Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Lots of learning can (and will) come from everything we witnessed during the final 7 minutes, after Cam's restraint in NOT throwing his fist after 'sealing the win' on that 2x-speed 3-ball resulted in the T that UConn MBB nonetheless added as video to complement the leading by-the-numbers Instagram that touted his unprecedented 3-1 A-to-TO ratio on top of the current 50-40-90 in progress.

Bonus: there will be a workshop opportunity to apply the lessons on Saturday night, in a hostile environment, against another 'desperate' team.

But first, a note of admiration for Marquette's use of hands and arms and bodies to draw 13 fouls on Castle, Diarra, Karaban, Newton, and Spencer, while limiting that same quintet to 4-4 from the line. Until those tense closing minutes, nobody on Marquette had more than 2 fouls called on them. Very impressive.

If not mentioned already,
KenPom Defense now at 14
What is the defense since the return of a healthy Donovan? I still feel these KenPom numbers feel skewed

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
But still cannot dial his shots in
That will come. I said it a few weeks ago there is going to be a game this year he hits a big three when we need it. Almost happened last night, but that block was almost as big. Great rotation and being in the right place. Was last night the first time we played DC, AK and JStew all at the same time. I kind of liked it as JStew has a very good handle. I imagine it is going to take a few of our guards to be in foul trouble and the down side it has/will take minutes away from Ball. Hope he is keeping his head up because I think he can be a star for us in the next two years.

Reaction Score
The fact that Stewart keeps shooting those shots should tell you it's what Hurley wants him doing when he's in the game. None of those shots are forced, he's open and needs to take them.

He's on the court as a scoring option off the bench, that's what we all expected when he got here. Though his defense is much better than I expected

Shooters take wide open 3s. And those reps are earned in practice. If you start policing those shots as a coach, you're just going to kill his confidence.

Reaction Score
Great win! Killed another meaningless stat I was sick of hearing about.
They should stop the slowdown offense with so much time on the clock. Their regular offense is very deliberate already and leads to good looks at the basket. Just run your stuff.
Cam's T took the wind out of their sails. Love the attitude and fire but they could do without those.
Marquette's really good. I hope they get Kolek back healthy for the NCAA tourney at least.
I am sick of seeing Big East teams. I'm sure the team is too. I'd like to see 5 more of them, collect some hardware, and move on to some new blood.

Reaction Score
Shooters take wide open 3s. And those reps are earned in practice. If you start policing those shots as a coach, you're just going to kill his confidence.
He's gotta learn to police himself. Even Spenczar passes up open shots early in the shot clock and helps run the offense. Confidence is great - so is maturity

Reaction Score
I heard that theory. There's a difference between Hurley giving him a little rope and wanting him to jack up early threes.
His 2 shots came with 17 seconds and 15 seconds on the shot clock, and both were wide open 3's. There were no early forced shots. He needs to be taking those shots every single time, because it's the shot our offense is designed to get

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'll donate $500 to the UConn Foundation right now if mods agree to ban the term "rock fight" forever
Why? That term was immortalized by JC describing his actual neighborhood brawls growing up as analogy to near brawls of some Big East games.

Reaction Score
Easy there tiger. We made this game a lot more interesting than it had to be. For my life, I do not understand why we stopped playing with five minutes to go. We’re controlling tempo, shooting over 50% from the field, and then we stopped playing. And this is not the first time that that happened this year. This team does not know how to close out games. We have to hope that we beat everybody by more than 10 points. And of course that’s very doable. .

They won by less than 10 points last night, tiger.

Reaction Score
Easy there tiger. We made this game a lot more interesting than it had to be. For my life, I do not understand why we stopped playing with five minutes to go. We’re controlling tempo, shooting over 50% from the field, and then we stopped playing. And this is not the first time that that happened this year. This team does not know how to close out games. We have to hope that we beat everybody by more than 10 points. And of course that’s very doable. .
Good news, we're 9-1 in games decided by 10 points or less this year. Pretty safe to say they know how to close out games

Reaction Score
I hope Marquette beats Xavier on Sat, so they stay on the other side of the BE Tourney Bracket. I'd hate to see them in the semis

Reaction Score
His 2 shots came with 17 seconds and 15 seconds on the shot clock, and both were wide open 3's. There were no early forced shots. He needs to be taking those shots every single time, because it's the shot our offense is designed to get
Also you’d rather him be taking those when we had momentum and a relatively comfortable lead in the first half/early second rather than late in the second half in a closely contested game. It only behooves him/us for him to take a risk shooting an in the flow of offense three even if his percentages are low bc if he makes it like, we’ve heard he can, his confidence is only going to increase. That’ll help him ease and unlock the rest of his game, like his driving/mid range, that we’ve been yearning for.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
One thing that was different that we did in this game was this lineup:

Castle
Cam
Stewart
Karaban
Clingan

Made my personal views very happy to see Castle out there running the show by himself. Wonder if Hurley tries to let him do that more down the stretch to show NBA scouts he’s capable of being their PG now that we have the Big East locked up.

In general would love to see more of Castle initiating the offense and Newton playing that 2G scorer spot (since I think that’s where scouts projected him during him testing the waters last year too). Newton is kind of an Austin Reaves type of prospect.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'll donate $500 to the UConn Foundation right now if mods agree to ban the term "rock fight" forever
Sorry, I think I started it in this thread. It is descriptive, though.

Reaction Score
Haven’t done one in a while. What they other guys are sayin bout us:

Take the Togo guy to school Oso.

Figures Caraban is hitting.

Seeking matchups and ISO isn't going to work against UConn

Man UConn just has so many good players

Karaban gets wide open looks at will

I assume Karajan has the highest 3pt % in the country this year

Bigger. Faster.

UConn is so locked in.

UConn >>> Marquette with or without Kolek. Have to hope someone upsets them in the tourney.

UConn> any other team in the country

Thats not a strategy when the opposing team naturally has the mismatch at all 5 positions

The other team has better players .

UConn is stacked. Sometimes the other team is just too good. Great benchmark for what we need

I know we have no love lost for Huey and UConn, but have to admit that despite having overwhelming talent, they also play incredibly hard.

Like Kalkbrenner on Saturday, Donovan Clingan has to be one of the TALLEST players in D1 hoops. Impressive.

So will Karaban be 1st or 2nd team All American?

UCONN is the "9th Best Public University?

I’m sorry, I think my ha…dislike of Spencer is leading directly to his shooting percentage

Need to nut punch Spencer

God I loathe Spencer.

Spencer is cold blooded tonight. Killing us.

If UConn makes shots like this in the postseason it'll be a repeat of 2023.

do we ever have a wide open shooter? When does UConn not?

There is no one on our team that could start on U Conn

Spencer may not be fan favorite but he is a player. 17 points, 5 for5 three, 6 bounds, 6 assists. That’s so far with 8 minutes left.

What a portal pickup for UConn.

Clingan > Oso, Karaban > Joplin, Spencer >Kam, Castle> Stevie, Newton>Tyko

I love our guys, but we just don't have the talent to compete at the level the other team is at.

It’s one thing to be out-talented, but they’ve out-hustled us all nite. Very disappointing.

Reaction Score
Haven’t done one in a while. What they other guys are sayin bout us:

Take the Togo guy to school Oso.

Figures Caraban is hitting.

Seeking matchups and ISO isn't going to work against UConn

Man UConn just has so many good players

Karaban gets wide open looks at will

I assume Karajan has the highest 3pt % in the country this year

Bigger. Faster.

UConn is so locked in.

UConn >>> Marquette with or without Kolek. Have to hope someone upsets them in the tourney.

UConn> any other team in the country

Thats not a strategy when the opposing team naturally has the mismatch at all 5 positions

The other team has better players .

UConn is stacked. Sometimes the other team is just too good. Great benchmark for what we need

I know we have no love lost for Huey and UConn, but have to admit that despite having overwhelming talent, they also play incredibly hard.

Like Kalkbrenner on Saturday, Donovan Clingan has to be one of the TALLEST players in D1 hoops. Impressive.

So will Karaban be 1st or 2nd team All American?

UCONN is the "9th Best Public University?

I’m sorry, I think my ha…dislike of Spencer is leading directly to his shooting percentage

God I loathe Spencer.

Spencer is cold blooded tonight. Killing us.

If UConn makes shots like this in the postseason it'll be a repeat of 2023.

do we ever have a wide open shooter? When does UConn not?

There is no one on our team that could start on U Conn

Spencer may not be fan favorite but he is a player. 17 points, 5 for5 three, 6 bounds, 6 assists. That’s so far with 8 minutes left.

What a portal pickup for UConn.

Clingan > Oso, Karaban > Joplin, Spencer >Kam, Castle> Stevie, Newton>Tyko

I love our guys, but we just don't have the talent to compete at the level the other team is at.

It’s one thing to be out-talented, but they’ve out-hustled us all nite. Very disappointing.
I especially love these.

God I loathe Spencer.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The fact that Stewart keeps shooting those shots should tell you it's what Hurley wants him doing when he's in the game. None of those shots are forced, he's open and needs to take them.

He's on the court as a scoring option off the bench, that's what we all expected when he got here. Though his defense is much better than I expected

He's going to hit a big 3 in the NCAAs, there's no doubt. Teams are leaving him wide open and he's too talented to keep missing.

Reaction Score
With 9:02 on the clock we had scored 64 points. We finished the game with 74. Why????????????????? I have my own opinion which I will keep to myself.

Reaction Score
With 9:02 on the clock we had scored 64 points. We finished the game with 74. Why????????????????? I have my own opinion which I will keep to myself.

Who won the game again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom