Maryland zeroing in on Kevin Willard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland zeroing in on Kevin Willard

Reaction Score
Anyone notice Richmond looks kinda salty/whiny a lot? Maybe just me. Want 2 guards in portal badly, but have to be able to shoot & fit culture.

Reaction Score
They should just hire Juan Dixon. He was a win away from the tournament. I would imagine he’s one of the if not the most respected basketball player from Maryland.

Reaction Score
If I'm Seton Hall I say see ya, would not be happy with the hire if I'm a Maryland fan.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Willard is an average coach. Seton Hall has basically a glorified mid-major so not shocked he is leaving though I am a bit surprised Maryland wants the coach of the 3rd best program in New Jersey. :D As for looking at Hurley, my guess is they want a bargain. FWIW, if I were looking at a NEWBIE coach, I’d be all over McDermott. That guy produces tough teams.

Reaction Score
On Holloway, I’m always cautious about low mid major coaches who get hired at major conference jobs after one successful surprise run. It is a pretty big jump. Of course maybe not to Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
Willard is like the coaching version of Chad Pennington, good coach but average another team wants him they can have him, Seton Hall should upgrade anyways.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Willard is like the coaching version of Chad Pennington good coach but average another wants they can have him, Seton Hall should upgrade anyways.
Seton Hall spent nearly a decade regretting their decision to can Louis Orr, when they felt they should expect better than a postseason appearance 75% of the time. I imagine they wouldn't be upset if Willard left them but I doubt they would be give him the boot.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall spent nearly a decade regretting their decision to can Louis Orr, when they felt they should expect better than a postseason appearance 75% of the time. I imagine they wouldn't be upset if Willard left them but I doubt they would be give him the boot.
Thats right you move on from Willard then ya better hope you hit a hr with the next coach, now if he leaves you thats another thing.

Reaction Score
Thats right you move on from Willard then ya better hope you hit a hr with the next coach, now if he leaves you thats another thing.
But that is what happened here. They didn't move on from Willard, he left for the Maryland job

Reaction Score
But that is what happened here. They didn't move on from Willard, he left for the Maryland job
Exactly, so your not too disappointed that he left so makes it easier to move on from him, and hire the next guy. Good coach but replaceable assuming your hiring the right guy, doesn't necessarily have to be a home run hire.

Reaction Score
Kevin Willard has done a very good job at Seton Hall. Took SH to 6 out of the last 7 NCAA tournaments (SH would have made the tourney during the COVID year). That said, the relationship seems stale with only 1 NCAA win during his tenure and it is probably time to move on for him to try to get over the hump at another school and for SH to try to find someone who can have a special season. A new hire will be a big risk for SH even if it is Shaneen Holloway.

Reaction Score
I understand Willard wanting to move on but what juice does he bring for Maryland? Has anyone delivered less results with more talent than Willard? He flamed out this year and he starts with a bare cupboard if he goes to College Park.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Wasn’t seton hall one of the basement dwellers of the big east for a long time pre Willard? Idk how much higher their expectations should be.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can someone compare his first 12 years at Seton Hall with Calhouns at UConn? I'll hang up and listen.

Reaction Score

Massive contract. I haven't looked at the list in a while, but he's gotta be one of the 15 highest paid coaches now right??

Edit: May be more like Top 10

Reaction Score
Sooo is it just me or did Willard take a step sideways at best?

Maryland hasn't been relevant to anyone born post year 2000. He also is jumping into a conference that has been on the downtrend the past 2-3 years. Can't get over how he didn't entertain other schools. But hey, money talks.

Reaction Score
Sooo is it just me or did Willard take a step sideways at best?

Maryland hasn't been relevant to anyone born post year 2000. He also is jumping into a conference that has been on the downtrend the past 2-3 years. Can't get over how he didn't entertain other schools. But hey, money talks.
Maryland is a step up with much greater resources. Before this year, Maryland has not had a losing season since the 1992/1993 season. In the past 29 years, they have been to the NCAA 19 (should be 20, but COVID) times and they have played in the Sweet 16 8 times, Final 4 twice, and they have won a Championship.

Mark Turgeon did a great job at Maryland. His winning % was 0.661 vs. Maryland's all-time winning % of 0.596 and Gary Williams at 0.647. Since joining the Big 10, he made the NCAA Tournament 6 out of 8 years (including the COVID year). I guess his 5-5 record in the NCAA Tournament wasn't enough.

It seems the expectations are really high at Maryland and the fan base is frustrated that they lost all of their traditional rivals Duke, UNC, and Virginia, when they left the ACC. This will not be an easy job for Willard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom