Marriner to transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marriner to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Josh Marriner Hopes To Have Made A Difference At UConn
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-panel-discussion-0219-20160218-story.html

>>Marriner came to the school in 2013, and in three years he will have graduated. Marriner is on target to receive a degree in pre-communications science in May, a couple of weeks after his 21st birthday.

Marriner, from Chesapeake, Va., said he will return closer to home and intends play football, possibly with his brother, Brandon Addison, a cornerback at Old Dominion, an FCS school. For now, he is finishing his studies and will compete for the Huskies in the outdoor track season.<<

>>I thank the University of Connecticut for the opportunity to play here and get a very special degree, but I'm excited about going back home," Marriner said. "I'm excited to play football and get on with what I want to do in life and I want to continue to help uplift people. My brother and I are going to do something like Collective Uplift in Virginia because it's something we want to do together but my goal is to be successful in everything I do, lift up and empower people along the way."<<
Awesome story.. I'm sure he's doing his frat proud as well as solid representative of UCONN Athletics as a whole...

Reaction Score
Kevin Nathan reported last night that Josh Marriner is transferring. I'm not sure what happened with him. I thought he showed a higher upside than Newsome as a frosh.
Makes me nervous. Thin at experienced RB'S .What is plan B if Newsom gets hurt ?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I think McAllister is likely to get a shot to win a job at Safety on the two deep. One of the frosh or one of the walk ons is going to have to step up and be ready.
His dad was on the UConn FB Facebook page end of last year saying but Brice in at RB - who knows where he plays this year but agree about your assessment.

Reaction Score
Josh Marriner Hopes To Have Made A Difference At UConn

>>Marriner came to the school in 2013, and in three years he will have graduated. Marriner is on target to receive a degree in pre-communications science in May, a couple of weeks after his 21st birthday.

Marriner, from Chesapeake, Va., said he will return closer to home and intends play football, possibly with his brother, Brandon Addison, a cornerback at Old Dominion, an FCS school. For now, he is finishing his studies and will compete for the Huskies in the outdoor track season.<<

>>I thank the University of Connecticut for the opportunity to play here and get a very special degree, but I'm excited about going back home," Marriner said. "I'm excited to play football and get on with what I want to do in life and I want to continue to help uplift people. My brother and I are going to do something like Collective Uplift in Virginia because it's something we want to do together but my goal is to be successful in everything I do, lift up and empower people along the way."<<

Harry Minium@Harry_MiniumVP 1 hour ago
Former Western Branch star Josh Marriner transfers from UConn to ODU

>>Marriner graduated from UConn in May with a degree in communications and will pursue a Master in Business Administration at ODU. Because he has an undergraduate degree, he is eligible immediately and has two years of eligibility remaining. Marriner will be reunited at ODU with his brother, cornerback Brandon Addison, and assistant coach Kermit Buggs, who coached him at UConn.<<

>>"My time at UConn was great," Marriner said. "It helped me to grow as a young man being away from home. I learned things I wouldn't have otherwise learned. I've been to a bowl game and played at that level. It was definitely a great experience, and I think I 'll have a better one here at ODU."<<

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

>>Marriner graduated from UConn in May with a degree in communications and will pursue a Master in Business Administration at ODU. Because he has an undergraduate degree, he is eligible immediately and has two years of eligibility remaining. Marriner will be reunited at ODU with his brother, cornerback Brandon Addison, and assistant coach Kermit Buggs, who coached him at UConn.<<

>>"My time at UConn was great," Marriner said. "It helped me to grow as a young man being away from home. I learned things I wouldn't have otherwise learned. I've been to a bowl game and played at that level. It was definitely a great experience, and I think I 'll have a better one here at ODU."<<
I think it is great that Marriner got his degree from UConn, but the grad transfer rule doesn't apply. ODU is FCS. He'd be eligible to play immediately regardless.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Josh. He had numerous opportunities when he was here. Very solid player but just couldn't take that next step. Probably will kill it a level down.

Reaction Score
I think it is great that Marriner got his degree from UConn, but the grad transfer rule doesn't apply. ODU is FCS. He'd be eligible to play immediately regardless.

Ummm... ODU is in Conference USA (since 2014) and is FBS.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ummm... ODU is in Conference USA (since 2014) and is FBS.

A post up above quoted the article saying ODU was FCS. Then I click on the link and it is corrected. I have nothing major against Desmond Conner, but he still does get his article read for accuracy or clarity.

That said, I should have known better. Apologies for that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Marriner, who had a 3.9 grade-point average in high school, is the president of Collective Uplift, a student organization founded by five football players — Marriner, Vann, Geremy Davis, Foley Fatukasi and Angelo Pruitt — in 2014. It is designed to empower, educate and inspire students across ethnic groups at UConn to maximize their potential within and beyond the athletic context."

He's a bright, focused, positive kid. He'll do well wherever life takes him. I wish him the very best.

Good article, BTW, well worth a read.

Reaction Score

ODU's Blake LaRussa, Josh Marriner now both on full scholarship

Reaction Score
I always thought with the right coach Marriner could be a nice back.
Wilder is a very good coach and has built a really good program at ODU (he was my choice for DB to replace Diaco with) and has an offense that is fun to watch. Marriner has done well there, earning himself this full ride...and will continue to have success there.

Reaction Score
He graduated from UConn in 3 years and wanted to play w/ his brother close to home?
I thought that this was old news. Are things slowing up on filling the coaching roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom