Mark Mitchell - Kelsey's Father | The Boneyard

Mark Mitchell - Kelsey's Father

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mark has been an assistant coach for four years, soon after Kelsey signed with Ohio State. I'm wondering how long he keeps his job now that Kelsey graduates this year. Don't know how good of a coach he is, but his daughter is a great player. Not sure she makes her teammates better. Mark was big in AAU Circles and I would have thought his contacts would have led Ohio St to getting Top 10 classes annually Will Ohio St more or less keep him on staff for a year or two longer after Kelsey Graduates?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprise if he's released a month or two after she graduates. His release may be couched in the phrase "mutual agreement" or some sort. Also wouldn't be surprised if the same phrase is used for McGuff after the summer.

Reaction Score
Yeah he will be gone after Chelsea leaves next year...unless she leaves when Kelsey graduates this year.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Mark Mitchell was not just big in AAU circles, he was the Boys Varsity Head Coach at Taft High School in Cincinnati for 11 years prior to going to tOSU, where he compiled a 221-50 record. He completely overhauled a program that had been moribund for 15 seasons before he took over and had 10 consecutive losing seasons. His teams won 8 Cincy Metro titles, 9 Sectional titles, 4 District titles and a State Championship in 2011. He was Cincinnati HS Coach of the Year 8 times. Did Kevin McGuff hire him as a quid pro quo for Kelsey's signing, probably, but he does have legitimate coaching credentials. Mitchell is responsible for coaching tOSU's guards and and for two consecutive seasons Ameryst Alston and his daughter Kelsey formed the highest scoring backcourt in the nation. This isn't a defense of Mark Mitchell, just a recitation of facts. While the circumstances surrounding his hiring at tOSU are dubious, his qualifications for the job shouldn't be questioned.

Reaction Score
Mark Mitchell was not just big in AAU circles, he was the Boys Varsity Head Coach at Taft High School in Cincinnati for 11 years prior to going to tOSU, where he compiled a 221-50 record. He completely overhauled a program that had been moribund for 15 seasons before he took over and had 10 consecutive losing seasons. His teams won 8 Cincy Metro titles, 9 Sectional titles, 4 District titles and a State Championship in 2011. He was Cincinnati HS Coach of the Year 8 times. Did Kevin McGuff hire him as a quid pro quo for Kelsey's signing, probably, but he does have legitimate coaching credentials. Mitchell is responsible for coaching tOSU's guards and and for two consecutive seasons Ameryst Alston and his daughter Kelsey formed the highest scoring backcourt in the nation. This isn't a defense of Mark Mitchell, just a recitation of facts. While the circumstances surrounding his hiring at tOSU are dubious, his qualifications for the job shouldn't be questioned.

Hey........give him the head coaching job............

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While many of us here scoff at both McGuffs hiring of Mitchell as an assistant and on his under achieving with a team expected to contend for a Final Four spot in Columbus, he did win the Big10title outright and has made tOSU relevant in WCBB for the time being. He is not going to be fired anytime soon. His situation is analogous to Holly Warlick almost to a “T”. Both are ranked, have pretty good records and in Warlick’s Case, another high rated class, and in McGuff’s case a strong finish, a top player produced and a Big 10 title. Both are safe for at least another year.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
McGuff didn't invent the hiring of a parent as an assistant coach. Sounds like Mitchell had more coaching bona fides than some other parents that have coattailed their talented offspring.

I can understand why McGuff gets criticized. I'm always going to give him some credit for quickly turning around UW. They were really bad when he took over coming off of Tia Jackson's disastrous tenure. In a short time he had them winning 20 games and going to the WNIT and brought some talented players in. Neighbors continued to build on the foundation McGuff established and made 3 straight Tourney appearances, including the school's first Final 4.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
McGuff didn't invent the hiring of a parent as an assistant coach. Sounds like Mitchell had more coaching bona fides than some other parents that have coattailed their talented offspring.

I can understand why McGuff gets criticized. I'm always going to give him some credit for quickly turning around UW. They were really bad when he took over coming off of Tia Jackson's disastrous tenure. In a short time he had them winning 20 games and going to the WNIT and brought some talented players in. Neighbors continued to build on the foundation McGuff established and made 3 straight Tourney appearances, including the school's first Final 4.
Yes on your first point - I don't know if you ever saw the (ex-player) mother that Andy Lander's hired years ago. OMG - deer in the headlights.

As to the 2nd, no, I guess in the end I don't really know why he gets criticized. Whatever he does has worked so far. See what happens going forward. He isn't on my list of coaches I "like", but I don't have anything against him. He was nice enough to say hello and shake hands as he was leaving the court after a Washington / Arizona game - the oBE connection caused us to call to him.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
While many of us here scoff at both McGuffs hiring of Mitchell as an assistant and on his under achieving with a team expected to contend for a Final Four spot in Columbus, he did win the Big10title outright and has made tOSU relevant in WCBB for the time being. He is not going to be fired anytime soon. His situation is analogous to Holly Warlick almost to a “T”. Both are ranked, have pretty good records and in Warlick’s Case, another high rated class, and in McGuff’s case a strong finish, a top player produced and a Big 10 title. Both are safe for at least another year.

It is similar to Warlick's situation. I don't see McGuff getting fired unless he starts having losing seasons, which I expect will start next year. Both him and Holly have accomplished less with more talent than almost any other team in the country. Ohio State should be a top 5 team and threat to make the Final Four, but they're barely a top 15 team. I also expect them to completely fall off the map after this year when they lose 6 of their 7 top scorers. No standout recruits or transfers coming either.

Whether it's allowed or not, I think it is incredibly shady to hire a player's parent the year the player starts school. I did not like when Landers did it and I don't like it with McGuff. Whether the coach is qualified or not, it sets a bad precedent and in this case, the Mitchells were able to milk a scholarship for Chelsea Mitchell out of it too. It's no secret that she's barely a D1 caliber player. Chelsea and her father were suspended a few years ago for, "conduct detrimental to the team." I think the entire situation of hiring a recruit's parent and giving a scholarship to an undeserving sibling sets a bad precedent all around. I'm also willing to guess that the Mitchell clan enlightened Tori McCoy to try pulling the same antics and get a scholarship for her mediocre sister wherever she transferred to.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So basically Mitchell got her education paid for, her sister's education paid for, and her father a 100k+/year job.
Kelsey was always going to get her education paid for regardless of where she went. Whether her father would have been considered for college roles is a 50/50 as many HS coaches move up to the college assistant ranks. I don't know enough about the sister to offer any insight but this does have eery similarities to the Lonzo Ball situation at UCLA...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Wbbfan, I disagree with your description of Mitchell as a great player. I would agree that she is a great scorer, but as far as all of the other aspects of basketball she is average or below average. As with the rest of her teammates, she doesn't play defense and only scores because she takes the majority of her team's shots. She may hold the big ten scoring record, and won a Big 10 Championship, in a year that the league is mediocre, but she hasn't won any other team championships. Lets see if her WNBA career is different then Plums.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom