Mark Few and what a real program looks like | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mark Few and what a real program looks like

Reaction Score
If you pay attention to how the coach scheduled at URI, maybe you wouldn’t be so concerned moving forward. Or maybe you would. I don’t know your life.

There’s a scheduling “game” to play to get into the tournament and to, ideally, earn a high seed, and Hurley’s shown he understands it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley has made scheduling comments already. It's going to improve
Schedule was basically set for 18-19 prior to Hurley getting hired according to Hurley himself.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree with the OP. I think when we first got relegated to the depths of the AAC we called for a better OOC. We've become complacent with mediocrity. Look at MSU, they always have a vicious OOC. Vicious to a fault, and they don't even need it as much. Its not as much as the diehard fans on here don't watch the cupcakes (I watch every game no matter) its more that the Chief casual fans won't fill the arena. They'd rather go to a competitive loss against Arizona than a clinic against Lafayette. The cupcakes are good for development, confidence and the walk-ons, but we can improve on this. As the program rebuilds, I assume the schedule will as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would tell you the MAAC is comparable to the WCC. Catholic second tier schools in urban settings ... often.

Having watched my share of Loyola Marymount (for a peculiar reason), I don't think they or USD or Pepperdine or Portland is better than Iona, Siena, Fairfield.

Do you understand? Playing Cincinnati, Houston, Temple, Memphis is a whole nother level over the last 10 years than most of that conference Gonzaga plays. They added BYU. Good. Saint Mary's under Randy is damn good. Maybe USF is rising. Occasionally others. But we regularly get a better conference test.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What we lack in our current OOC is made up with games against Houston, UCF, Temple, Cincy etc. And our out of conference has been pretty damn good so far...of which, we've won 1 game against a quality team. Gonzaga doesn't really have that option. They have to schedule quality opponents outside of their conference. You schedule that many good teams out of conference in our current state, and lose them, and the season is over before conference play even begins. We'll get there soon enough. But Gonzaga has no choice. At least we have quality opponents in the upper half of the conference. That said, I do agree that I wish they pick a few better teams than the Manhatten's of the world. But you can't load up against top teams when you haven't sniffed the top 25 in 2+ years

If you think any AAC conference win means anything come Selection Sunday then you have not watched Selection Sunday

Reaction Score
When we get better players we will need to upgrade the OOC, hopefully next year.

Reaction Score
If you pay attention to how the coach scheduled at URI, maybe you wouldn’t be so concerned moving forward. Or maybe you would. I don’t know your life.

There’s a scheduling “game” to play to get into the tournament and to, ideally, earn a high seed, and Hurley’s shown he understands it.

To this point:

Indeed, had the schedule not essentially been in place before Hurley was hired at the end of March, he would have likely tried to schedule a non-conference road game or two. Alas, the Huskies first true road game will be that Jan. 2 bout at USF.

“You need to have at least one road, non-conference game,” Hurley explained. “Now, two, with the way you get an at-large bid. Getting road wins is big, in terms of that whole recipe now to get an at-large bid. I just think it’s something you want to experience before you get into those valuable conference games. You should have at least one experience (of a) hostile crowd, getting signals from the bench instead of verbal cues or calls. That’s something, moving forward, I think you’ll see road games on the schedule.”

UConn men return from weeklong respite to face Manhattan on Saturday night

Reaction Score
Gonzaga OOC
Tue, Nov 6
Idaho State
Texas Southern
Texas A&M
Illinois
Arizona
Duke
North Dakota State
Creighton
Washington
Tennessee
North Carolina
UT Arlington
Denver
North Alabama
CSU Bakersfield

UConn OOC
Morehead St
UMKC
Cuse
Iowa
Cornell
UNH
UMass Lowell
Arizona
Lafayette
FSU
Manhattan
Drexel
Nova

One OOC is not like the other. I just saw the Instagram post from the UConn huskies account bribing students to come watch UConn vs trash Manhattan tomorrow night by offering FREE CHICKEN FINGERS. Mark Few gets it. Build a focused brand. Match your brand against other high profile big market brands. Their OOC this year is incredible. This is how you elevate a program. UConn can't do anything in the short-term about their conference schedule but they sure as hell could improve their OOC. maybe no one wants to come out to the game tomorrow night because you're playing MANHATTAN. Even if it meant more neutral site games play better programs. iron sharpens iron. Enough with the UNH, Lowell, lafayettes of the world.

Put the mountain dew down Benedict and pick up the phone and get better games. you likely have a top recruiting class coming in next year with a solid core coming back. schedule accordingly.
Does a "real program" have 4 or 0 national championships?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll take four championships plus a less impressive schedule a rebuilding year over zero titles and games versus Tennessee and UNC.

Few's done a remarkable job. But our goals should be higher than regular season success.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much influence Hurley had on this year's schedule but I would bet next season's will be more to everyone's liking. Hurley doesn't seem the type to pad the schedule too, too much. He understands strength of schedule. Like Calhoun did, I'm sure Hurley and Benedict will still reach out to some of the weaker regional schools they have a rapport with. A few strategic cupcakes in the schedule never hurt anyone. Not Duke. Not Kentucky. Not Kansas. A few I say ;)

Reaction Score
Gonzaga, with its zero national titles, is definitely the program UConn should be emulating.

Reaction Score
I would trade our last 4 years for Gonzaga's with zero hesitation.
The last four years have been Gonzaga’s best ever, and UConn’s worst in decades.

Arbitrary sample sizes don’t make for a strong argument.

Reaction Score
If you’re a fan of a team, you go to games to watch the team you like, not their opponent. Anything otherwise is weak sauce.
The one thing that makes sports compelling is the outcome is unknown. The program is reeling from the last 2 years. People have no desire to pay to see the Manhattan's / UMBC's et al. Does nothing for SOS. The games look like glorified scrimmages to me.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The one thing that makes sports compelling is the outcome is unknown. The program is reeling from the last 2 years. People have no desire to pay to see the Manhattan's / UMBC's et al. Does nothing for SOS. The games look like glorified scrimmages to me.

Getting to watch the UConn Huskies play should make the price of admission worth it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Are we doing worst post of the year nominations already?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Remember when JC would schedule mediocre in-state/New England teams because he felt UConn represented New England?

Well, if you want to be NYC's team, you schedule Manhattan, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom