Maryland, Duke encourage expansion [to 16] | The Boneyard

Maryland, Duke encourage expansion [to 16]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Maryland, Duke encourage ACC expansion They've played some epic basketball games against one another over the years, but Maryland and Duke have been on the same side recently on the issue of ACC expansion....And now, according to two sources, both are seriously interested in the conference taking the next step and adding two more teams to make it 16..."

"The ACC isn't adding a 15th or 16th school right away. I'm told any such move would happen later rather than sooner. But there absolutely is interest --and some of that interest comes from College Park and Durham."

"And who might be the new members now that Pitt and Syracuse are in? Well, there's been private discussion about UConn, who is not considered a slam dunk by the way. There's interest in further securing the New York City-area market, which means Rutgers gets some consideration. "

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/

Looks like UCONN is in. May not be a slam dunk, but I'll take a layup. My guess is ACC wants the dust to sete with tespect to the Big 12, and hold out hope for Notre Dame. In any event, looks like 15th choice most likely. Thank god Herbst awoke from her slumber.

Reaction Score
"Maryland, Duke encourage ACC expansion They've played some epic basketball games against one another over the years, but Maryland and Duke have been on the same side recently on the issue of ACC expansion....And now, according to two sources, both are seriously interested in the conference taking the next step and adding two more teams to make it 16..."

"The ACC isn't adding a 15th or 16th school right away. I'm told any such move would happen later rather than sooner. But there absolutely is interest --and some of that interest comes from College Park and Durham."

"And who might be the new members now that Pitt and Syracuse are in? Well, there's been private discussion about UConn, who is not considered a slam dunk by the way. There's interest in further securing the New York City-area market, which means Rutgers gets some consideration. "

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/

Looks like UCONN is in. May not be a slam dunk, but I'll take a layup. My guess is ACC wants the dust to sete with tespect to the Big 12, and hold out hope for Notre Dame. In any event, looks like 15th choice most likely. Thank god Herbst awoke from her slumber.

which slumber was that?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Seriously, you've been bashing Herbst all weekend when again, you have no proof that she wasn't being pro-active. In fact, given her realignment statement and short history here, you shouldn't feel worried about her taking care of what needs to be taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Oh, I don't know...maybe the one where she snoozed through SU and Pitt being vetted and approved for membership in the ACC all the while her AD was waiting on Marinate to get an update on all this expansion stuff.

UConn wasn't number 14 because it couldn't. Rather it wasn't #14 because it never tried. Snooze you lose and all of that.

Reaction Score
Oh, I don't know...maybe the one where she snoozed through SU and Pitt being vetted and approved for membership in the ACC all the while her AD was waiting on Marinate to get an update on all this expansion stuff.

UConn wasn't number 14 because it couldn't. Rather it wasn't #14 because it never tried. Snooze you lose and all of that.
what do you want her to do if they did not extend an invitation? force them to?

Reaction Score

Sounds like you don't really have any idea at all.

Reaction Score

Lots of accusations and supposition regarding Herbst, yet no quotes, articles or proof of any kind to back it up. This woman has shown herself to be very proactive thus far and not afraid to jump into any contentious situation whatsoever. Her actions, not words, have shown her to be the last person who would be sitting idly by in a situation such as this. Your personal frustration seems to be vented toward her, when you have no possible way of KNOWING what is truly going on behind the scenes. Be fair dude, otherwise credibility suffers!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have underestimated the natural momentum of expansion for some time. It is so strong that it is forcing conferences to move in ways that are not in their economic self-interest. Swofford will never get as much money renegotiating with ESPN as he would going out to the open market, but instead of figuring out a way out from under the ESPN deal, he took their word that they will take care of the ACC rather than figure out a way to merge into the Big East. $20 million will slow, not stop FSU or someone else from leaving the ACC.

It also looked like the Big 12 would hold together despite A&M's departure, and now it is frayed beyond repair. Pitt and Syracuse do not justify expansion by themselves, and there was no reason to move so quickly on those two, other than to stick a shiv in the Big East. If the Big 10 grabs UConn, Rutgers and Notre Dame, together with Penn State, the Big 10 will control NYC, not the ACC, and Swofford just has two more mouths to feed off a contract that he can't take out to market. Swofford is counting on additional momentum in expansion driving everyone to 16, and he wanted to choose first.

Reaction Score
My fervent hope is UConn, ND, Rutgers, & Louisville to the Big 10. Like minded land grant institutons. More money with the cash cow that is the Big-10 Network. Rent expansion on the immediate horizon due to the opportunity to see these historic programs in person on a regular basis, building a rivalry with Penn State, possibility of having the Big 10 championship game at the New Meadowlands Stadium on a rotating basis, academics through the roof, getting a piece of that academic consortium, numerous other reasons.

Reaction Score
My fervent hope is UConn, ND, Rutgers, & Louisville to the Big 10. Like minded land grant institutons. More money with the cash cow that is the Big-10 Network. Rent expansion on the immediate horizon due to the opportunity to see these historic programs in person on a regular basis, building a rivalry with Penn State, possibility of having the Big 10 championship game at the New Meadowlands Stadium on a rotating basis, academics through the roof, getting a piece of that academic consortium, numerous other reasons.

I believe that Missouri is in the B10 before anyone but ND.

Reaction Score
I believe that Missouri is in the B10 before anyone but ND.

Last time out, Missouri was behind Rutgers, but we don't know how the B10 is playing with people or what they are really thinking. Regardless, they won't add anyone without ND.

Reaction Score
I can see the B10 going to 14 without ND and keeping 2 slots open. Otherwise they sit back and let the other 3 conferences have first choice and they would have the picks of what's left. I doubt Delany does that. At least I hope not.

Reaction Score
I can see the B10 going to 14 without ND and keeping 2 slots open. Otherwise they sit back and let the other 3 conferences have first choice and they would have the picks of what's left. I doubt Delany does that. At least I hope not.

Why would they do this? Why would they split the pie?

Reaction Score
Why is anyone else doing it?

To expand the pie.

This is the main difference between the ACC and Big10. Big10 pays out $26 million per school. The ACC pays out $13 million. Big10 needs schools that will bring in a big amount of extra pie. ACC is throwing hail marys hoping to expand its pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom