Mark May & Lou Holtz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mark May & Lou Holtz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The original "justification" that Joe Paterno and people in power at PSU, did not turn in Sandusky because they were "protecting the PSU brand" made zero sense. If Sandusky was the problem, you removed him after turning him in, and looked like heroes.

That Sandusky was the head of a rotting fish, where it was in the interest of many for him to not be arrested makes more sense, as sick as it sounds.

I agree with your first point.
Your second point may be true--and I've been alluding constantly to total weirdness from the UP Campus Police, DAs investigation on up to the AG investigation.
On the other hand, it could all still be because, one, Paterno downplayed the gravity of the offense because of his old guard ways, and two, people were afraid to cross Paterno.

There are three different explanation:

1. Protecting PSU
2. A bigger story involving local elites including law enforcement
3. Paterno's blind eye

Reaction Score
That this broke exactly when Paterno surpassed Eddie Robinson as the all time Division 1 winner is odd timing as well.

Just as an FYI, the NYT reports this morning that the GJ report was not supposed to be released at all since they are in the midst of an investigation.

It was leaked by someone, not held back until Paterno passed Robinson.

Given that the governor had awareness of the case for years, perhaps as early as the Gricar disappearance, and maybe even earlier, it has a political element as well.

The NYT strongly implies that the PSU BOT was NOT going to fire Paterno until the Governor insisted on it.

Reaction Score
According to reports out there now, there are allegations against Sandusky as far back as 1995...so your conjecture seems to be correct.

Also, I am seeing online now that Sandusky was released and is free without paying any money for bail (despite reports of a $100k bail). At what point does the state or even the Fed's step in and take over in Happy Valley? It seems like thre are still people in power who are blinded by the 'All Might Penn State Football'!

Uh, not getting you here. The state has been in control of this investigation since 2005 when it was turned over to them. Sandusky was indicted in Harrisburg, the state capitol.

Reaction Score
it's interesting to me that with all we've found out over the last week or two, most of it was apparently known and common knowledge a decade ago. where was the media on this back then? apparently it was reported somewhat, but how come i was told about every detail of paris hilton's whereabouts in 2005, but i had no idea that a DA investigating higher ups at Pennstate went missing and his hardrive found in a river? did the Pennsylvania locals know about all of this and it just didnt make national news?

Everything is getting a bit contorted. The investigation in 1998 was not reported. There was an investigation. Who knew about it? No one outside the law enforcement officials and the PSU people who reported Sandusky to Schultz are on the record. No media reports either. That's why 2002 is key, because it seems that the same procedure PSU followed in 1998 was NOT followed in 2002. The missing DA is all speculation. The AG hasn't reported whether this was an active investigation (i.e. from 1998 or 2002 on to when the new DA forwarded the files to the AG in 2005). So we don't know hat the pass off was all about. Something is very fishy there, especially the story of the harddrive.

The news reports came much later, after Sandusky was caught with a football player on the Clinton County high School team when he was volunteering as an assistant. That was in 2007 I believe. A grand jury was convened in 2009, and that is when the news reports started coming out

This is only my assumption but I believe this didn't make national news because it was about a coach molesting children. This week's revelations are about who at PSU knew about the crimes and tried to cover it up. Two different things.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Uh, not getting you here. The state has been in control of this investigation since 2005 when it was turned over to them. Sandusky was indicted in Harrisburg, the state capitol.

Didn't know that--thanks for the info. That makes it even more strange. Is it normal to let someone accused of over 40 occasions of child rape go free on bond so easily? Maybe it is...I don't know. But it doesn't seem right.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
At what point does the state or even the Fed's step in and take over in Happy Valley?

Just got the answer to my question...reports are that the FBI is now involved with the investigation.

Reaction Score
Just got the answer to my question...reports are that the FBI is now involved with the investigation.

The FBI may only be concerned with PSU's violation of the Clery Act, which is that all campus crimes must be reported to the Feds.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
The FBI may only be concerned with PSU's violation of the Clery Act, which is that all campus crimes must be reported to the Feds.

Isn't that handled by the Depart of Education? Would the FBI really get involved if it was just failure to report crime statistics?

I am guessing that the FBI is involved because the allegations are that Sandusky was bringing these kids to bowl games and road games while molesting them....thus crossing state lines and engaging the Fed's. That will be their reason to get involved...but I am sure their scope will broaden quickly (as do most cases which the FBI gets involved).

Reaction Score
Isn't that handled by the Depart of Education? Would the FBI really get involved if it was just failure to report crime statistics?

I am guessing that the FBI is involved because the allegations are that Sandusky was bringing these kids to bowl games and road games while molesting them....thus crossing state lines and engaging the Fed's. That will be their reason to get involved...but I am sure their scope will broaden quickly (as do most cases which the FBI gets involved).

You're right, I may be wrong. I'm not sure thought that the DoE can issue fines as violations of the Clery Act require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom