Maryland defensive ace Morsell eager to guard UConn's Bouknight | The Boneyard

Maryland defensive ace Morsell eager to guard UConn's Bouknight

Reaction Score
That game in 2015 at MSG really infuriated me when the refs called a BS foul on Jalen Adams with like 5 minutes to go

Get em back

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
I seem to remember an article like this about a “defensive stopper” 10 years ago on Bucknell that was ready to lock up Kemba.. we all know how that went

Bryan Cohen Predicts He Will Shut Down UConn Point Guard Kemba Walker in Opening Round (Video) - NESN.com

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
morsell (hehe, 'more sell' ie, more hype than truth. bigbust's dpoy? sez everything) is a squirrelly dude, and highly capable of emotionally cracking with the right pinprick. i expect him to believe his hype, and try on o to just force his wonderfulness. iffn a few calls early don't go his way, eggshell city. on the udder hand, i fully expect ayala to be steady.
to my eyes, he won dpoy simply bcuz he runs around more than the rest of the 'feet stuck in the mud' conference. think aboot it -can anyone recall a high-flying, run u out of the gym team from there in the last ... million years? sheer coincidence that they haven't won in 2 decades? i think not. someone should tell them that bball ain't football.

Last edited:

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
BigErn was also angry.
lndvGYU.gif

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Not a lot of bulletin board material in there. Turgeon was very complimentary of UConn and Bouk.

"But they (UConn) have got a lot of really good players. There's a reason they're a 7-seed and finished third in the Big East. They have really good players but Bouknight's the best offensively for them. He's terrific. Looks like an NBA player to me."

"I think the biggest separation in our teams is how well they offensive rebound. It's not a big priority for us. Transition defense is a bigger priority," Turgeon added. "We have to box out extremely well to beat this team Saturday night."

Although Turgeon did compare us to Rutgers, which is HIGHLY offensive.

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Bouk is better when he lets the game come to him. I hope he doesn’t force it up in a pissing contest with the DPOY. I want my forces into the post for Adama and I want RJ getting into the mid range early. Everyone else will get theirs in flow. I also want a early heat check for Polley when he gets in.

Reaction Score
Bouknight is going to get a lot of defensive pressure so we need our other guys to step up. The one proble,? Our other guys are VERY inconsistent. I would feel 100 times better if Vital were here

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Bouk is better when he lets the game come to him. I hope he doesn’t force it up in a pissing contest with the DPOY. I want my forces into the post for Adama and I want RJ getting into the mid range early. Everyone else will get theirs in flow. I also want a early heat check for Polley when he gets in.
100%. Whether its Polley, Cole, Bouk or Gaffney, we need to hit a few 3s and jump-shots early so our shooters get rhythm and keep the defense honest. We struggle in games when we get one dimensional offensively, usually when we heavily rely on the post game, and no one can make a shot once Sanogo hits the bench. We can and should beat Maryland inside with Sanogo, but can't do it at the expense of not getting our guards' shots lathered up early on.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
100%. Whether its Polley, Cole, Bouk or Gaffney, we need to hit a few 3s and jump-shots early so our shooters get rhythm and keep the defense honest. We struggle in games when we get one dimensional offensively, usually when we heavily rely on the post game, and no one can make a shot once Sanogo hits the bench. We can and should beat Maryland inside with Sanogo, but can't do it at the expense of not getting our guards' shots lathered up early on.
we will hit 3's. their coach specifically stated aboot our o board specialness, ergo a game plan to have their d remain closer to home, to protect against tyrese, adama, and james going all putback city on them, ergo, james not having 3 guys trying to clock him in the head out there (they'll save that nonsense for his paint presence), and rj getting a moment to collect himself, then raining it. same for typo. oft stated, barely noticed -the year where seemingly few teams can make the extra pass. we have, we do, and we will.

Reaction Score
We need to control tempo and make 3's. Said it before and I will say it again this game has Tyler Phommachanh written all over it.

Reaction Score
I like to hear that they're switch-happy. Hopefully Hurley goes matchup-hunting fairly often.

Reaction Score
Exactly, you and Ok4forPrez are correct. It can’t be about Bouk vs Morsell. The biggest advantage is the post with Sanogo and a dose of Carlton, but it can’t disrupt others from getting their shots. Bouk doesn’t have to be RIP Hamilton, Kemba, or Bazz, that’s not fair to put that on him.

Reaction Score
I like to hear that they're switch-happy. Hopefully Hurley goes matchup-hunting fairly often.
yup and they don't have anyone that can guard Sanogo in the post. If PnRs get Morsell or Ayala on Sanogo or hell, Carlton, that works in the Huskies favor. Plus, Jairus Hamilton and Galin Smith don’t have the footspeed to keep up with Bouk/Martin/Cole (assuming he passes protocol). For this reason, Hamilton and Galin Smith don’t like playing the PnRs and usually stay in the paint so those are the rare occasions Maryland doesn’t switch. 15 footers or 3 pointers should be available off the PnRs when it involves those two defenders.

If there was a time for Polley to find his groove and Martin to break out his annoying slump, it’s now. Martin has been aggravating me with his lousy play. I love Martin and his toughness, but Chudier Bile is a better player and he shut down Damien Jefferson in that final.

Maryland poses a tough match up, but they are far from unbeatable (lost to Penn State twice).

Oddly enough, I think Georgetown and Marquette match up better against Maryland than UConn does, but UConn has some advantages to attack Maryland’s vulnerabilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom