Maryland "coach-in-waiting" is PSU head man, hmmmmm. | The Boneyard

Maryland "coach-in-waiting" is PSU head man, hmmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Funny how it all played out.

Friedgen (who BTW just landed as the Rutgers OC) was fired by Maryland. Franklin had been the coach in waiting under Friedgen but took the Vandy job, leaving the Maryland job open. (Wow, did Maryland screw that up judging by Franklin's quality as a head man).

Edsall wet himself over the opportunity to coach the Terps. His decision to go to Maryland means he missed the Penn State opening the following year. Another winning year at UConn would have put him solidly in the Penn State derby. Remember at the time, running a clean program was a very high priority at PSU. Not saying Edsall gets the job but highly likely he gets interviewed and considered. Eventually O'Brien gets the PSU job.

So Edsall slides into a sink hole at Maryland while Franklin wins at Vandy. A couple of years later, faster than anyone imagined, O'Brien leaves PSU. After his performance in College Park, Edsall would be poison for the PSU AD. He is not even on the gets a sniff list. Franklin gets the PSU gig.

Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Friedgen (who BTW just landed as the Rutgers OC) was fired by Maryland. Franklin had been the coach in waiting under Friedgen but took the Vandy job, leaving the Maryland job open. (Wow, did Maryland screw that up judging by Franklin's quality as a head man).

Edsall wet himself over the opportunity to coach the Terps. His decision to go to Maryland means he missed the Penn State opening the following year. Another winning year at UConn would have put him solidly in the Penn State derby. Remember at the time, running a clean program was a very high priority at PSU. Not saying Edsall gets the job but highly likely he gets interviewed and considered. Eventually O'Brien get the PSU job.

So Edsall sides into a sink hole at Maryland while Franklin wins at Vandy. A couple of years later, faster than anyone imagined, O'Brien leaves PSU. After his performance in College Park, Edsall would be poison for the PSU AD. He is not even on the gets a sniff list. Franklin gets the PSU gig.

Hmmmm.

Dreamers gotta dream.

Reaction Score
Good points. The real funny thing is that if Edsall had stayed at UConn and interviewed with Penn St, UConn fans would have understood as Edsall was from Pennsylvania and, well, Penn St is the top FBS program in the Northeast. If Edsall had gotten the Penn St job, he would have left UConn with much better feelings on all sides.

And, UConn doesn't hire Paul Pasqualoni. PP was hired in January 2011 by Jeff Hathaway and Hathaway was pushed out in the summer of 2011. Maybe, Edsall stayed and UConn was respectable in football or UConn hired a good football coach and performed well. And, UConn goes to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Good points. The real funny thing is that if Edsall had stayed at UConn and interviewed with Penn St, UConn fans would have understood as Edsall was from Pennsylvania and, well, Penn St is the top FBS program in the Northeast. If Edsall had gotten the Penn St job, he would have left UConn with much better feelings on all sides.

And, UConn doesn't hire Paul Pasqualoni. PP was hired in January 2011 by Jeff Hathaway and Hathaway was pushed out in the summer of 2011. Maybe, Edsall stayed and UConn was respectable in football or UConn hired a good football coach and performed well. And, UConn goes to the ACC.
So I guess this says that at least FHCRE got his just desserts. As in #K em.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Good points. The real funny thing is that if Edsall had stayed at UConn and interviewed with Penn St, UConn fans would have understood as Edsall was from Pennsylvania and, well, Penn St is the top FBS program in the Northeast.

For what its worth, his hometown of Glen Rock, PA is half the distance to College Park, MD as it is to Happy Valley.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
This thread is the early frontrunner for the "Who Cares Thread of the Year" award.

Who cares thread if the year 2011.

Reaction Score

That really depends on whether or not Edsall was man enough to tell the team he was leaving rather than being a hypocrite forcing Jordan Todman to do what he couldn't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread is the early frontrunner for the "Who Cares Thread of the Year" award.
Nah it is the frontrunner for the "Way to introduce a new 'It's all Randy's fault' thread three years after he left the program" Award.

Personally, I think it is a fine exhibition of the creative use of the transitive property on a sports bulletin board.

Reaction Score
Let it go Palatine. I swear, you will feel so much better. How many years has it been since Coach Edsall left? And you are still bitter?

Reaction Score
Let it go Palatine. I swear, you will feel so much better. How many years has it been since Coach Edsall left? And you are still bitter?

I live in DC. This was a subject of discussion on sports radio on my way to work. I found it interesting and thought I would share. I'm sure others found the interrelated nature of college coaching interesting as well.

BTW, I feel great.

Reaction Score
This thread is like Obama blaming Bush (or the Tea party) for his troubles. Worthless

Reaction Score
I live in DC. This was a subject of discussion on sports radio on my way to work. I found it interesting and thought I would share. I'm sure others found the interrelated nature of college coaching interesting as well.

BTW, I feel great.
Hey Palatine; I thought it was an interesting Post.

Reaction Score

...Edsall wet himself over the opportunity to coach the Terps. His decision to go to Maryland means he missed the Penn State opening the following year. Another winning year at UConn would have put him solidly in the Penn State derby...

I too, have thought along these lines in the past. My conclusion is that Hathaway must have been an even bigger douchnozzle than we ever imagined. FHCRE sabotaged his own career to get away from him.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
from all

BTW, I feel great.

You're employed?!

Reaction Score
FWIW...Franklin referred to PSU as his 'dream job' too. Guess FHCRE didn't dream big enough...or maybe he knew about The Peter Principle and figured he fit the mold.

Reaction Score
There are none so blind as those who close their own eyes.

We are still pining for FHCRE, that if he stayed another year we would be in the ACC/B1G. I think this thread is worthless, we can't blame RE for the problems PP caused.

Reaction Score
We are still pining for FHCRE, that if he stayed another year we would be in the ACC/B1G. I think this thread is worthless, we can't blame RE for the problems PP caused.

This thread takes no position on anything in your post. It is simply a recap of what happened per the PSU job.

Reaction Score
This thread takes no position on anything in your post. It is simply a recap of what happened per the PSU job.

Ok... i thought some were pining for RE instead of the trainwreck PP was. I think BD will restore UConn FB.
I think BD will be a great hire...

Reaction Score
Ok... i thought some were pining for RE instead of the trainwreck PP was. I think BD will restore UConn FB.
I think BD will be a great hire...

I sincerely hope that turns out to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom