Marquette Hiring Shaka Smart | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Hiring Shaka Smart

Reaction Score
One thing that is overlooked about Smart’s time at VCU is his assistant coaches. The five main assistants during his time at VCU are now all head coaches. His first coaching staff at VCU included Will Wade (LSU HC), Mike Rhoads (VCU HC), and Mike Jones (Radford HC). When Jones left, Jamian Christian (George Washington HC) was hired. When Christian left, Jeremy Ballard (FIU HC) was hired.
Great point, not even might the 'yard have overlooked that, but maybe Smart & Texas did as well. I don't know if he was able to bring his staff, or forced to keep certain guys or had to re-assemble with restrictions. Certainly a lot of coaching examples of guys that succeeded with original, good assistants and weren't able to have same success later. NBA Doc Rivers & Thibs comes to mind.

Reaction Score
Isn't Shaka loses in the tournament at Texas is by a combined 8 points.
Dunno - are you saying that's a sign of luck or a sign of poor coaching?

Calipari would come to mind as an at best mediocre in-game coach, not great at strategy preparing for & adjusting to a specific opponent and a terrible end-game coach. But Calipari is either the best recruiter ever or the best snake-oil salesman this side of Rick Pitino (both good at selling all things snake and in-game coaching).
In terms of game coaching, Calhoun the opposite of Cal and we all certainly take pride on UConn's record in the tournament, especially in the final four.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think we understate the amount of interest in basketball in Texas. Right now Baylor and Houston are in the elite 8. I think there are 7 Texas programs in the P5 plus AAC. 3 NBA teams. Add in Oklahoma and there is a lot of basketball to be watched in that area. Texas should be top 2 in that conference every year with the $$$$$ resources it has.

I think where there's money there's interest, and Texas has plenty of money.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Went to the same HS as Shaka in the suburbs of Madison (he graduated 4 years before me so we never overlapped unfortunately). Definitely our most famous alumnus so good to see him back in WI. Thought he might get a call from Wisconsin since Gard should be on the hot seat there too.

Reaction Score
Nobody is a good fit at Texas!
Eh, Penders was there for 10yrs and Barnes for 17! before Shaka. But it has been all downhill since their 1933 national championship warded retroactively by premo-perrota in 1985).
Rick Barnes said it was definitely the school's fault when he had Kevin Durant and got beat by 19 in a 2nd round NC2A game.

Reaction Score

Marquette has now brought in 3 of the 4 prospects Smart originally recruited to Texas.

5 man class with all prospects between #86-#162. Great set up for some longevity in Milwaukee.

Thx for sharing. Gr8 for their longevity for sure.

Really used to enjoy those gritty teams with Jerel McNeal and co and really loved Lazar Hayward's game. They were always tough/fought hard. F Steve Novak tho!

Reaction Score
Thx for sharing. Gr8 for their longevity for sure.

Really used to enjoy those gritty teams with Jerel McNeal and co and really loved Lazar Hayward's game. They were always tough/fought hard. F Steve Novak tho!
Jimmy Butler is that program

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If they have so much money, why does their football suck?

I'm not intimately involved with the operation of the Texas Football program, so I can't answer that questions. It doesn't mean they're not loaded.

Reaction Score
Wait is there actually a question about how much money Texas has? That’s laughable

Reaction Score
I'm not intimately involved with the operation of the Texas Football program, so I can't answer that questions. It doesn't mean they're not loaded.
I know they're loaded. Just curious why so many 5* recruits from Texas end up at Alabama. Don't get me wrong, I don't care 1 bit about Texas, just honestly don't know why they put up with so much bad football.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
University of Texas has $1 billion in gold on deposit in New York (HSBC) and will deposit it in a newly built depository in Texas.

"The The University of Texas/Texas A&M Investment Management Company, which oversees the assets of the University of Texas and Texas A&M systems, holds $1 billion worth of gold bullion at the HSBC Bank in New York City, according to Karen Adler, a spokeswoman for the organization. When Abbott signed the gold depository bill into law in June 2015, he declared that the opening of a state-run facility would allow Texas to “repatriate” the nonprofit's gold supply."

MJ1

Reaction Score
Title: Marquette hiring Shaka Smart, who in the Big East cares about Texas. It’s a football school.

Reaction Score
Dunno - are you saying that's a sign of luck or a sign of poor coaching?

Calipari would come to mind as an at best mediocre in-game coach, not great at strategy preparing for & adjusting to a specific opponent and a terrible end-game coach. But Calipari is either the best recruiter ever or the best snake-oil salesman this side of Rick Pitino (both good at selling all things snake and in-game coaching).
In terms of game coaching, Calhoun the opposite of Cal and we all certainly take pride on UConn's record in the tournament, especially in the final four.
The difference is Rick is a darn good BB coach
Calipari is a stiff.
Or as JC said about them
“They’re both BSers ,however the difference is Rick understands it’s BS,
while Calipari actually has convinced himself that his lies are true “

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Title: Marquette hiring Shaka Smart, who in the Big East cares about Texas. It’s a football school.
Won’t be when Beard is getting his feet wet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom