Marinatto: Notre Dame chairs the Big East expansion committee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marinatto: Notre Dame chairs the Big East expansion committee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That sounds an awful lot like an opinion. Georgetown and Villanova are playing each other on CBS this year. Why would CBS waste airtime on teams that aren't brands?

Villanova and Georgetown can fly their NCAA champtionship banners during the game. ND can't do that.
ND basketball is way more valuable than Nova and Georgetown? Maybe on the women's side or on another planet.
that sounds an awful lot like an opinion.

Notre Dame is playing Marquette on CBS this year. Why would CBS waste airtime on teams that aren't brands?

I took a quick look at the schedules. Including preseason tournaments, ND is on tv 24 times including every single game after christmas when big east play heats up, Nova 16 times with 5 games after christmas not being televised. Georgetown has 26 games televised, but they are playing in Maui, which is the essentially difference in televised games between them and ND.

I'll give you Georgetown, but ND is definitely more valuable than Nova.

Reaction Score
Phew, I was about to whip out counting the number of countries in the world have had a head of state that was a Geogetown alum vs. an ND alum and elevating this to a "global brand" discussion.

Good point, because the amount of times teams are shown on television has nothing to do with a conversation about the value teams bring to a television contract.

A better argument would be pointing to the banners on the ceiling from 30 years that nobody on TV ever sees. That is much more relevant to contract value in today's market.

Reaction Score
Good point, because the amount of times teams are shown on television has nothing to do with a conversation about the value teams bring to a television contract.

You might be putting the cart before the horse wtih that argument. The real measure his how many fat guys with HS educations wear the team gear.

Reaction Score
You might be putting the cart before the horse wtih that argument. The real measure his how many fat guys with HS educations wear the team gear.
You might be avoiding the fact that how many times they are on TV is far more relevant to a discussion of TV contract values than some dusty banners from 30 years ago.

Look, I admitted I was wrong about Gtown, it wouldn't kill you to admit being wrong about Nova instead of just being a smartass with nothing really relevant to add to the discussion.

Reaction Score
I think there could be a good reason why ND is chair of the expansion committee. At this time, the BE can not negotiate media rights with anyone except ESPN. So, the BE can not talk to NBC about the potential value of the new BE. But, ND is a business partner with NBC and they can talk about all kinds of potential values, with the exception of specific values for a BE contract.

If, and it is a big if, the BE pulls off the 12 team football conference and keeps the basketball schools, NBC may be willing to pony up a big contract as the BE would present a lot of inventory for NBC. Imagine, a BE football game on Thursday night, one on Saturday at noon, followed by ND, and then a BE Saturday night game. For the winter, there is plenty of inventory of men's and women's basketball.
I agree. Yes, Notre Dame could've done things to avoid the current mess, but let's not throw the Big East's most recognized tv brand out the window. Notre Dame commands eyeballs and tv market share. I guess its fashionable to trash Notre Dame, but think twice before you do.

Reaction Score
Those NCAA banners are from almost 30 years ago. Not sure they are all that meaningful to anyone under 45. As to why they are on CBS, they likely both will be ranked. TWo ranked teams are usually a pretty attractive game.

So by that logic Lousiville and Indiana aren't meaningful either? Along with all but the 15 other teams that have won a championship since Villanova won.

Reaction Score
You might be avoiding the fact that how many times they are on TV is far more relevant to a discussion of TV contract values than some dusty banners from 30 years ago.

Look, I admitted I was wrong about Gtown, it wouldn't kill you to admit being wrong about Nova instead of just being a smartass with nothing really relevant to add to the discussion.

Only 15 teams have banners that are more recent. I'm not going to stand up for Villanova becuase I don't care. I don't think they are a great brand, but they are a far better basketball team and program than ND. I do care about Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Here is the irony of this entire thread. If the Big XII takes LV, ND will go to the ACC for all sports but football, with a "deal" for football interactions, and we will go with it. Our butt will, at the end, be saved by ND.

Does that mean all the people here more concerned with hating ND than liking UConn will now have to hate UConn as well? Just sayin ....

Reaction Score
Here is the irony of this entire thread. If the Big XII takes LV, ND will go to the ACC for all sports but football, with a "deal" for football interactions, and we will go with it. Our butt will, at the end, be saved by ND.

Does that mean all the people here more concerned with hating ND than liking UConn will now have to hate UConn as well? Just sayin ....
I'd take that deal in a nanosecond.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I hear you, who else would you pick? USF? They may be the only other school that wants to see this all work.

I'd think the school that chairs should be a football school. And, if you want to be clever, make it a school that might leave. Perhaps create a feeling of ownership of the situation. Pick 3 FB schools most likely to leave for the committee. If they decline, you know they want to go. If they take it, they'll be investing in their own future. So, 3 FB schools 2 BB schools and ND because you want to keep them in the loop...and close to you.

Reaction Score
I'd think the school that chairs should be a football school. And, if you want to be clever, make it a school that might leave. Perhaps create a feeling of ownership of the situation. Pick 3 FB schools most likely to leave for the committee. If they decline, you know they want to go. If they take it, they'll be investing in their own future. So, 3 FB schools 2 BB schools and ND because you want to keep them in the loop...and close to you.

Because that's worked so well before with BC and Pitt.

Everyone has an interest different from the interest of the league. No one is neutral. It really doesn't matter who the chief hen is as long as each and every one of them is watching the henhouse for their own purposes.

Reaction Score
Only 15 teams have banners that are more recent. I'm not going to stand up for Villanova becuase I don't care. I don't think they are a great brand, but they are a far better basketball team and program than ND. I do care about Georgetown.
A fact nobody cares about when negotiating television contracts.

I agree that Villanova is a better team and program than ND, but that's not what I was discussing. I don't think they are as big a tv draw nationally as ND. The fact ND is on TV more often than Nova supports my opinion.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Because that's worked so well before with BC and Pitt.

Everyone has an interest different from the interest of the league. No one is neutral. It really doesn't matter who the chief hen is as long as each and every one of them is watching the henhouse for their own purposes.

Good point on BC and Pitt. Evidently I'm still naive enough to believe our educational peers will conduct themselves with a modicum of integrity.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In this case FriarJ is correct. No school has more motivation to maintain the BE as a competent BCS football conference and a major conference in other sports than ND. If the deals that many claim (non football required membership for ND from other BCS conference) actually existed, ND would be gone already. The three catholic schools who have tried to find arrangements in other major conferences if the BE falls apart are what is keeping this mess together at the moment.

Reaction Score
If we start with the premise that there is no such thing as altruism in conference realignment, then it ia easy to see why ND is the chair.

What do we keep hearing? Notre Dame values its independence more than anything. Ergo, ND needs the Big East more than any other member. The BE is the only viable conference that would allow such a parasitic relationship.

Sometimes issues aren't that complex.

As I said a few weeks ago, ND will try to give a sweetheart deal to to bribe them into accepting the BE offer.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If we start with the premise that there is no such thing as altruism in conference realignment, then it ia easy to see why ND is the chair.

What do we keep hearing? Notre Dame values its independence more than anything. Ergo, ND needs the Big East more than any other member. The BE is the only viable conference that would allow such a parasitic relationship.

Sometimes issues aren't that complex.

As I said a few weeks ago, ND will try to give a sweetheart deal to to bribe them into accepting the BE offer.

Maybe a bit of stretch but asking ND to chair the expansion committee is akin to asking Israel to develop a plan for peace in the Middle East.

I'm sure Israel can come up with a plan but ultimately, whose best interests would it serve?

Reaction Score
So by that logic Lousiville and Indiana aren't meaningful either? Along with all but the 15 other teams that have won a championship since Villanova won.
It has been about as long since Villanova and Georgetown won banners as it had been from those two to San Francisco and LaSalle won them...San Franciso back to back. For all the blather about Georgetown and Villanova, one got lucky and the other had the player of the decade, but the decade was the 1980s. They both have exactly 1 Final four each since their championships, same as George Mason, Virginia Commonwealth, UMass and fewer than Butler.

Reaction Score
Maybe a bit of stretch but asking ND to chair the expansion committee is akin to asking Israel to develop a plan for peace in the Middle East.

I'm sure Israel can come up with a plan but ultimately, whose best interests would it serve?

Israel has had many plans for its survival and its best interest for all the parties involved. Problem is the other side wants it destroyed much like ACC wants the Big East destroyed. Best leave your political views the appropriate board. Shalom :)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Israel has had many plans for its survival and its best interest for all the parties involved. Problem is the other side wants it destroyed much like ACC wants the Big East destroyed. Best leave your political views the appropriate board. Shalom :)

LOL, not taking that bait, here or any other board.

Reaction Score
I am not really convinced that Notre Dame has all that many good options for its programs if the Big East spins out of control. No major conference will give them the no-strings deal the Big East does, I am guessing. Both the Big 12 and the ACC are going to want regular football games, and if you have to agree to play 3 or 4 "conference games" every year, at what point does it make more sense to just join? So in one way, maybe it does make sense for them to try and stablize the Big East going forward.

Reaction Score
An old thread, but like memories pressed between the pages of my mind, so nice to relive.

First thing that strikes me, most everyone's opinion was wrong. Except the chap who suggested that the school that chairs the Big East Expansion Committee is the team most likely to leave.

Which then begs the question, does anyone know if a replacement chair on the expansion committee has been selected (Aresco is on record as saying a 14th is still needed)?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Susan Herbst applied for the position

Reaction Score
I am so sick of ND. How can an institution, which is not fully invested in the conference, even be on the expansion committee let alone chair it?
Wasn't BC in a similar position? ND had no leverage with the BE. They should not have been a voting member let alone head any committee.

Reaction Score
"I think Notre Dame is as committed, if not more committed, in this conference than any other member because they view it as a very positive place," Marinatto said on a teleconference to discuss conference realignment issues."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom