Marshall -7 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marshall -7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It does factor in strength of schedule, and I think that absolutely the best FCS teams in any year could compete in the MAC and the Sunbelt. But that having been said, as I have said many times, the Sagarins often don't "feel" as accurate to me as other measures. And this year, it "feels" that it has us too low (and does have us too low compared to other computer programs).
Do you think the best FCS teams could play a full season in MAC? Depth is always the issue. One game sure but a 12 game season of "Tougher" games?

Reaction Score
Do you think the best FCS teams could play a full season in MAC? Depth is always the issue. One game sure but a 12 game season of "Tougher" games?

Teams with more schollies obviously are more likely to hold up better during the course of a season, but yes, I believe the top ten BCS schools in any year would do fine in the MAC or Sunbelt. Not win it, but do fine.

Reaction Score
Teams with more schollies obviously are more likely to hold up better during the course of a season, but yes, I believe the top ten BCS schools in any year would do fine in the MAC or Sunbelt. Not win it, but do fine.

Really? I think the top 10 BCS teams each year would win SEC, B1G, Pac 12, and Big 12 championships.

Reaction Score
It does factor in strength of schedule, and I think that absolutely the best FCS teams in any year could compete in the MAC and the Sunbelt. But that having been said, as I have said many times, the Sagarins often don't "feel" as accurate to me as other measures. And this year, it "feels" that it has us too low (and does have us too low compared to other computer programs).
It seems like it Sagarin et al like scoring and scoring differential. Marshall outscored their opponents by an average of 22 points in their wins, with a high of 52 and a low of 7. We on the other hand average 10 point victories, with a high 27 and a low of 3.

But this is with a schedule rank of 138 for Marshall and 69 for us.

Look at the comparison between ECU and UConn, very similar SOS and schedule make up, UConn has the better overall record and the head-to head, but Sagarin has ECU 9 spots ahead of us. But ECU scored 329 points this year while we only scored 213

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The sagarins are not a good computer ranking. Maybe 15 years ago but the world passed Jeff by.

I agree that your top 2-3 FCS teams would do well in the Belt or CUSA.

I think people missed this year the MAC is better than the Mountain West.

Reaction Score
Santini35 said:
It seems like it Sagarin et al like scoring and scoring differential. Marshall outscored their opponents by an average of 22 points in their wins, with a high of 52 and a low of 7. We on the other hand average 10 point victories, with a high 27 and a low of 3. But this is with a schedule rank of 138 for Marshall and 69 for us. Look at the comparison between ECU and UConn, very similar SOS and schedule make up, UConn has the better overall record and the head-to head, but Sagarin has ECU 9 spots ahead of us. But ECU scored 329 points this year while we only scored 213
Time for a video highlight reel this year, sir? Watching your old ones seriously gets the blood flowing.

Reaction Score
Considering UConn's athletes haven't been to a bowl game(except the two transfers), Sheriffs looks like he'll be a go and they have more time to prepare than they had for that week leading up to the Houston game I expect the Huskies to play some inspired football putting a stamp on this turn around season. The message they send will be loud and clear, "We're Back!!"

UCONN 37 - Marshall 10

Reaction Score
Vegas bettors are usually shallow. Big names impress them: Marshall beat a "Big 10" team, so they must be good.

You don't think that you could make money on college football in Vegas? I know I could. Maybe you're just shallow like most of them.
Then why don't you quit your 9-5 job and go do it.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous post yet.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Then why don't you quit your 9-5 job and go do it.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous post yet.

Yeah, I'll just leave my family and go to Vegas. Brilliant.

I don't think I could make a living at it, but I know I could do better than break even. Don't you think you could do the same? If not, you're not very confident in your knowledge of college football.

Maybe you should straighten out problems in your own life before giving others unsolicited advice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I don't think I could make a living at it, but I know I could do better than break even. Don't you think you could do the same? If not, you're not very confident in your knowledge of college football.

Maybe you should straighten out problems in your own life before giving others unsolicited advice.

Yes all professional gamblers live in Las Vegas.

Being generous about 5% of people can end up ahead. Based on just your posts in this thread you have no chance. Literally none.

Jerry actually knows how hard it is - that is why he doesn't make ridiculous claims.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you have a .500 sports betting record on the points, you will lose money. The vig a sizable tax on your losses. Quick and dirty, one has to win at least 10% more bets than they lose to break even, dollar-wise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you have a .500 sports betting record on the points, you will lose money. The vig a sizable tax on your losses. Quick and dirty, one has to win at least 10% more bets than they lose to break even, dollar-wise.

52.3 gets you to breakeven. If you can hit 54% consistently you are in the top .1% and shouldn't be working a day job.

Reaction Score
The general ignorance that surrounds gambling is frightening. I honestly see it as regressive tax.

True story.....I worked with a guy once who was taking a bet against a team that had beaten the spread some number of consecutive weeks. His reasoning of course, was that they eventually would not cover. Like a fool I tried to explain about independent events. He just got very angry. One of my first lessons about how most folks do not view gambling in a rational manner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The general ignorance that surrounds gambling is frightening. I honestly see it as regressive tax.

True story.....I worked with a guy once who was taking a bet against a team that had beaten the spread some number of consecutive weeks. His reasoning of course, was that they eventually would not cover. Like a fool I tried to explain about independent events. He just got very angry. One of my first lessons about how most folks do not view gambling in a rational manner.

I'm facinated by the stuff people think isn't factored into lines. Yes person with no stake in the line - you've got insight the people laying four and five figures don't.

Reaction Score

Why would you need to leave your family and move to Vegas?

If you could do better than break even you could make a living out of it if you bet the appropriate amount of money.

I give you a 0% chance of breaking even and I could tell that solely based on your posts in this one thread.

Reaction Score
I honestly think gambling takes away rational thought from most people, and some of them very smart people.

Goodness knows I have my faults, but I always saw gambling for what it is, a way for professionals to take a spread on your action. Not to say it can't be fun, but it should be entertainment.

Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
Why would you need to leave your family and move to Vegas? If you could do better than break even you could make a living out of it if you bet the appropriate amount of money. I give you a 0% chance of breaking even and I could tell that solely based on your posts in this one thread.

Way to go Knish. Keep grinding out that rent money.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

If you could do better than break even you could make a living out of it if you bet the appropriate amount of money.

I give you a 0% chance of breaking even and I could tell that solely based on your posts in this one thread.

Your opinion, and it's worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek