Marketing Face of UConn WBB: Molly Bent | The Boneyard

Marketing Face of UConn WBB: Molly Bent

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed that the player featured in recent ticket ads for women's basketball from the UConn athletic department has been Molly Bent? Doesn't it seem slightly weird that a bench player who does not play at all against top opponents, and normally plays 10-20 minutes in AAC games, gets this much featured publicity?

I assume it's happening because someone in the AD's office has noticed the loud cheers that occur when she enters the game, and particularly when she makes a shot.

It's good for Molly, but it's a bit concerning that the school apparently thinks it is more palatable to advertise her than the core players on the team.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I think she's a wonderful face for the program -- for a brief period of time at least. She's likeable, enthusiastic, works hard and is beloved by the fans and the team. I wouldn't want her to be the permanent featured player, but it's a nice change of pace.

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed that the player featured in recent ticket ads for women's basketball from the UConn athletic department has been Molly Bent? Doesn't it seem slightly weird that a bench player who does not play at all against top opponents, and normally plays 10-20 minutes in AAC games, gets this much featured publicity?

I assume it's happening because someone in the AD's office has noticed the loud cheers that occur when she enters the game, and particularly when she makes a shot.

It's good for Molly, but it's a bit concerning that the school apparently thinks it is more palatable to advertise her than the core players on the team.
She’s followed in the footsteps of Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor as a fan favorites. I think Courtney Ekmark also has that distinction if I remember correctly. Basically it’s just someone that tries their best, goes all out, loves the team, but can’t seem to get many meaningful minutes. I’m assuming they took note of how loud the gym gets when she makes a shot and figured why not put her out their to get that crowd back in the seats.

Reaction Score

That's what makes UConn, UConn. At UConn they are a TEAM, every single member is equally responsible for their successes and failures. Bent is every bit a part of this team as anyone else and deserves to be recognized as such. At UConn no one player is bigger than the team! Selflessness and a belief in the team above all else all are foundations for UConn basketball, and celebrating an unsung player like Bent is just more proof of that.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The marketing optics of spotlighting a white permanent bench player over a potential AA black player or black starter seem awkward to say the least.
The entire premise of the op is wrong. Over the last few years at least players are featured in sort of a rotating basis in ads and promotions. It is not unusual or awkward or new. It is part of the overall advertising and promotional plan the school uses. Frankly, it's a good reflection of the UConn team first philosophy.

Last edited:

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
If different members are rotated over the season, should be no problem.

Reaction Score
Since you don’t live local you would have no idea but also shouldn’t have made that comment since you are un informed

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If different members are rotated over the season, should be no problem.
We all make mistakes, so I’m going to give you a pass on your prior comment. While it’s sometimes easy to break things down to a simple “black & white” issue, often times it’s not. In this case it’s clearly not. UConn does a great job of celebrating all of their players, from their superstars to the last reserve off the bench. If you have any doubt, just watch the final UConn shot in the 2016 National Championship game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The marketing optics of spotlighting a white permanent bench player over a potential AA black player or black starter seem awkward to say the least.
Wb, while I understand the premise of your comment I think it sort of trivializes Molly's contribution to the team. For four years she has proven herself to be unselfish, devoting time and effort to a team on which she has seen very little playing time. Anybody who follows our huskies knows that at this point Crystal is the face of the team and certainly she and Megan and Ono receive the majority of the publicity daily in the papers and on tv. I personally think it's nice that every once in awhile the foot soldier gets some recognition. Go Huskies.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
The entire premise of the op is wrong. Over the last few years at least players are featured in sort of a rotating basis in ads and promotions. It is not unusual or awkward or new. It is part of the overall advertising and promotional plan the school uses. Frankly, it's a good reflection of the UConn team first philosophy.

A simple truth dispels a hurtful speculation. Gotta love it. Thank you, Mega Monster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom