Martin is a great role player | The Boneyard

Martin is a great role player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The dude rebounds ok. Will fill a lane very well. Has a bit of handle. That reverse 2 handed dunk was really nice. That dunk was potential NBA player good. That may be a stretch to say at this point in his career, but he does a lot of things pretty well.

On the negative side, he's been a bit of a blackhole at times. Not much today though. In general he may try to do too much. Maybe because he has a bit more skill than your standard role player.

Reaction Score
Martin and Cole are quite frankly expected to be key offensive contributors.....it's been a very chaotic month so hard to judge but they need to get in gear quick or we're in trouble.

Reaction Score
Martin and Cole are quite frankly expected to be key offensive contributors.....it's been a very chaotic month so hard to judge but they need to get in gear quick or we're in trouble.
You think Martin is expected to be a key offensive contributor? Ok that may be true. Not too in tune to off season recruiting and expectations. To me he's a new guy on the team. A reserve with a broad skillet. Not someone I expect to be key offensive contributor. More of a welcome surprise for me.

I was hoping for more out of Gaffney. He was improving throughout last year. Benched Gilbert. I sorta expected more out of Gaff. So far he's the same player as last year. Except his shot is really rusty from lack of practice and gametime.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Martin often tries to rush the game. Trying to make a move before he has completed the previous one. I feel like we are seeing this in his bobbling of the ball. I hope he will calm down a bit because he has great energy and I think can make a solid contribution our team.

Reaction Score
Martin is our best on-ball defender by a mile.

Whaley is a more important defender because rim protection is more important, but Martin has really impressed me. He stops penetration without help and then often doesn't even give up a shot. And he doesn't foul when defending the ball. Which is just a miracle living in the Hurley era.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I love his gritty nature. He plays violently and we haven’t had enough of those types of players recently. He needs to develop a respectable shot, teams play off him.

Reaction Score
Tries going through like 3 guys at times. If he plays a little more cautious he’ll be great

Reaction Score
Both of you guys are totally wrong. Martin lost the ball more than once, did not pull down important rebounds and did not any get important shots made when needed.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand these evaluations or conclusions, 4 games in during a pandemic season (off/on practices, long layoffs, cancelled games, players missing, etc.), especially with our transfers.

Martin, Cole and Sanogo will be solid contributors later next month. New team, new coach and new system. Can we be tolerant of their games until they fully adjust to UConn ball?

Just saying with all of the new people including freshman I wish we would focus on potential and developmental needs as opposed to bashing or being overly critical of their play so far.

We are nowhere near our A game, and we played a top 10 team into OT. I saw many positives including Cole's shutdown defense, and Martin's hustle around the ball, without them we easily lose.

Guys we got a good team, I hope no one is looking for perfection right now or anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Martin was terrible. His choice of shots was ridiculously bad. The ball went through his hands on loose balls and rebounds.....should be sitting.

Reaction Score
Both of you guys are totally wrong. Martin lost the ball more than once, did not pull down important rebounds and did not any get important shots made when needed.
This is sorta why I consider him a role player. As others have said. He tries to do too much. If he can play within himself he'll be a very solid player. Don't turn it over. Don't try to win the game on his own. Fill the lane. Rebound. Play D. Maybe hit an open three on occasion. Role player stuff.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I thought Martin was terrible. His choice of shots was ridiculously bad. The ball went through his hands on loose balls and rebounds.....should be sitting.

Replace with who ? Hurley doesn't trust Jackson defense. Polly was out. Akok is out . Martin is there for the defense and rebounding. Besides Bouk nobody else was good.....today.

Reaction Score
But if you put Akok at the 4, you got something. Except what kind of player will he be when he returns?

Reaction Score
This is sorta why I consider him a role player. As others have said. He tries to do too much. If he can play within himself he'll be a very solid player. Don't turn it over. Don't try to win the game on his own. Fill the lane. Rebound. Play D. Maybe hit an open three on occasion. Role player stuff.

You said in your thread title he was GREAT. Jesus.

Reaction Score
Replace with who ? Hurley doesn't trust Jackson defense. Polly was out. Akok is out . Martin is there for the defense and rebounding. Besides Bouk nobody else was good.....today.
Andre Jackson

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He had 10 boards today but I feel like he could have at least 15. Maybe it looks worse than it is because he gets to so many out of area rebounds but he let a few slip through his hands today. Is he like Jeff Adrien? Is he 6’7” but with tiny hands?

Reaction Score
Martin is a monster. Worlds of potential there. Such a huge and athletic dude.

Reaction Score
You think Martin is expected to be a key offensive contributor? Ok that may be true. Not too in tune to off season recruiting and expectations. To me he's a new guy on the team. A reserve with a broad skillet. Not someone I expect to be key offensive contributor. More of a welcome surprise for me.

I was hoping for more out of Gaffney. He was improving throughout last year. Benched Gilbert. I sorta expected more out of Gaff. So far he's the same player as last year. Except his shot is really rusty from lack of practice and gametime.
And with the added muscle he is slower on D

Reaction Score

^^^

Reaction Score
Martin reminds a lot of Donny Marshall. He just seems to exude confidence. Just wish he was able to grab a few of the loose balls today, but the fact that he's getting his hands on them is typically a sign he's hustling.
Wish Cole would look to hit him on the diagonal on occasion.

Since others brought him up, I'd like to see Gaffney look for the jumper at the top of the key. From some of the high school tape I saw, it looked like it was something he had coming in. Seems like he's over penetrating at times.

Reaction Score
I thought Martin was terrible. Hi choice of shots was ridiculously bad. The ball went through his hands on loose balls and rebounds.....should be sitting.
Maybe they can replace him with Tyler polley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom