Maryland-ND | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland-ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without doubt, RE will have this team highly competitive year after next. Look what makes anyone think that he is going to have any different type of program than what he had at Uconn? It's just not logical to think otherwise. The program will be competitive in time, and in a few years they will be in an ACC championship game. He has 5 years left after this year at $2 Mill per year. He's not going anywhere. He will recruit his type of player, and will be competitive. Will he get the 5 star renegades like Miami and FSU? No. Those kids go to only a few select programs. But Randy will get good, solid, talented, committed kids that will buy in and they will be competitive. I don't like the way he left CT. Poor form. But I do like the rest of him.

I love the way you characterize things. "Renegade 5 Stars" - it's great.

Reaction Score
Without doubt, RE will have this team highly competitive year after next. Look what makes anyone think that he is going to have any different type of program than what he had at Uconn? It's just not logical to think otherwise. The program will be competitive in time, and in a few years they will be in an ACC championship game. He has 5 years left after this year at $2 Mill per year. He's not going anywhere. He will recruit his type of player, and will be competitive. Will he get the 5 star renegades like Miami and FSU? No. Those kids go to only a few select programs. But Randy will get good, solid, talented, committed kids that will buy in and they will be competitive. I don't like the way he left CT. Poor form. But I do like the rest of him.

Edsall is a good not great coach. he will never lead an elite team. He is ultra-conservative. Even his best seasons at UConn when we were loaded he under-achieved.

Reaction Score
How was Fridge a rule breaker? How was it expected to be a rebuilding year(s)?

2 things:

1. I am not a Fridge hater, I consider Maryland my 2nd team (went there for 2 years, and try to catch a game at Byrd stadium every couple of years), and before Fridge, I had to suffer through Mark Dufner and Ron Vanderlinden teams.

2. You misread my post. I meant to say Fridge was not really known for implementing rigid rules. Not that he broke them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Randy has lots a rules. For other folks. Told Todman to man up and address the team while he snuck out of town. Joe Pa had a ton of rules for players.

Reaction Score
Okay, do you think Kragthorpe was a better coach than Edsall?

Don't have an opinion specifically. I have said many times Edsall is below average. He and Kragthorpe took good teams and achieved poor results. Steven Krajewski had very good offenses at Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Really? You think Edsall is like Kragthorpe as far as head coaching ability? Wow.

Edsall is about 10 years older so experience will be more. I'll list background and you tell me if "More Kragthorpean than Robinson." as I said. My understanding is Robinson was never a head college coach at any level prior to Syracuse.

Here are background of RE and Steven Krajewski.

Ass't College Coaching yrs: RE 11, Steven Krajewski 10.
Ass't NFL coaching yrs: RE 3, Steven Krajewski 1.
Head coaching jobs college before "new jobs" RE one being 11 years Uconn; Steven Krajewski one being 3 years Tulsa.
Record of old college team last two years before "Promotion": RE 16-10; Steven Krajewski 17-9
Record of new team year before take over: RE 9-4, Steven Krajewski 12-1
Record 1st year with new team: RE 2-8 with 2 games to go, Steven Krajewski 6-6.
QB status of new team 1st year: RE return ACC Freshman of year, Steven Krajewski return potential NFL 1st day pick.

Both RE and Steven Krajewski had initial reaction that team had no discipline, bad character/students and needed to be "straightened out".

Seems to me RE is much more like Steven Krajewski than Robinson as stated. Had similar success (RE older so more history as head college coach), both got to more visible job, both see "lots of problems in program they take over", both have 1st year significant lack of success vs. prior year and expectations.

Take a look at the Maryland forums, 2-8 is considered more than Kragthorpean. In a couple of years the Maryland fans may be calling overmatched college coaches Edsallean. ;)

Reaction Score
2 things:

1. I am not a Fridge hater, I consider Maryland my 2nd team (went there for 2 years, and try to catch a game at Byrd stadium every couple of years), and before Fridge, I had to suffer through Mark Dufner and Ron Vanderlinden teams.

2. You misread my post. I meant to say Fridge was not really known for implementing rigid rules. Not that he broke them.

Ok - not being a stickler for the rules implies breaking them. A difference in style is exactly that. Edsall is far from proving his style is more effective.

Reaction Score
2 things:

lol, this explains all your posts in this thread.

Reaction Score
lol, this explains all your posts in this thread.

How so? If anything, you would think I would want Randy fired because MD is playing so poorly. Just like Coach P, he deserves a chance to implement his style.

Reaction Score
I won some nice change on Notre Dame last night. I couldn't care less what happens to Edsall from here out. I have to say it is strange how the people who wanted him gone for so long, can't stop talking about him now that he is gone.

Comparing him to Kragthorpe is the perfect example of how some of his haters just can't be reasonable with their criticisms. Kragthorpe took a team from a BCS bowl to the basement. Edsall took a team from 1AA to a BCS bowl. Kragthorpe was fired. Edsall was hired by a more prestigous progam*. Yes, very similar trajectories for the two coaches. :confused:

*(whether any of you want to admit it doesn't matter, it's the truth, Maryland is absolutely considered a bigger program in college football than UConn. Not by a wide margin, but more analysts would call his move an upgrade rather than a lateral move. I wouldn't, but my opinion doesn't matter, I'm talking about perception in college football)

Reaction Score
Wing, it's probably worth checking the Wikipedia on Krags. He took a crappy team and made them good at Tulsa. He only failed in his 2nd job, not his first. His entire team quit on him from almost day 1, much like Edsall.

There are a lot of similarities. It's amazing how everyone on this board completely ignores the fact that Krag was successful at Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Wing, it's probably worth checking the Wikipedia on Krags. He took a crappy team and made them good at Tulsa. He only failed in his 2nd job, not his first. His entire team quit on him from almost day 1, much like Edsall.

There are a lot of similarities. It's amazing how everyone on this board completely ignores the fact that Krag was successful at Tulsa.

I remember what Krags did at Tulsa. it's one of the reasons I agreed with waylon when he said Krags was a great hire. He still shouldn't be compared to Edsall. Making Tulsa a good team, and transitioning from 1AA to a BCS bowl are just not comparable.

If you're going to make/defend the comparison, apparently you think UConn is on the same level as Tulsa. As if success at Tulsa and success in a BCS conference are comparable accomplishments.

Reaction Score
Fridge was not really known for implementing rigid rules. Not that he broke them.

From memory Fridge was not a stickler for his players having a focus on academics. I believe that was part of Fridge's downfall. As a result RE lost a number of players for poor academics.

Reaction Score
I won some nice change on Notre Dame last night. I couldn't care less what happens to Edsall from here out. I have to say it is strange how the people who wanted him gone for so long, can't stop talking about him now that he is gone.

Comparing him to Kragthorpe is the perfect example of how some of his haters just can't be reasonable with their criticisms. Kragthorpe took a team from a BCS bowl to the basement. Edsall took a team from 1AA to a BCS bowl. Kragthorpe was fired. Edsall was hired by a more prestigous progam*. Yes, very similar trajectories for the two coaches. :confused:

*(whether any of you want to admit it doesn't matter, it's the truth, Maryland is absolutely considered a bigger program in college football than UConn. Not by a wide margin, but more analysts would call his move an upgrade rather than a lateral move. I wouldn't, but my opinion doesn't matter, I'm talking about perception in college football)

apples and oranges comparison. Not to mention, you compared Kragthorpe being fired to Edsall being hired by Maryland. We have to see how it ends at Maryland to compare.

Reaction Score
apples and oranges comparison. Not to mention, you compared Kragthorpe being fired to Edsall being hired by Maryland. We have to see how it ends at Maryland to compare.
Hold on a minute, you're saying I AM the one making apples and oranges comparisons????? LMAO!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Hold on a minute, you're saying I AM the one making apples and oranges comparisons????? LMAO!!!!!!

I said the comparison between Edsall and Kragthorpe was apples and oranges. I didn't start the comparison, I just chimed in that Kragthorpe has shown the ability to coach an offense and Edsall never has. Kragthorpe was hired away buy a superior program, Edsall was likewise. Kragthorpe was fired for driving a good team into the ground. Edsall is writing his current chapter.

It is apples and oranges to compare the two teams, too, although I'd bet 2006 Tulsa would beat 2006 UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was never a big Edsall fan, but comparing him to Kragthorpe is ridiculous. Krags was completely lost as Head Coach at Louisville. Despite having NFL caliber QB's like Brohm and Cantwell, Kragthorpe used to struggle with such basic activities as getting the play called. He would burn at least 1 TO a half because the play clock was about to run out. Things like substitutions were an adventure with Louisville. There were many times that the players on the field didn't even know what play was called (a loss to KY on a 60 yard bomb with 10 seconds left stands out as an example). Basic organization is so critical in football because of the complexity of the game and the number of players involved. Kragthorpe didn't even have that.

Reaction Score
I can't comment on the Kragthorpe, Edsall, Robinson comparisons, but I think it's interesting that K was picked by Les Miles to take over the OC position at LSU for the departing Gary Crowton (after 4 seasons). And why did Crowton leave? Seems he was ready for a new start with an old friend who told him "he wanted to have a very aggressive, wide open offense" like they had together at BC. I wonder if Crowton is working out as Randy's "dream OC"? :D

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I can't comment on the Kragthorpe, Edsall, Robinson comparisons, but I think it's interesting that K was picked by Les Miles to take over the OC position at LSU for the departing Gary Crowton (after 4 seasons). And why did Crowton leave? Seems he was ready for a new start with an old friend who told him "he wanted to have a very aggressive, wide open offense" like they had together at BC. I wonder if Crowton is working out as Randy's "dream OC"? :D

Funny how that works. LSU fans could not be happier that Crowton left, and that Krags has put together an offense with a real power running identity. I assume it is much different as a head coach, but as an OC, Krags is night and day better than the "Wizard" Gary Crowton. Crowton's offense was a mess that struggled to run new packages of 6 new players on the field while the clock ticked down to zero. It was awful. We'll see how Edsall can do to control Crowton (which is something that Les Miles struggled with).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom