Maryland's OOC Schedule | The Boneyard

Maryland's OOC Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Brenda Frese and others associated with the WBB team are bragging team is 10-0 since 2011/12. Wonder why they are 10-0 playing power houses.

UMass Lowell, High Point, Detroit Mercy, Old Dominion, South Dakota St, Pittsburgh, Syracuse (not bad), Central Conn St, Loyola and Southern. Have a game against Maryland Eastern Shore before facing UConn @ MSG.

Sagarin has their OOC Schedule ranked at 321 out of 349.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not a huge fan of Sagarin schedule ratings because it does not use a graduated relevancy system and just does a brute number approach, but even the far-better Massey system has the Terps rated at #128 which along with Oregon State at #131 are the only truly ghastly OOCs for Top 10 teams. No top team should be much outside the #50 mark now (maybe cut Princeton some slack since teams don't love scheduling the Tigers anymore), around where Baylor's puffy SOS is at with #41. Part of the issue for MD's schedule is that they've had no away games so far, with three neutral site games against weak teams in the Virgin Islands tournament thrown in. I guess when you do finally have UConn on the slate you can avoid the "pathetic" tag on the OOC SOS, and Massey has the Terps ending up at #11 at the end of regular season. A lot of higher level teams do seem to be using the OOC schedule as an extended exhibition season to get in shape, and perhaps that might make sense for their ultimate Tourney success (or maybe not), but it sure takes a lot of the excitement out of the early WCBB season.

At least the Terps' first road game comes in the next game against #271 UMD-ES, but I wonder if its that smart to have your team going up against UConn in the 12th game with so little competition beforehand. Even though it's a home game, the potential shock could send the turtles into a shell. Two years ago in a mid November game they lost by only 17 at UConn, but that was in the game right after KML got injured at Stanford and a shorthanded UConn played just 7 players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think a few years ago Maryland had a pretty brutal schedule and last year it was certainly a decent OOC, but this year for some reason any decent games seem to have been replaced with dross. Holiday tournaments are really hit and miss as you often commit before the teams have been set. The one Uconn played in southern florida was surprisingly good, but the ones they hosted in Storrs for a few years were dreadful.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Brenda Frese and others associated with the WBB team are bragging team is 10-0 since 2011/12. Wonder why they are 10-0 playing power houses. Sagarin has their OOC Schedule ranked at 321 out of 349.

Well do they play UTenn soon ....?

Wait -- that won't help

:)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not a huge fan of Sagarin schedule ratings because it does not use a graduated relevancy system and just does a brute number approach, but even the far-better Massey system has the Terps rated at #128 which along with Oregon State at #131 are the only truly ghastly OOCs for Top 10 teams. No top team should be much outside the #50 mark now (maybe cut Princeton some slack since teams don't love scheduling the Tigers anymore), around where Baylor's puffy SOS is at with #41. Part of the issue for MD's schedule is that they've had no away games so far, with three neutral site games against weak teams in the Virgin Islands tournament thrown in. I guess when you do finally have UConn on the slate you can avoid the "pathetic" tag on the OOC SOS, and Massey has the Terps ending up at #11 at the end of regular season. A lot of higher level teams do seem to be using the OOC schedule as an extended exhibition season to get in shape, and perhaps that might make sense for their ultimate Tourney success (or maybe not), but it sure takes a lot of the excitement out of the early WCBB season.

At least the Terps' first road game comes in the next game against #271 UMD-ES, but I wonder if its that smart to have your team going up against UConn in the 12th game with so little competition beforehand. Even though it's a home game, the potential shock could send the turtles into a shell. Two years ago in a mid November game they lost by only 17 at UConn, but that was in the game right after KML got injured at Stanford and a shorthanded UConn played just 7 players.
Dobbs, you've really had some fun and informative posts lately.

One little edit: That Maryland game two years ago was at Maryland. It was, in my view, one of the real stories of the season. Only seven players, big crowd at the Comcast center, UCONN up four at the break but won going away. It was just a darned impression performance.

Reaction Score
Brenda Frese and others associated with the WBB team are bragging team is 10-0 since 2011/12. Wonder why they are 10-0 playing power houses.

UMass Lowell, High Point, Detroit Mercy, Old Dominion, South Dakota St, Pittsburgh, Syracuse (not bad), Central Conn St, Loyola and Southern. Have a game against Maryland Eastern Shore before facing UConn @ MSG.

I would like to know who is bragging about the women being 10-0. The record is good but it is not worth "bragging" about. We are just waiting for December 28th.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Dobbs, you've really had some fun and informative posts lately.

One little edit: That Maryland game two years ago was at Maryland. It was, in my view, one of the real stories of the season. Only seven players, big crowd at the Comcast center, UCONN up four at the break but won going away. It was just a darned impression performance.
Yeah, ursusminor and I were at that game. MD was pulling out all the stops (including absolutely inflating the attendance figure, by the way). The worst part of the game, for Husky fans, was the absolute lack of traffic control leaving the parking area. Two tenderfoot Boy Scouts and a drunk Inspector Clouseau would've done a better job.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yeah, ursusminor and I were at that game. MD was pulling out all the stops (including absolutely inflating the attendance figure, by the way). The worst part of the game, for Husky fans, was the absolute lack of traffic control leaving the parking area. Two tenderfoot Boy Scouts and a drunk Inspector Clouseau would've done a better job.
That may have had little to do with your game. We went to a modestly attended RU game down there and I thought the exit experience from the parking area was one of the worst I've run into - and we have been to over 73 arenas when we were following RU.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I would like to know who is bragging about the women being 10-0. The record is good but it is not worth "bragging" about. We are just waiting for December 28th.
It did seem that it was the MD PR that was trumpeting that 10-o record against crap competition, but Brenda did say, "Congratulations to our #Tough Terp award winners from last night." That may not be bragging, but I just have a tough time controlling the giggles about the Tough Terp award.

Reaction Score

You should experience the end of game traffic after a men game.

Reaction Score
Read Brenda's and the Terp's WBB Twitter account.

I have. More proud than bragging.

This post from Testudo Times I think is an accurate feeling of most Terp WBB fans. (Especially me)

DSCN1178_small.JPG

 I watched the first half

then left at halftime to watch wrestling (Terps lost to #3 Nebraska 30-9, BTW). This was simply another scrimmage of the type that should be off Maryland’s schedule by now. I’m not saying the Terps should be playing every game against the likes of Baylor, Notre Dame, UConn, etc. (though 2 or three in preseason would be nice) but maybe its time for the GWs, Georgetowns, Daytons, Green Bays of the world to be filling the schedule.

Beyond stat padding, I’m just not sure how much MD gains from a game like this. They can be sloppy (and 15 TOs against this team is sloppy), go 34 on the boards because basically everybody on MD is so much bigger than the players Southern put on the floor that the Terps don’t have to fight for position or have great technique. Woo Hoo! MD gets another 30 point win

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm glad Maryland is doing well. As a side note, the more teams that pass Tennessee, the happier I am, and I'm rooting for Brenda to make Maryland a top 10 team for years to come. She may not be my favorite coach from the way she recruited in the past against UCONN (the Harper fiasco), but she certainly has made Maryland relevant again, and along with about 10 other programs, I'm enjoying seeing more talent and parity in WCBB. ND, Baylor, Texas, Maryland, SC, Kentucky, FSU, OSU, and maybe Oregon State - all teams who have really been recruiting well and moving their programs forward with regards to the national scene of WCBB.

I'm not sure if Oregon State can maintain that once Hamblin leaves - if they were more a flash in the pan, but it's great to see some new teams in there and some former "great" programs rise back to the top.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Baylor's Strength of Schedule is not exactly overwhelming, either. Since going to the Junkaroo Jam (where they played Michigan State), Baylor has played Rice, Northwestern State (note the State), Grambling State and McNeese State. Will take on Oral Roberts before the holidays. All at home. Only other real game of note -- credit where credit is due -- was against DePaul in later November. Once again, Coach Bruno took his Blue Demons on the road.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm glad Maryland is doing well.

I'm not sure if Oregon State can maintain that once Hamblin leaves - if they were more a flash in the pan, but it's great to see some new teams in there and some former "great" programs rise back to the top.
Regarding Maryland - that's one opinion. As far as I'm concerned, they are welcome to do well post Brenda. While she is there, not a fan.

As to Oregon State - yes, I know they are fortunate to have an outstanding player, so the question will be recruiting going forward, but I really attributed their rise to the coach, who had an astounding record at a lower level. I hope they maintain, they hadn't been relevant in years.

HGN

Reaction Score
I like Frese...........She's ok. Good coach , good recruiter , and good the Terps have good facilities in which to play. And I think they will go far this year in the NCAA's. The only thing I didn't like was when she sort of got an attitude , seemingly , when Jeff Walz was leaving for Louisville.

But other than that she is ok in my book.

Reaction Score
I'm glad Maryland is doing well. As a side note, the more teams that pass Tennessee, the happier I am, and I'm rooting for Brenda to make Maryland a top 10 team for years to come. She may not be my favorite coach from the way she recruited in the past against UCONN (the Harper fiasco), but she certainly has made Maryland relevant again, and along with about 10 other programs, I'm enjoying seeing more talent and parity in WCBB. ND, Baylor, Texas, Maryland, SC, Kentucky, FSU, OSU, and maybe Oregon State - all teams who have really been recruiting well and moving their programs forward with regards to the national scene of WCBB.

I think OR State will continue to get better: Rueck can coach and recruit so I'm looking forward to them being in the top 25 as long as he's there. That being said, I agree that right now they're ranked higher than they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom