Maryland going down to UVA... | The Boneyard

Maryland going down to UVA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Down 4 at the half for Virginia. Wheels totally off the MD bus.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Virginia with 5 players in double figures, winning by double figures. Previously, Virginia was blown out by Duke.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UVA-MD has been a good rivalry through the years..... glad to see UVA get the huge upset in their final matchup as conference mates.

Reaction Score
UVA-MD has been a good rivalry through the years..... glad to see UVA get the huge upset in their final matchup as conference mates.

When was the last time UVA was ranked ?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I keep saying MD isn't as good as the media mavens think but no one wants to believe me.
I don't recall much of either.

Just a little while ago you said that with the Gray injury you expected Maryland to finish ahead of Duke. I am sure there are folks that think MD isn't as good as the media mavens. It's not a unique position.

Reaction Score
UVA has actually been tough at home lately- almost took down Notre Dame (74-71?) and pounded a ranked Florida State team. They have some players that have been around the block in ACC competition.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't recall much of either.

Just a little while ago you said that with the Gray injury you expected Maryland to finish ahead of Duke. I am sure there are folks that think MD isn't as good as the media mavens. It's not a unique position.
Yes, I thought losing Gray might knock Duke below MD. It still may. Alexis Jones holds the key to that. That does not mean that MD is a good team. They have the same flaws they have continually had. They do not play a quality offensive structure. They are star dominated and not team organized. I expect ND to beat MD and might expect both Duke and UNC to get a lick in, too.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes, I thought losing Gray might knock Duke below MD. It still may. Alexis Jones holds the key to that. That does not mean that MD is a good team. They have the same flaws they have continually had. They do not play a quality offensive structure. They are star dominated and not team organized. I expect ND to beat MD and might expect both Duke and UNC to get a lick in, too.

Expected and might are two different things. And they can't be that bad in your mind if you have them ahead of Duke after losing Gray.

How bad do you think they are? Out of the top 10?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, a top ten team, probably a 2 seed or high 3 depending how things play out. I do not think they are a 1 as some portrayed them preseason.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, a top ten team, probably a 2 seed or high 3 depending how things play out. I do not think they are a 1 as some portrayed them preseason.

I haven't seen anyone say they were a #1. Pre-season or anytime since.

Now, Tennessee? Some had them as a #1 pre-season. Many were wrong about that.

I'd also say that any team that is a top 10 team is a good team. Flawed but all teams are.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's fine. They are a good not a great team. Preseason some were picking them to win the ACC.

Reaction Score
UVA has actually been tough at home lately- almost took down Notre Dame (74-71?) and pounded a ranked Florida State team. They have some players that have been around the block in ACC competition.

a 14 point loss is a moral victory for Frese...... they held VA to 52 in the second half, good game for Maryland

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Virginia is coached by Joanne Boyle (former head coach of Richmond & Cal), now in her third year there. I think she's a terrific coach; maybe UConnCat will chime in with an opinion.

Virginia is currently 10-9 but the Cavs have played a challenging schedule. Results against some ranked or very good teams:

#18 WVU Lost 68-58
#11 Tenn Lost 76-67
Michigan Lost 73-53 (Kim Barnes Arico is coach of the 13-6 Wolverines)
#2 ND Lost 79-72
#3 Duke Lost 90-55
#24 Florida State Won 85-68
#6 Maryland Won 86-72

The games listed above are from earliest in the season to most recent. I would say that Virginia is a team that others in the ACC will need to take seriously or they could be upset.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Virginia is coached by Joanne Boyle (former head coach of Richmond & Cal), now in her third year there. I think she's a terrific coach; maybe UConnCat will chime in with an opinion.

Virginia is currently 10-9 but the Cavs have played a challenging schedule. Results against some ranked or very good teams:

#18 WVU Lost 68-58
#11 Tenn Lost 76-67
Michigan Lost 73-53 (Kim Barnes Arico is coach of the 13-6 Wolverines)
#2 ND Lost 79-72
#3 Duke Lost 90-55
#24 Florida State Won 85-68
#6 Maryland Won 86-72

The games listed above are from earliest in the season to most recent. I would say that Virginia is a team that others in the ACC will need to take seriously or they could be upset.

That lost to Pitt really stands out especially since it was in Charlottesville. There only other bad loss was to Kansas State in one of those off shore holiday tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom