Mark Sears | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mark Sears

Reaction Score
Alabama (86) vs Purdue (92) 12/9/2023

Sears 35 PTS, 8-16 3PT, 1 AST, 4 TO
Edey 35 PTS, 11-11 FT, 7 REB, 0 BLK

SmartSelect_20240404_202351_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Sears averaged pretty much the same ppg as Knecht in the SEC. Yeah, they play more uptempo but still impressive. Castle should handle his business. Not worried about drives to basket. The bomb 3's are more of a concern. Real good shooter. Seen them both on multipe occassions and I find Sears to be the more dangerous player than Bouie from Northwestern.

Reaction Score
Wil be a much more difficult assignment than we are used to as he shoots out to 35 feet

Im more concerned about all this flight bs effect on the team than i am a 5`11 guard on a team that lost every single quad 1 game they played all season until the tournament where they beat the weakest of the #1 seeds, a 13,12 and a 6. Like i told some Illini fans there are levels to this and theyre about to see what a real top seed looks like not some hype job wannabe like Iowa St.

Reaction Score

View attachment 98917
I guess it's comforting that they played an elite team, made 19 3s (about in the ballpark of what they'd need against us) and still lost. Though we don't have an Edey who can put up 35 on 20 shots and 11-11 at the line.

Reaction Score
Shannon was the unstoppable, best player on the floor. Sears is the super unstoppable, extra best player on the floor Saturday…I’ll be at least as devastating as Shannon

caw

Reaction Score
Sears averaged pretty much the same ppg as Knecht in the SEC. Yeah, they play more uptempo but still impressive. Castle should handle his business. Not worried about drives to basket. The bomb 3's are more of a concern. Real good shooter. Seen them both on multipe occassions and I find Sears to be the more dangerous player than Bouie from Northwestern.

Sears is better inside the arc and around the rim, pretty dead even as 3PT shooters though. Neither has Kemba speed, or quickness though I think Sears has a bit more shake to his game.

I'd argue though that Bouie led a worse team to better regular season wins. Bama basically beat three NCAA teams all year in Mississippi State, Auburn and Florida before the tournament started.

Sidenote:
I am also confused why everyone is saying their defense has improved. Right now their defense is at 102.2 ADJDE on Torvik for the year. In their four NCAA games they have been at 106, 83.6, 108.5, 105.5. That is one very good defensive performance and three bad ones. On the flip side their offense has been on a tear for four games (125.7 ADJOE for the year) for 131.6, 107.2, 137.2, 133.3.

UConn has only been that good offensively once in the NCAAT against SDSU, though UConn's defense has been absurd from Torvik numbers in the tournament.

pj

Reaction Score
Wil be a much more difficult assignment than we are used to as he shoots out to 35 feet

Remind me, is a shot from 35 foot a good shot or a bad shot? I forget.

Reaction Score
Sears is better inside the arc and around the rim, pretty dead even as 3PT shooters though. Neither has Kemba speed, or quickness though I think Sears has a bit more shake to his game.

I'd argue though that Bouie led a worse team to better regular season wins. Bama basically beat three NCAA teams all year in Mississippi State, Auburn and Florida before the tournament started.

Sidenote:
I am also confused why everyone is saying their defense has improved. Right now their defense is at 102.2 ADJDE on Torvik for the year. In their four NCAA games they have been at 106, 83.6, 108.5, 105.5. That is one very good defensive performance and three bad ones. On the flip side their offense has been on a tear for four games (125.7 ADJOE for the year) for 131.6, 107.2, 137.2, 133.3.

UConn has only been that good offensively once in the NCAAT against SDSU, though UConn's defense has been absurd from Torvik numbers in the tournament.
That's why I said dangerous instead of outright better. Sears can go on heaters and it's just bombs away from parking lot deep. Sears is also a guy that plays with major confidence and less likely to be mentally flustered by a great defender like Castle. That's not to say it won't happen. Not worried either way.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Never met a Purdue fan, eh?
Tip off classic 1992 - UConn-Purdue, Marshall vs Robinson. Brought my nephew to the game, Purdue fans were brutal, even to him.

Reaction Score

View attachment 98917
Watched that game. Smith is a pretty good defender but short. The rest of their perimeter guys are okay at best. The biggest issue with defending Sears that game was PnR coverage. Edey plays that really deep drop coverage because he’s too slow to play like Clingan does. Sears got a lot of open looks from 3 that way because there really wasn’t anyone to contest if Smith got caught on a screen. Castle/Diarra and Clingan’s more aggressive drop coverage will present a much bigger challenge for him.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Even though Sears is a better version of Jalen Brunson mixed with Shabazz and Kemba, I think Danny and crew will focus on the pick and roll coverage and limit his in rhythm pull up 3s.

Otherwise, contest and recover hard on the kick out 3s and rebound, and we’re good.

Reaction Score
Even though Sears is a better version of Jalen Brunson mixed with Shabazz and Kemba, I think Danny and crew will focus on the pick and roll coverage and limit his in rhythm pull up 3s.

Otherwise, contest and recover hard on the kick out 3s and rebound, and we’re good.
Tennessee is probably the closest game plan for us defensively. The physicality of their guards on defense clearly made Alabama less comfortable. Couple areas that made those games reasonably close were a) TN didn’t have the rim protection to really shut down the paint, b) Ziegler was just too small to really do anything when he got by his man, and c) they just couldn’t create outside of Knecht. Rewatching the TN game made me pretty confident.

Edit: after watching that and the Purdue game, my other takeaway is Grant Nelson is a horrible, horrible post defender. I know the prevailing thought is Oats will have him play the five and go five out but I don’t think there’s a chance they can make that work defensively. He will get absolutely manhandled by Clingan and foul out by halftime.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another game, another guy I never heard of that's going to beat us.

Reaction Score
Actually I've been deep, deep in purdue country for a long time. 3/4 of my wife's extended family (12 people, uncles cousins, spouses) went to purdue and they all live in Indiana, and we are there 10 times a year. They fly purdue flags outside their homes.i would wear uconn gear and there wasn't a peep. They didn't have a thing to say about us till last year and mainly because we were both battling for the top spot and even then it was congenial. They dislike us as much as anybody dislikes the repeating champs right now.
I like you Jay but can’t stand your family. No offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom