Maryland Lost! (Merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maryland Lost! (Merged thread)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On an unrelated note, it strikes me that there have been way too many instances of a player lying on the court writhing in pain. Wish something could be done.

Seems like a particularly egregious example of what Gus noted.
I wonder why?
Would have to check a replay (which I may or may not do)

Was it over-exuberance by the Texas kids?
Some nasty play on the other side?
Just bad karma?

But there seemed too be not much help from Rebecca on this one.
(Although they did stick largely with the game).

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree with so many here, but I wasn't impressed with the Texas defense. Left too much room for the offensive players on the outside, late on switches, Hardly any switches on back screens.

Reaction Score
Vic Shaefer already with more NCAA tourney wins in his 1st year than Shaka has in 6

Surprised that Shaefer is such a late bloomer. Seems that he spent 15 years as an ass't coach at Arkansas? Do I have that roughly right?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn literally has the toughest Elite 8 match
kim kardashian share GIF
Hmmmm, I'd say Louisville and Texas are going to have tough games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Surprised that Shaefer is such a late bloomer. Seems that he spent 15 years as an ass't coach at Arkansas? Do I have that roughly right?
Only 6 years at AR. More importantly, he spent 9 years at TX A&M under Gary Blair, where Vic was the acknowledged defensive genius behind the Aggies national championship team.

Reaction Score
Angel needs to look at the film. Maryland desperately needed some offensive under the boards and she didn't give it. She was zip for 6 in 9 minutes and all 6 shots were right around the basket. She missed badly and didn't even draw a foul. She played like a freshmen. She needs to put on some weight and get A LOT stronger!

Reaction Score
Her pregame talk with players always ended with, "Let's show the Maryland Basketball".

Reaction Score
Very disappointed with Maryland. Terrible decisions in the last four minutes by the players on the floor and it didn't seem like Brenda did anything to help them out.
We will have the same problem tonight. We're much more like Maryland than Texas or Baylor who want to grind the game down.

Reaction Score
Very disappointed with Maryland. Terrible decisions in the last four minutes by the players on the floor and it didn't seem like Brenda did anything to help them out.
Well, she did clap after every play, good or bad.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Mulkey beware. Schaefer is the new sheriff in town.
What? Just stop. Beating Brenda is one thing,
Actually beating Baylor on any regular basis to claim the “Sheriff title” IS COMPLETELY something else and needs to happen at least 2 times in the sane season before anyone starts chirping...
Nbc No GIF by SVU

Reaction Score
What? Just stop. Beating Brenda is one thing,
Actually beating Baylor on any regular basis to claim the “Sheriff title” IS COMPLETELY something else and needs to happen at least 2 times in the sane season before anyone starts chirping...
Nbc No GIF by SVU
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear on my post. I didn’t mean this season. Before you know it he will be recruiting right up there with Baylor. IMO

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It does seems like a movement by some coaches/players to stop the plays or fast breaks by this Hollywood style "you hit me" take. Who knows when it's real? The refs are in a tough spot on these kind of actions.

This and the counter foul by an offensive player during a breakaway steal needs to be addressed. This foul takes away a very high change of a two pointer trading that for two foul shoots might not be enough IMO. Perhaps also getting the ball out of bounds after the foul shots might deter this. I think the pros have addressed this problem.
I think there is a fair amount of over reaction to contact - and it goes both ways with fantastic flops and the head toss to signify a roundhouse rather than a light tap. The refs generally do pretty well considering everything. The issue I have is when I do see major, non-basketball move contact and they do not review it. They have the tools, and the game has natural stoppages so they don't have to interrupt live play if no call was made. If a call was made, play is already stopped. There was a play in the TA&M game where a player was decked on a transition drive - put on her back, and it was just called a common shooting foul, with no video review. Part of that is on the AZ coach. I see plenty of coaches getting refs to review non-called fouls after the next stoppage.

On the breakaway - the ref has the option of calling a flagrant 1 or 2, if contact is excessive or a non-basketball move - typically it is a sloppy attempt at a block or a clumsy reach-in by the last defender at mid-court. That's been around for ever and is 'legitimate' in my view.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Allow me to clarify my statement below. I'm talking about tournament-wide.

Regarding the A&M game, I thought the clothes-lining of a player racing toward the basket by Jordan Nixon should have been a flagrant foul. As an announcer (Lobo?) pointed out, there was no basketball play there at all.

On an unrelated note, it strikes me that there have been way too many instances of a player lying on the court writhing in pain. Wish something could be done.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree with so many here, but I wasn't impressed with the Texas defense. Left too much room for the offensive players on the outside, late on switches, Hardly any switches on back screens.
I sort of agree. What impresses everyone is that they were watching MD blow away over matched opponents and suddenly they ground to a halt. It is easy to score a hundred if the other team wants to run with you. If the other team wants to take 20-29 seconds on every offensive possession, and makes a point of getting defenders back to slow down the running, getting to 80 can be difficult to impossible. And if you are used to scoring at will and a few shots don't drop, frustration can set in.

I think Vic created the slow pace and just waited, MD started to miss, and then imploded. So the defense wasn't brilliant, it just created the environment and the tension that affected MD's composure and performance. It had happened to MD a before this year but their opponent hadn't been able to score enough to make it stick.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think you are thinking of T A&M 9 years with Gary Blair and HC at Sam Houston State for 7 years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Allow me to clarify my statement below. I'm talking about tournament-wide.

Regarding the A&M game, I thought the clothes-lining of a player racing toward the basket by Jordan Nixon should have been a flagrant foul. As an announcer (Lobo?) pointed out, there was no basketball play there at all.

Clarify just a bit more please: are you saying 1) too much writhing in pain on minor contact (acting), or 2) too many serious injuries?

I think it is tough to tell what a player actually feels - Nika has writhed in pain twice, once she was back in the next game and this time she is out at least a week. And I have seen similar situations this season where a good tape job got them back in a game in minutes. But the initial pain in all cases can be quite acute.

A poke to the eye can be devastating but quickly recovered from.

The head bangs are scary whether head to head, head to body, or head to floor. They can stun, they can cause concussion and we have all read about that, or they can be over-acted. Maybe we need a concussion protocol for refs - if player exhibits excessive' pain to the head/neck, they must leave the floor for minimum of running 5/10 minutes while they are evaluated by trainer.

Knees, legs, hips - not getting into joints - we see too many, but a charley horse is one of those excruciating events that can be recovered from in seconds or minutes.

Reaction Score
Maryland lost to Texas, 64-61!
Holding MD to 61 points was impressive. Vic Shaefer teams are dangerous in the tournment
This was the biggest shock so far. Only the Michigan v Baylor contest was close to matching it. Both of these outcomes make we believe we can beat Baylor. I don't think most people yet believe this UCONN team is of championship quality. Not sure I did either. We'll soon see.

Reaction Score
Teams that rely on scoring almost almost never win a 6 round tournament because they will inevitably have a bad shooting game and lose. Defense isn't about touch or feel and it's rare to see a good defensive team choke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom