Maryland Pegged To UConn? | The Boneyard

Maryland Pegged To UConn?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Whatever that means.

“Beth Mowins and I coined the phrase ‘the Connecticut Criteria,’ and it was based on how many points did you lose by,” ESPN college basketball analyst Debbie Antonelli said, referring to her play-by-play partner on the network. “Maryland played them the second closest this year. I think that criterion does factor into seeding.”

Maryland’s seed in NCAA women’s tournament could be pegged to U-Conn.

Also looks at GW, Jen's program.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Maryland won't get a #1 seed due to playing 11 Games against sub 200 RPI teams. Drops them to a #2 seed. Charlie Creme has said Geography is not the key factor and the S curve is. Maryland may avoid UConn and by not being a #1 seed won't be sent out to the Stockton Region. Weak Schedule may pay off for them after all. However, I'm sure they want to face UConn again, but not in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
Whatever that means.

“Beth Mowins and I coined the phrase ‘the Connecticut Criteria,’ and it was based on how many points did you lose by,” ESPN college basketball analyst Debbie Antonelli said, referring to her play-by-play partner on the network. “Maryland played them the second closest this year. I think that criterion does factor into seeding.”

Maryland’s seed in NCAA women’s tournament could be pegged to U-Conn.

Also looks at GW, Jen's program.
FSU and Tulane were closer. Meaningless.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Not second-closest. Third, after FSU (2 pts) and Tulane (3 pts).

So that means that Tulane should be seeded ahead of Maryland, right Debbie? :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maryland won't get a #1 seed due to playing 11 Games against sub 200 RPI teams. Drops them to a #2 seed. Charlie Creme has said Geography is not the key factor and the S curve is. Maryland may avoid UConn and by not being a #1 seed won't be sent out to the Stockton Region. Weak Schedule may pay off for them after all. However, I'm sure they want to face UConn again, but not in Bridgeport.

I'm making the bold prediction now: Maryland's not just going to miss out on a #1 seed. They are going to be a #3, and Duke will be the final #2.

The committee in every reveal has placed Maryland lower than where Creme was predicting them. This one will be no different.

Maryland may or may not be placed in UConn's bracket. On a strict S-curve they would be. But the committee has a lot of conference conflicts to contend with, and creating a balanced bracket while separating conference rivals is not an easy tightrope to walk.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not second-closest. Third, after FSU (2 pts) and Tulane (3 pts).

So that means that Tulane should be seeded ahead of Maryland, right Debbie? :rolleyes:
I think what she meant was that Maryland lost to UConn by the second-closest margin of anyone who is actually going to be in the NCAA tournament (which excludes Tulane, almost certainly). The implied conclusion is that based on that criterion, Maryland may avoid Bridgeport and the Toxic Two.

But the committee seems determined to punish Maryland for its weak schedule, so they may administer that toxin nonetheless. Hopefully it will be toxic to them and not to UConn. (The toxin should be effective against amphibians such as turtles, and not against mammalian life forms.)

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think what she meant was that Maryland lost to UConn by the second-closest margin of anyone who is actually going to be in the NCAA tournament (which excludes Tulane, almost certainly). The implied conclusion is that based on that criterion, Maryland may avoid Bridgeport and the Toxic Two.

But the committee seems determined to punish Maryland for its weak schedule, so they may administer that toxin nonetheless. Hopefully it will be toxic to them and not to UConn. (The toxin should be effective against amphibians such as turtles, and not against mammalian life forms.)
People tend to over-fixate on one single data point. The committee does not cherry-pick one result and make major decisions on seedings and placement based on hair-splitting over a few points in a single loss.

If it comes down to counting points, what about the games where Maryland only beat Penn State by 6, and only beat Rutgers by 11? What about the games where Maryland was tied with Washington State or led Michigan by only a point in the 4th quarter? What about the game where Maryland wasn't even particularly competitive with Ohio State?

And it's not about "punishing" Maryland. It's simply applying the criteria that the committee has always used: quality wins and strength of schedule, both of which Maryland is sorely lacking this year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Whatever that means.

There should be a Barfing Handicap for that game due to Lou's illness.

Reaction Score
I'm making the bold prediction now: Maryland's not just going to miss out on a #1 seed. They are going to be a #3, and Duke will be the final #2.

The committee in every reveal has placed Maryland lower than where Creme was predicting them. This one will be no different.

Maryland may or may not be placed in UConn's bracket. On a strict S-curve they would be. But the committee has a lot of conference conflicts to contend with, and creating a balanced bracket while separating conference rivals is not an easy tightrope to walk.
I hope so. If all the "teaching" the committee did by putting Maryland as a #3 seed in their "reveals" due to their cupcake OOC schedule was just a teaser, and now they get a #2 anyway, then I'll never pay any attention to the reveals again. Put your money where your mouth is.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I hope so. If all the "teaching" the committee did by putting Maryland as a #3 seed in their "reveals" due to their cupcake OOC schedule was just a teaser, and now they get a #2 anyway, then I'll never pay any attention to the reveals again. Put your money where your mouth is.

Well, to be fair, some of the teams that at one time were ahead of Maryland have also suffered unexpected losses: Texas to Iowa State and West Virginia, Florida State to Virginia and Miami, Washington to Oregon. But Duke isn't one of those teams, and since the last reveal has fortified its resume with quality wins over Syracuse and Miami. We shall find out shortly.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maryland's seeding will definitely be watched by many. If they do end up with a #2 seed, it sends a message to everyone that you can schedule a very weak OOC and it not impact your seeding very much.

If this were football, Maryland wouldn't even be in the discussion for any kind of 4-team playoff berth based on their power rankings.

Reaction Score
I remember Saniya's 3 pts at almost end secured UConn win with Maryland 87 - 81.
What I remember is how many fouls we had at the end ...forcing us to play less aggressive and making the final score closer than the overall game and would have ended-up to be.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Imagine if Maryland and Duke were seeded to meet each other in the sweet 16. Ahhh.. The story lines. I actually expect that will happen.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Maryland and Duke were seeded to meet each other in the sweet 16. Ahhh.. The story lines. I actually expect that will happen.
Congrats to Elon on the CAA WBB Title. ---

Reaction Score
I'm expecting that to happen as well. For the other Duke fan who called me a clown last month, Lexie Brown has had a great season. Everyone have a bad game every once in a while but Lexie have made Duke her own team and her teammates really rally around her. The question I have for Duke fans is what the hell happened last year when the talent was far more superior than this season team. You guys have the same coach.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm expecting that to happen as well. For the other Duke fan who called me a clown last month, Lexie Brown has had a great season. Everyone have a bad game every once in a while but Lexie have made Duke her own team and her teammates really rally around her. The question I have for Duke fans is what the hell happened last year when the talent was far more superior than this season team. You guys have the same coach.
Did someone call you a clown on the Boneyard? If it happens again, use the Report button and it will flag the post for the mods.

I frown on name-calling. It means the person speaking has nothing more intelligent than schoolyard insults to say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom