee per month/year.

My recommendation is get the transponder transferred to the new car. As long as your tags are registered in the system, they can charge by taking a photo if the transponder does not read. However, toll fees are higher (at least where I live) if you us a car that is not registered to a transponder and they need to take a photo (non working or no transponder in car). This got me a couple times when I had a loaner and my transponder but forgot to hold it against the windshield when passing the toll readers (which are not as obvious as they once where)

Reaction Score

How do they deal with both states having the same plate # in their db?

Reaction Score
How do they deal with both states having the same plate # in their db?

It doesn't matter having the same plate in multiple DBs as long as you use the transponders. That's why I use the transponders on the windshield. As long as you only have one transponder readable at all time you are good and it won't resort to using the plate #

Some people don't use the transponders at all and just use "ezpass toll by plate" but that may not work for the same plate under multiple accounts. I have never tried it without the transponders.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You can move it but have to update the information for your car online. I live in MA and use a NH transponder b/c it was so much easier to get at the rest stops on 93 and it works everywhere.

NH rest stops used to sell them as a nice package with like $20 preloaded on them. Then you go online, register to your car and add a payment method to refresh the balance.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

I've used the MassDot EZPass for years since it was free even though I travel more in NJ and NY (and I didn't want to pay the monthly fees with those). With the bridge fees having gone way up, I might need to switch to NY EZPass.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lost my transponder many years ago and it just reads my plate. So don’t think you even need the transponder anymore.
In Mass, the pay-by-plate charge is more expensive than the transponder charge though.

Reaction Score
In Mass, the pay-by-plate charge is more expensive than the transponder charge though.

Oh, is it? I have a NY EZ Pass that hardly ever gets used anymore but I don't think there's an extra "charge."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Oh, is it? I have a NY EZ Pass that hardly ever gets used anymore but I don't think there's an extra "charge."
I'm just going by what we saw when we drove on the Pike last week. Before every toll station the sign listed 3 prices: MA EZ Pass, Out-of-state EZ Pass and Pay by Plate. PbP was double the out-of-state charge iirc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm just going by what we saw when we drove on the Pike last week. Before every toll station the sign listed 3 prices: MA EZ Pass, Out-of-state EZ Pass and Pay by Plate. PbP was double the out-of-state charge iirc.
Pay by Plate is way more expensive. That's probably true everywhere.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

I must have missed it. What kind of car did you get?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I just got the Mazda CX50. Almost took a last-second look at the Rav4. The CX50 scores better in the turns, I've read.

I wanted to buy the CX50, but I was too lazy to find a dealership near my town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom