Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He didn’t play polley and gaffney as much. Didn’t you watch the game? Unfortunately the two of them are playing poorly. We would be a much better team if they stepped up their games. How would you coach them to do that? Sounds like you would just kick them off the team?

Reaction Score
This is the 2nd or 3rd time this year we’ve gone up double digits and Hurley sits Cole and Martin and the lead immediately evaporates. That cannot happen again. We do not have the offensive firepower to sit our 2 best scorers at the same time and frankly I’m not sure what Hurley thinks when he does it??

Reaction Score
“Better teams” as we get a Quad 1 win.
Im stoked we won tonight, but teams are abusing our hard hedging. Go back to the Prov game and look at why they got layup after layup in the first half. Marquette got wide open shots in the second half and missed.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
This is a weird take… better teams would thrash us the way we’ve been playing. We won on the road it’s important but we need to play a lot better
Calling Marquette a “bad” team is wild. They’ve beaten Illinois, Ole Miss, and West Virginia this year and played UCLA to the wire. They’re not the elite of the conference but calling them “bad” is the weird take.

Reaction Score
The reffing in this game was bizarre and something we’ve seen a couple this year. The first 10-12 minutes they basically just let them play through almost any contact. Then at some point it just switched and all of a sudden the most ticky tacky fouls are getting called. It seemed pretty consistently inconsistent between both teams but just odd to see it change that drastically.
Some of it is because the teams started fouling more. Guys are fresher in beginning and tire as game goes on. Marquette also ramped up the defensive physicality and started pounding the ball inside on offense in post-ups. Both things lead to more fouls.

But yeah, the refs fell for a couple flops, got a couple obvious calls wrong, but we also benefitted from a couple ticky-tacks on drivers, too. Overall we got a bad whistle, but about par for being on road and not abysmal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interesting to see that Hurley had a much quicker hook on Gaffney and was much quicker to get Cole back in the game after a rest
I also felt like gaffe was trying to be more decisive with the ball on the offense.

Reaction Score
Calling Marquette a “bad” team is wild. They’ve beaten Illinois, Ole Miss, and West Virginia this year and played UCLA to the wire. They’re not the elite of the conference but calling them “bad” is the weird take.
They’re not “bad,” they were short-handed tonight however. The game would have been much closer if Morsell played though. Martin wouldn’t have gotten whatever he wanted if he played.

Reaction Score
The reffing in this game was bizarre and something we’ve seen a couple this year. The first 10-12 minutes they basically just let them play through almost any contact. Then at some point it just switched and all of a sudden the most ticky tacky fouls are getting called. It seemed pretty consistently inconsistent between both teams but just odd to see it change that drastically.
And as most games, bad calls keep coming from the ref away from the play. Drives me nuts.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
This is the 2nd or 3rd time this year we’ve gone up double digits and Hurley sits Cole and Martin and the lead immediately evaporates. That cannot happen again. We do not have the offensive firepower to sit our 2 best scorers at the same time and frankly I’m not sure what Hurley thinks when he does it??
They can’t play every minute of the game. They need a minute or two to rest, especially when we’re consistently pushing in transition.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He said better teams… they aren’t bad but there are much better teams

Reaction Score
We can absolutely sit Gaff. In fact, we need to. We found our ball handles off a press- it’s Martin and Cole. They are just fine passing it off to a big on the other side of the court.

Nothing good happens when Gaff is in. Give Gaffs little minutes to Diggins.
And Jackson. He did his share of bringing the ball up and he can distribute.

Reaction Score
Absurd. Polley and Gaffney will continue to play significant minutes. And nailing them to the pine would be coaching malfeasance.
I’d actually like to see their minutes continue to be used at a minimum- especially Gaffney’s. We have 3 guys now plus Sanogo that can score (I’m counting AJax first half- no idea where he went in the second half, but he needs to find it). Hurley talks a big game about being deep but we don’t need to be- we’re forcing being deep just to play a few guys that don’t bring anything to the table. If Polley can get hot in the first half with a few threes, play him more, if not- we roll like we did tonight with hopefully Sanogo giving us more offensively. Seeing Gaffney play in big boy games and then clammoring that he needs to continue to see the floor is silly.

Reaction Score
This is a weird take… better teams would thrash us the way we’ve been playing. We won on the road it’s important but we need to play a lot better
I get what you’re saying but no team is going to thrash us. Sanogo played 13 minutes. Whaley had a tough defensive game which doesn’t happen often. Shaka Smart is a good coach and spread us out and really pick and rolled us to death. Our problem is missing threes.

Reaction Score
They’re not “bad,” they were short-handed tonight however. The game would have been much closer if Morsell played though. Martin wouldn’t have gotten whatever he wanted if he played.
Silly! Don’t you know that losing games while missing key players is only an excuse for US???

Reaction Score
Thank God. Hurley didn’t put the young immature Hawk in for a lot of minutes to fall apart. Hawk needs to play but if we have a safe lead. Hawk will develop but he needs to get over the lack of confidence first.
He looked very frustrated when he went to the bench because he knew that was it. That sucks.

Reaction Score
I mean they are ok, but didn’t have arguably their best player tonight. They also beat Illinois without Cockburn and not sure where you saw that they played UCLA “to the wire”. That was never a game.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Gaff hard. He's actually one of my favorite players. I'm not sure why, but he is.

Sadly, this was one of his better games against non-cupcakes. Hopefully he makes some strides in the coming games.

He's a spring semester guy. I'm confident

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom