Mark Hollis, MSU AD, still at it: predicts Big Ten will be at 16 teams in five years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mark Hollis, MSU AD, still at it: predicts Big Ten will be at 16 teams in five years

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I grew up in NYC (Queens, went to HS in Manhattan), did my undergrad in Upstate NY and went to Michigan for graduate school.

I relocated to California recently for work.

...are you going somewhere with this?
Im guessing he wants to track you down for a beating? ;)

Reaction Score
I grew up in NYC (Queens, went to HS in Manhattan), did my undergrad in Upstate NY and went to Michigan for graduate school.

I relocated to California recently for work.

...are you going somewhere with this?

Was wondering about the NYC area comments about needing open prairies to play football. There are plenty of football fields outside of manhattan, so I was perplexed by your comment. Obviously a basketball court is easier and cheaper to build and more plentiful in the city. Lots of football being played in jersey, the island, westchester and Fairfield. I'd be curious to know how many football fields have been paved over for malls and buildings since the 60/70s.

Reaction Score
Was wondering about the NYC area comments about needing open prairies to play football. There are plenty of football fields outside of manhattan, so I was perplexed by your comment. Obviously a basketball court is easier and cheaper to build and more plentiful in the city. Lots of football being played in jersey, the island, westchester and Fairfield. I'd be curious to know how many football fields have been paved over for malls and buildings since the 60/70s.

Well, technically those areas are part of NYC metro but not NYC itself ;) ...and I would consider NJ separately from the greater NYC since the Big Ten put its flag there already with Rutgers.

I never got the sense that football was a major high school sport when I was growing up - seemed like the #3 or #4 sport after basketball, soccer (and baseball/lax/whatever). Given the sheer size of NYC Metro there will be a fair number of D-1 prospects that do come out, but it's pretty small for the size of the metro.

Currently I think NY sends about 15-20 to D-1 schools a year, which is pretty small for the a state with a population of almost 20M. Even if you don't compare that to a hotbed state like Florida (a similar sized state which sends well over 100 annually to D-1 programs) NY should be closer to 40 prospects/year to be considered an average-good state for recruiting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Outside the 5 Boroughs, and the Capital Region, New York resembles Connecticut west of the CT River, if not more rural. It's farm land and residential neighborhoods.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Well, technically those areas are part of NYC metro but not NYC itself ;) ...and I would consider NJ separately from the greater NYC since the Big Ten put its flag there already with Rutgers.

I never got the sense that football was a major high school sport when I was growing up - seemed like the #3 or #4 sport after basketball, soccer (and baseball/lax/whatever). Given the sheer size of NYC Metro there will be a fair number of D-1 prospects that do come out, but it's pretty small for the size of the metro.

Currently I think NY sends about 15-20 to D-1 schools a year, which is pretty small for the a state with a population of almost 20M. Even if you don't compare that to a hotbed state like Florida (a similar sized state which sends well over 100 annually to D-1 programs) NY should be closer to 40 prospects/year to be considered an average-good state for recruiting.

12 million of those people live in NYC or just outside the limits of the 5 boroughs, but still in an urban setting. There are basketball courts at almost every NYC park. It's a much easier sport to organize and train for out of season in that setting. It's difficult to do stadium stairs at a brownstone on Amsterdam Ave. (or wherever) for instance.

There was a time that Army was in the National Championship hunt with ND every year, but that is when Football could be played by any Tom, Dick, or Harry. Football has become such a specialized sport that it is harder to stay in training year round.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Watching Rutgers play Ohio State, Michigan, etc. makes me want to puke. Jealousy sucks.

I hear ya, but do you think SUNJ will ever be anything but the new Indiana of the BiG? I don't. So who would casual fans/P5 power brokers pay more attention too; SUNJ and Minnesota duking it out in the "not-to-be-last-in-the-BiG" bowl, or an AAC-dominant UConn playing a Texas or Florida school (or Cinci) for a shot at a major bowl? I think the shine of BiG membership at SUNJ will wear off very quickly.

PS- I still think fondly of the 'Rent opener against Indiana...the "Still on his feet!" clip stilll brings tears to my eyes...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who wants to watch a single Rutgers game as they're going to be laughing at us all the way to the bank in a few years when they're making 4-5X as much as we are. That's the part that drives me crazy. They've accomplished nothing athletically and get rewarded because they happened to be lucky enough to be located in a state with a lot of TV sets and close enough to NYC. UConn wins championships in multiple sports and gets the shaft.

It just doesn't make any sense success wise but clearly, no one in CR cares about success. No wait, they do care that's why Louisville was selected over UConn last time. But wait, RU and MD haven't been successful but we don't care because they have a lot of TV sets. But wait, WVU was successful and so the Big-12 took them. But Colorado and Utah haven't done too much but it helped the Pac-12 with TV sets.....this is nonsensical! Who knows what the reasoning will be next go-round

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter who wants to watch a single Rutgers game as they're going to be laughing at us all the way to the bank in a few years when they're making 4-5X as much as we are. That's the part that drives me crazy. They've accomplished nothing athletically and get rewarded because they happened to be lucky enough to be located in a state with a lot of TV sets and close enough to NYC. UConn wins championships in multiple sports and gets the shaft.

It just doesn't make any sense success wise but clearly, no one in CR cares about success. No wait, they do care that's why Louisville was selected over UConn last time. But wait, RU and MD haven't been successful but we don't care because they have a lot of TV sets. But wait, WVU was successful and so the Big-12 took them. But Colorado and Utah haven't done too much but it helped the Pac-12 with TV sets.....this is nonsensical! Who knows what the reasoning will be next go-round

Sure SUNJ will make lotsa money, and will spend eternity with their football peers: Duke, Vanderbilt, Oregon State/Washington State,Baylor. Getting a nice paycheck while achieving NOTHING. The "kept man" of the BiG. The intended focus of my posts was who WILL watch UConn, particularly P5 power brokers. Which is more compelling; 3-8 SUNJ vs 5-6 Illinois or UConn vs. USF/UCF/Houston/Cinci for a AAC championship and a possible major bowl birth?

pj

Reaction Score
Is it really so hard to succeed in the B1G? I don't expect RU to get to the level of Ohio State or Michigan but Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin seem within reach. I see them middle of the pack in the B1G right away with potential to rise.

Frankly, if UConn were in the B1G, I would expect us to be middle of the pack within 4-5 recruiting classes. And Rutgers is in a more advantageous recruiting territory than UConn.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I could see them middle of the pack in the B1G right away with potential to rise. I'll believe it when I see it.

Frankly, if UConn were in the B1G, I would expect us to be middle of the pack within 4-5 recruiting classes. And Rutgers is in a more advantageous recruiting territory than UConn. I don't disagree with this, but the overall success of UConn's AD to date as compared to SUNJ leads me to believe that our upside over time could be far greater than SUNJ's. But of course I see through homer-colored glasses.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is it really so hard to succeed in the B1G? I don't expect RU to get to the level of Ohio State or Michigan but Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin seem within reach. I could see them middle of the pack in the B1G right away with potential to rise.

Frankly, if UConn were in the B1G, I would expect us to be middle of the pack within 4-5 recruiting classes. And Rutgers is in a more advantageous recruiting territory than UConn.
I think it'd be tougher for us but I can see Rutgers above Minn, IU, Purdue, MD, and competing with the Iowa and NW of the B1G. However, if recruiting picks up for them, which it likely will they can be a upper level program. Tons of talent in NJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If Rutgers is competative in the B1G it will make us more palatable to them at least from a football perspective.
The UConn vs Rutgers battle for NY creates a ready made rivalry.
The B1G loves rivalry and tradition.
The B1G Apple Battle
believe

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Husky25

Reaction Score
If Rutgers is competative in the B1G it will make us more palatable to them at least from a football perspective.
The UConn vs Rutgers battle for NY creates a ready made rivalry.
The B1G loves rivalry and tradition.
The B1G Apple Battle
believe

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I'll buy that for a dollar.

Reaction Score
I could see them middle of the pack in the B1G right away with potential to rise. I'll believe it when I see it.

Frankly, if UConn were in the B1G, I would expect us to be middle of the pack within 4-5 recruiting classes. And Rutgers is in a more advantageous recruiting territory than UConn. I don't disagree with this, but the overall success of UConn's AD to date as compared to SUNJ leads me to believe that our upside over time could be far greater than SUNJ's. But of course I see through homer-colored glasses.

You sure must see through homer colored glasses. How have all those championships in other sports helped your football program, which has finished behind RU more often than not in the conference standings?

Do you even realize that Rutgers has finished higher in the Big East standings in 5 out of the last 7 years? Only in '07 and '10 has UCONN finished higher.

Obviously football is a different animal...or Duke, which is successful in EVERYTHING ELSE, wouldn't be one of the worst programs in the history of college football.

But go on thinking your upside would be far greater. Not just greater, but far greater.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You sure must see through homer colored glasses. How have all those championships in other sports helped your football program, which has finished behind RU more often than not in the conference standings?

Do you even realize that Rutgers has finished higher in the Big East standings in 5 out of the last 7 years? Only in '07 and '10 has UCONN finished higher.

Obviously football is a different animal...or Duke, which is successful in EVERYTHING ELSE, wouldn't be one of the worst programs in the history of college football.

But go on thinking your upside would be far greater. Not just greater, but far greater.

This rings as about relevant as Dan Duquette stating that Red Sox had more days in first place in 2001 than the Yankees.

There is one and only one stat that is important when describing why Rutgers received an invite to the Big Ten and why UConn is fighting for a non-4-team playoff spot in the BCS. That stat is 13.6 vs. 137...as in the driving distance, if not linear distance, from the respective campuses to Manhattan.

Pairs of Eyeballs subscribing to Cablevision and Time Warner, people. That's all that is important. Period.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Outside the 5 Boroughs, and the Capital Region, New York resembles Connecticut west of the CT River, if not more rural. It's farm land and residential neighborhoods.

Much more rural. CT like suburbs north to Poughkeepsie and immediately around Albany. After that it's more like Western PA becoming a bit WV-like if you stray too far from the interstate.

The old industrial towns up the hudson/erie canal route don't have much outside the City.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Husky25

Reaction Score
Much more rural. CT like suburbs north to Poughkeepsie and immediately around Albany. After that it's more like Western PA becoming a bit WV-like if you stray too far from the interstate.

The old industrial towns up the hudson/erie canal route don't have much outside the City.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I was trying to give it a little credit. I have family in the Albany-Troy, whom I visit quite often. There is still a road on the way from Watervliet to Mechanicville (off 238, IIRC) called Farm-to-Market Road. Don't get to much more rural than that...

Although, I've passed through a Town in South Dakota where the state population was 10, and they didn't have any named streets. The little green signs literally stated, "Street No.1," "Street No. 2", etc.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yada yada yada...

But go on thinking your upside would be far greater. Not just greater, but far greater. Likewise. Enjoy eternity at the bottom of the BiG.

Reaction Score
Yada yada yada...

But go on thinking your upside would be far greater. Not just greater, but far greater. Likewise. Enjoy eternity at the bottom of the BiG.

Thanks, I will....and I'll be sure to catch you battling it for fourth place in the AAC....to see who gets the nod to the "Ned's Cubed Meat Bowl" against a mid level Sun Belt Conference.

Maybe once every 8-10 years you'll get the privilege to face a Big 5 conference team in a bowl people have actually heard of.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I will....and I'll be sure to catch you battling it for fourth place in the AAC....to see who gets the nod to the "Ned's Cubed Meat Bowl" against a mid level Sun Belt Conference.

Maybe once every 8-10 years you'll get the privilege to face a Big 5 conference team in a bowl people have actually heard of.

Don't be a jack@ss. You should have more respect than this and should expect some push back as it is a Uconn board. Secondly, the addition of Uconn to the B1G or ACC would benefit Rutgers or Syracuse respectively, by creating a very close regional rival in close proximity to NYC.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score

No doubt you hold your school and its football program in high regard. Good for you. I appreciate any fan's fervor. The only tool we possess to predict the future is what has happened in the past. The history of UConn's overall success INCLUDING football is, by any estimation, significantly greater than that of SUNJ,, and has been enumerated ad nauseam on this board. So I stand by my "far greater" assessment of our upside- perhaps even "far far greater". Sorry if you take umbrage at that- its just how I see it. Thanks for your interest in UConn football.

Oh... and your mother wears army boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom