Mark Emmert talks about changes to the NCAA | The Boneyard

Mark Emmert talks about changes to the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ident-mark-emmert-says-lot-change-coming-ncaa

Not too much new here. Just reinforces that the NCAA may be headed for major changes in the coming months. One thing I noted was that he did not mentioned that Conferences were intrested in splitting into a new division, but rather he said individual schools. I made the trip to Durham on Saturday, and as much as I have always liked Duke, I was embarrassed by the facilities. The football field was not much better than some high school fields and the stands were empty. If this split is to include Universities (as opposed to Conferences) that meet a criteria, I think this would be a plus for Uconn. Every conference has a least a team or two that have been given a pass for being a long term member. With new criteria, Uconn could likely take the place of a few of these smaller schools. I only caught the second half of the Uconn-Michigan game, but I was impressed with atmosphere. I have never made a trip to the Rent, but I did not expect that after hearing complaints about the size and needed expansion. It's going to be an interesting winter with the changes to the NCAA, but I wish Uconn the best of luck to join a major conference in the near future.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ident-mark-emmert-says-lot-change-coming-ncaa

Not too much new here. Just reinforces that the NCAA may be headed for major changes in the coming months. One thing I noted was that he did not mentioned that Conferences were intrested in splitting into a new division, but rather he said individual schools. I made the trip to Durham on Saturday, and as much as I have always liked Duke, I was embarrassed by the facilities. The football field was not much better than some high school fields and the stands were empty. If this split is to include Universities (as opposed to Conferences) that meet a criteria, I think this would be a plus for Uconn. Every conference has a least a team or two that have been given a pass for being a long term member. With new criteria, Uconn could likely take the place of a few of these smaller schools. I only caught the second half of the Uconn-Michigan game, but I was impressed with atmosphere. I have never made a trip to the Rent, but I did not expect that after hearing complaints about the size and needed expansion. It's going to be an interesting winter with the changes to the NCAA, but I wish Uconn the best of luck to join a major conference in the near future.

I can't believe that Duke skates by with that stadium. The place we're gonna play at in Buffalo this weekend is comparable. Duke will never be left behind though. Wake could be in trouble maybe. They bring little to the table.

Reaction Score

Duke is spending $250 million on the Athletic department and facilities upgrades this year and next. One of the ugrades will be Wallace Wade Stadium. As you noticed, it is badly needed. I don't know if you saw any of the work going on, but supposedly the new track is under construction along with renovations to the Lacrosse Stadium. Once they get the track moved, they are supposed to start on the football stadium after this season. One of the things they are going to do is get the track out of the football stadium. That is a very dated concept these days. They aren't planning to add many seats, but they plan to make the place much nicer and more modern.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ovations-for-83-year-old-wallace-wade-stadium

Reaction Score
The endzone at Wallace Wade was closed many years ago and there were seats there before the decision was made to cut capacity from over 40,000 to about 33,000. The scoreboard had a game clock that actually had hands and it was always tough to tell the last few seconds of a quarter. Anyway, the location is nice but the fans don't come. Even when I was there as a student many many years ago and also even in the 1950's when my mom worked there and my father was finishing up an advanced degree the place never sold out, except maybe for UNC every two years. I still have a souvenir miniature football from the 1965 Pitt game (known as the under the armPitt game in true Duke fashion) but I would guess there were no more than 25000 for that game either and Duke was decent then. Duke survives on everything but football--it's an exception. They can fix the place up and be a top 20 team but they still won't draw much. It's just how it is.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that Duke skates by with that stadium. The place we're gonna play at in Buffalo this weekend is comparable. Duke will never be left behind though. Wake could be in trouble maybe. They bring little to the table.

But, the powers that be believe history is very important. Thus, Wallace Stadium, which is older and smaller that the Rent, is regarded as a better stadium because it hosted a Rose Bowl in 1942 due to WWII.

As for Duke itself, if the ACC was to fall apart, Duke's survival in a P4 conference would likely rely upon its political attachment to UNC as both the B1G and the SEC covet UNC, Duke not so much (AAU, good basket ball, poor football, small, and not a state U).

Reaction Score
History important?

Hey...Duke played in the Rose Bowl twice, beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, beat Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl, beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl...besides being basketball national champs in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010 and ten time finals team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, about those basketball national championships....it seems they're a mite underappreciated in this day and age.

Reaction Score
Basketball championships are important in CR? WOOHOO WE'RE SAVED!

Reaction Score
Dook is Dook. Every football conference has an Indiana or Kansas.

Just as some wines are advertised as "fruit forward"...Duke and UNC are "basketball forward" programs.

Reaction Score
Dook is Dook. Every football conference has an Indiana or Kansas.

Just as some wines are advertised as "fruit forward"...Duke and UNC are "basketball forward" programs.

Yeah, but, every basketball conference has a Florida St., Virginia Tech, Penn State, and Texas A&M too! Matter of fact, the SEC excels in this kind of thing!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
One of the things they are going to do is get the track out of the football stadium. That is a very dated concept these days.
I beg to differ. Lots of high schools have a track going around their football field.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Lots of high schools have a track going around their football field.

Not in major college football. A track inside the football stadium takes up too much room, i.e. fewer seats, and pushes the fans too far away from the game. I believe that even USC, now that they have control of the LA Coliseum, plans to get rid of the track. No idea what that means if LA ever gets the Olympics again. That is the only major program that I can think of that has a track inside the stadium.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but, every basketball conference has a Florida St., Virginia Tech, Penn State, and Texas A&M too! Matter of fact, the SEC excels in this kind of thing!

Exactly...and when football drives the bus, the SEC is in front. The Big East has some nifty basketball, but so what when talking CR.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Not in major college football. A track inside the football stadium takes up too much room, i.e. fewer seats, and pushes the fans too far away from the game. I believe that even USC, now that they have control of the LA Coliseum, plans to get rid of the track. No idea what that means if LA ever gets the Olympics again. That is the only major program that I can think of that has a track inside the stadium.
Sorry, my response was more of a joke that Duke is similar to high school programs.

Reaction Score
Sorry, my response was more of a joke that Duke is similar to high school programs.

Careful, there are a couple of HS football programs in Texas with newer and larger stadiums that may take offense at that comparison :D

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The only announcement from Emmert that I would ever care to read is the one containing his resignation.

Reaction Score
What does USC removing a track have to do with anything? That stadium is so old, you remove the track, and then what? There is no track, but the seats are not getting closer to the field, unless you just stick the field further in one quarter.

Reaction Score
Last time Wallace Wade was sold out was when the Stones played there Big Bang tour,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom