Marquette ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Marquette ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Starting out 5 on 8? The back court violation, the ref on the scene called the tipped ball. Another ref, from farther away overruled him, and the first one just went along with it. WTF?
  2. Gaffney and Jackson played well mid-first half, while we bought time with Cole and Bouk getting a breather.
  3. More subs and player rotation than I've ever seen from Hurley in the first half.
  4. Sanogo -- grabbing the ball around the other guy's head is going to get you a foul pretty much every time.
  5. First half belonged to Jackson, Polley, Bouk, Cole, Gaffney and Martin. And Whaley.
  6. Official scorers had Whaley with one block in the first half. I counted three.
  7. Jackson blocked a shot and grabbed the ball out of the air. They only credited him with a steal.
  8. I know they don't keep a stat for causing a turnover, but Carlton should get some kind of credit for causing Marquette's opening turnover in the 2nd half.
  9. Did we forget how to make buckets in the paint during half time?
  10. Refs are taking us out of it in 2nd half. overall this may be the worst officiated men's division 1 basketball game I've ever seen. Almost as bad as the average women's game.
  11. Foul on Jackson just over 4 minutes left was a clean steal. Payback call 4 seconds later.
  12. Martin and Jackson tied for most boards at 8 each. That's 16 of our 35.
  13. 2 Husky turnovers in the 2nd half.
  14. Cole and Polley were each 3 of 6 from 3.
  15. Cole and Bouknight combined for 18 of 29 shooting. That's 62% for the game between them. When you consider that Bouk was 0 for 4 from 3, he shot 9 of 12 from 2. And 6 of 6 from the line.
  16. I believe that Jackson fellow is a pretty good basketball player, on his way to becoming a very, very good basketball player.

Reaction Score
On your first point, it absolutely was a backcourt violation. It was tipped but Whaley got to it in the front court after the deflection and carried it into the backcourt. It was the double drible on Bouk after the deflection that they blew.

Reaction Score
Among many things: I loved how easily and efficiently we broke MU's press late in the game -- leading to easy baskets (dunks). This team is seasoning before our eyes.

In nearly every phase of the game, UConn exerted its will and dominated. When we play with that level of energy, depth and defensive intensity we are absolutely a Top 10 level team.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Refs were absolutely terrible.. these big east refs ain’t that far off from those horrid AAC crews

If they were consistent, the players could adapt. They let bigs hook each other all day, let a bunch of hand checking go but called some barely there contact fouls. Went both ways too. A few of the fouls on Marquette were not fouls.

Reaction Score
If they were consistent, the players could adapt. They let bigs hook each other all day, let a bunch of hand checking go but called some barely there contact fouls. Went both ways too. A few of the fouls on Marquette were not fouls.
I said the exact same thing to myself.. it was both ways.. like you said I just want some consistency from them

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
On your first point, it absolutely was a backcourt violation. It was tipped but Whaley got to it in the front court after the deflection and carried it into the backcourt. It was the double dribble on Bouk after the deflection that they blew.
Whaley never established possession after it was tipped until he was in the back court.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Martin seems to be playing like a football player who needs to take a big hit before he fully gets in to the game. Seems like the past several games he makes one or two really bad plays early in the game which has me screaming for Hurley to bench his ass. Then, he calms down a bit and starts being productive.

Reaction Score
Martin seems to be playing like a football player who needs to take a big hit before he fully gets in to the game. Seems like the past several games he makes one or two really bad plays early in the game which has me screaming for Hurley to bench his ass. Then, he calms down a bit and starts being productive.
Yea it seemed like he was pressing a lil bit in the beginning of the game

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Yea it seemed like he was pressing a lil bit in the beginning of the game
The knock on Martin coming out of URI was that, at times, he plays totally out of control and that knock has held true. Often barreling towards the basket by himself throwing shots towards the hoop, but somehow they’ve been going in for us at a decent clip. He’s shooting damn near 50% and thats with that stretch of games where he couldn’t make bunnies. I’m just not sure it’s sustainable over a larger sample size. I think he’s gotten some lucky rolls and banks.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
The knock on Martin coming out of URI was that, at times, he plays totally out of control and that knock has held true. Often barreling towards the basket by himself throwing shots towards the hoop, but somehow they’ve been going in for us at a decent clip. He’s shooting damn near 50% and thats with that stretch of games where he couldn’t make bunnies. I’m just not sure it’s sustainable over a larger sample size. I think he’s gotten some lucky rolls and banks.
Martin posting and backing down the smaller defender (like Gillespie) was nice to see. It only happened once, but it looked like that was lifted from the Villanova game. I think if the matchup allows we should be getting 2 or 3 buckets a game like that.

Martin has some finishing issues (definitely double digits in blown bunnies), but he is just an awesome glue guy. I think he's had a lot to do with us seemingly ramping up the toughness....and what feels like turning the corner.

Credit to Jackson as well. He's going to be game to game as his aggressive nature on defense invites the whistle...only half of which seem to have merit. But if he's not in foul trouble he's just a different animal out there, really fun to watch.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The officiating is NOT both ways when the free throws are 21-9, the fouls are 23-15 and the most bizarre missed calls or horrible calls all seemingly go the wrong way. There's absolutely a pattern here, going back to last year when we were victims of the worst officiating I've ever seen.

I don't think it's some conspiracy, I don't believe in that stuff. Maybe it's something about reputation, maybe it's because Calhoun was always on the right side of the calls, or maybe it's about leaving one conference then becoming the new kids in another. I don't know, I just don't like it. But it gets better in the dance

Reaction Score
We are aggressive on defense and will pick up more fouls as a result. I’m ok with that. But I’m not seeing aggression by our opponents being grated the same way, especially in Cole and Bouknight. Outside of that, we been victimized by some really brain dead calls this year, and yesterday was the worst game yet on that front.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom