OT: - Mary Tyler Moore Has Died | The Boneyard

OT: Mary Tyler Moore Has Died

Reaction Score
Actress Mary Tyler Moore passed away Wednesday, her publicist said.

She was 80 years old and had battled diabetes for decades.

"A groundbreaking actress, producer, and passionate advocate for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Mary will be remembered as a fearless visionary who turned the world on with her smile," her publicist Mara Buxbaum said.

Moore told the Chicago Tribune in 2004 that she’d undergone several laser surgeries to treat her deteriorating vision. She said considerable “splotchiness and dimming” in her eyes were a problem.

Vision problems forced her to give up her cherished ballet and horseback riding, she told USA Today, but she replaced them with other forms of exercise, including Pilates.

She carried a loaded syringe in her pocket while dining out so she could give herself a quick injection of insulin if needed, she said in 2009.

"I shoot myself right through my clothes there at the table, right here in my thigh. I seldom wear white as a result," she told the newspaper.

She later underwent brain surgery in 2011.

[MORE]

Godspeed you brave and funny lady.

R.I.P. Mary Tyler More.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear that. She was a talented woman who figured prominently in two classic sitcoms. Pretty, funny, a good dancer she was a triple threat.

the_mary_tyler_moore_show_intro__hat_toss__by_jamesviayoutube-d707kfu.jpg

RIP

Reaction Score
She lent her name and involvement to the charity close to my heart. While Diabetes has not been eliminated, great strides have been made through the efforts MTM supported.
Mary was everybody's BFF

Reaction Score

"A groundbreaking actress, producer, and passionate advocate for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Mary will be remembered as a fearless visionary who turned the world on with her smile," her publicist Mara Buxbaum said.

Moore told the Chicago Tribune in 2004 that she’d undergone several laser surgeries to treat her deteriorating vision. She said considerable “splotchiness and dimming” in her eyes were a problem.

Vision problems forced her to give up her cherished ballet and horseback riding, she told USA Today, but she replaced them with other forms of exercise, including Pilates.

She carried a loaded syringe in her pocket while dining out so she could give herself a quick injection of insulin if needed, she said in 2009.

"I shoot myself right through my clothes there at the table, right here in my thigh. I seldom wear white as a result," she told the newspaper.

She later underwent brain surgery in 2011.

[MORE]

Godspeed you brave and funny lady.

R.I.P. Mary Tyler More.

10 million guys had great crushes on Laura Petrie. O -----Rob--rings in my ear. Beautiful, cute, darling, the perfect depiction of a 60/50's devoted wife and mother--with the gutz to stand up and be noticed. Recently a color version of 2 of their more "unusual" shows were seen on TV. Great dancer, good singer, and a more than good actress.
I already miss her!! Than you Mary Tyler Moore --for all the pleasure you gave my wife and me --Thank you
I can't say Rest in Peace but I can say ---those that missed your Richard Diamond or Dick Van Dyke shows --missed the best of MTM...

Reaction Score
She lent her name and involvement to the charity close to my heart. While Diabetes has not been eliminated, great strides have been made through the efforts MTM supported.
Mary was everybody's BFF

Diabetes---those who fail to regularly have blood testing --and have that horrid ailment in their family history--are worst than fool hardy---without regular medical viewing their health--are asking for death sentence. there is no effective cure yet,
but as Mary has shown--life can be prolonged--and there is nothing if not life. If I sound angry--this subject makes me so.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I remember her most from Ordinary People. Great role, great film.

Rest In Peace, Mary. You made it after all.
Yes, what a great movie. An all-time favorite. As was she.

This breaks my heart. She was my second crush after Annette Funicello.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I feel sad and even a bit sorry for the younger generation(s) today because they don't know first-hand why MTM was so important, not just in our popular culture but in (IMHO) our American culture writ large. She really set the table for many who followed her lead. For that, I think she's undersold.

If it's odd to feel sorry for those who don't feel a sense of loss in their bones today then maybe it's because I know they also can't call up the memories of just how great this woman was or how inspirational and ground-breaking she was for so many. I was young in the 70s but my whole family watched her show and I understood at the time what it represented.

One of my college English professors was fond of the old adage, "Show, don't tell." I have to think that through the portrayals of her (truly priceless) TV characters, MTM actually had more of a lasting impact on people than any activist or writer of her time--by showing rather than telling. She really moved the dial, and by more than just a little bit.

She was vulnerable yet strong; grounded and humble, yet ebullient (that smile...come on!). She was classy--even iconically so--while still remaining completely and utterly 'real' and identifiable to millions, seemingly without pretense. And she made her craft look easy.

Another legend lost, but what a legacy.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom