Mason Feole to San Diego Padres (11th Round #323) | The Boneyard

Mason Feole to San Diego Padres (11th Round #323)

Reaction Score
The 11th round you must get a pittance. Would he come back to try to land back into the top 2-3 rounds or no shot?

Reaction Score
Would love to see to see him come back. I haven’t watched a ton of games this year live, so was surprised to see his velo around 90 on Friday. Does he spend the offseason working out in Storrs, see a bump in the mph and jump into the first five rounds next year?

Reaction Score
$125K is the top allotment that can be paid to an 11th round pick without dipping into the 1-10 round allotment total given to each team. In short, if the Padres don't max out their allotment spending for rounds 1-10 they may have a little extra to give Feole. Rough starts in the tournament and the regional probably cost him a decent chunk of money. It is a tough decision for Feole as an injury in his senior year could diminish his value greatly. A 5th round allotment is between $300-$400K. If he has a great senior year he may move that high, but the odds of him moving into top 3 rounds a very slim. I would lean toward taking the money and starting the minor league grind.

Reaction Score
For reference the Mets drafted 7 college seniors on day 2 and are expected to give them all $5K signing bonuses. As much as I'd love to have him back it's probably not worth the risk

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
11th round? He's gone. Only way he could have returned is if he inexplicably fell into the 30's.

Reaction Score
11th round? He's gone. Only way he could have returned is if he inexplicably fell into the 30's.
Realistically what is the difference on what he’d sign for if he went that late vs 11th? Isn’t too 10 rounds the bigger deal?

Reaction Score
I see in draft tracker he was projected #163 prospect which would make him roughly a 5th round pick and $350k value. I don't see why not come back for Senior year showing you have made it past the injury, work on command which to me is his biggest downside and possibly move up into top 3 if not top 5 which is where you were projected this year. I know it's a longshot, but think its better than Round 11 money.

Reaction Score
Realistically what is the difference on what he’d sign for if he went that late vs 11th? Isn’t too 10 rounds the bigger deal?

Seniors just don't have the same bargaining power as Juniors, so teams don't offer them nearly the same money to sign. That is big right there.

Since Penders has been coach, only five UConn juniors returned to the team after being drafted. Here are the juniors, and the round they were drafted in in their junior year:

2013 - Carson Cross - 24th round
2012 - LJ Mazzilli - 9th round
2011 - David Fischer - 30th round
2010 - Elliot Glynn - 49th round
2008 - John Folino - 49th round

These days the MLB draft is 40 rounds, so that lops off two of these returning players right there. Like I said before in another post, I have given up hoping that players will come back as it happens so rarely. If Mason Feole comes back, I would be quite happy, but I would also be quite amazed. He has earned this opportunity to go pro. I expect him to take advantage of it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Seniors just don't have the same bargaining power as Juniors, so teams don't offer them nearly the same money to sign. That is big right there.

Since Penders has been coach, only five UConn juniors returned to the team after being drafted. Here are the juniors, and the round they were drafted in in their junior year:

Cross "improved" 10 rounds by coming back. Went in the 14th round to St. Louis

Reaction Score
Cross "improved" 10 rounds by coming back. Went in the 14th round to St. Louis

Cross also missed a year at UConn due to injury after getting drafted and coming back to school. In that sense he got lucky.

Reaction Score

These days the MLB draft is 40 rounds, so that lops off two of these returning players right there. Like I said before in another post, I have given up hoping that players will come back as it happens so rarely. If Mason Feole comes back, I would be quite happy, but I would also be quite amazed. He has earned this opportunity to go pro. I expect him to take advantage of it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Completely agree that seniors lose leverage, but I think there is a difference in taking a senior who isn’t a top 10 talent in the earlier rounds and giving them 5k. I just checked and Mazz signed for 300k after his senior year. Now that was only like 68% of slot but was probably more than he was offered in the 9th the previous year.

Reaction Score
Feole will do what he thinks is best for him, but if they offer him slot $$, I would hope he would stay. That's less than 100K net. I would think the upside risk (regain form, go in top 10 rounds) would outweigh riding bad buses in nowhere towns thru the summer to net an amount he will spend in a year, maybe 2. Frankly, I expect him to be offered above slot

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He was drafted a couple of rounds lower than I thought he would.

If he is offered above the allotment he will go to San Diego

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

With slot values, there isn't the same amount of "bargaining" as there was a few years ago. It has changed everything. The values are fixed now, so you can guarantee yourself more money by moving up. That wasnt the case in the past.

Reaction Score
With slot values, there isn't the same amount of "bargaining" as there was a few years ago. It has changed everything. The values are fixed now, so you can guarantee yourself more money by moving up. That wasnt the case in the past.
That's not how slot values work. Teams budgets are fixed based on slot value but players can and do ask for whatever they feel like

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
That's not how slot values work. Teams budgets are fixed based on slot value but players can and do ask for whatever they feel like

I know that, I should have said "the values are somewhat fixed". You can still improve your slot position, and not risk nearly as much as in the past when they would offer Juniors a lot more if they really wanted to sign the. It's not that you gain leverage as a Senior now, but rather, that you've lost some leverage as a Junior.

Reaction Score
I know that, I should have said "the values are somewhat fixed". You can still improve your slot position, and not risk nearly as much as in the past when they would offer Juniors a lot more if they really wanted to sign the. It's not that you gain leverage as a Senior now, but rather, that you've lost some leverage as a Junior.

Which is the point I was saying about "bargaining", Juniors drafted in the same spot will generally get more than Seniors because they have the option to go back to school if they don't sign.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Which is the point I was saying about "bargaining", Juniors drafted in the same spot will generally get more than Seniors because they have the option to go back to school if they don't sign.

Yes, but until they implemented these slot values, a Junior in the 11th might still get a million $ to sign. Now, double slot value is just $250k. Teams get penalized if they go over slot value too, so they are less inclined to do so.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Yeah, but if the team goes over slot , they are penalized

This is why Juniors' bargaining power is minimized:

Should a team exceed its alloted slot money, it incurs a penalty. A team is taxed 75 percent on overages between 0 and 5 percent. No team has ever exceeded more than 5 percent on its draft allotment.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom