Marinatto: method to his madness, or madness to his method?... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marinatto: method to his madness, or madness to his method?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will the ratings go up? Sure.

1) Will they go up to the point where the ad time is more valuable than what other networks offer for college football? Hell no.
2) Will they go up enough for ad time to cover what they are paying? Depends on what they are paying, which is why they likely won't overpay.

I don't think people are turning off SEC, B1G, ACC, and Pac 12 games to watch Big East football. And that's the biggest factor for the contract, not basketball.

Not most people, but I sure as hell am if they have a slate of BE games on tap for saturday. I think many, certainly not all, BE fans would as well.

Reaction Score
Not most people, but I sure as hell am if they have a slate of BE games on tap for saturday. I think many, certainly not all, BE fans would as well.

There's the rub.

Guess which BCS conference has the fewest fans....by a wide margin. And therefore, guess which conferences games will have the fewest viewers....by a wide margin.

Reaction Score
There's the rub.

Guess which BCS conference has the fewest fans....by a wide margin. And therefore, guess which conferences games will have the fewest viewers....by a wide margin.

Better than fishing shows.

Reaction Score
Better than fishing shows.
But not better than the SEC, B1G, Big XII or the ACC. So there's no reason for them to pay us more than those conferences are getting just to get in the game. They would lose money. Better to show ND, Bassmasters, and MMA (rapidly growing) than lose money on Big East football.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There's the rub.

Holy cow. Dozens of posts discussing whether a conference configuration that doesn't exist, and wasn't going to exist, might or might not have secured a lucrative enough contract to have existed. Let's call Stephen Hawking.

Reaction Score
Holy cow. Dozens of posts discussing whether a conference configuration that doesn't exist, and wasn't going to exist, might or might not have secured a lucrative enough contract to have existed. Let's call Stephen Hawking.

If I go back in time and kill my great grandfather do I exist?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well I get it now, which is why I started the thread in the first place. Um, thank you? :confused:

And for the record, I DO think JM is in over his head - he got Peter-Principled into this gig. I dunno, maybe Jeff Hathaway can now give him pointers on how to hang onto the job with a vise-like grip for a few extra years...
How to hang on to your job comissioner in the BE for the next two years.
1) Don't let Pit and Syracuse out before then.
2) Try not to sound like an ineffectual incompetent by saying things like "period", "exclamation point", "I'm going to tell your father when he gets home!" and my personal favorite "I'm counting to three!"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Right, I don't disagree with the perception part, I completely disagree where you think that means that there is no way we could break the bank with a TV deal if this thing somehow against all odds is held together. That's where we diverge greatly in opinion.

Don't bother arguing. Wing is waiting for the point where UConn is playing in a league with UMass and UNH so he can say "I told you so". He hasn't made a single constructive post since it was announced that Pitt and Syracuse were leaving. He must think we haven't figured out all by ourselves that UConn is in a world of trouble.

Reaction Score
bl loves to defend Marrinatto. Some of us don't and think he is over his head and was a horrible choice. the evidence is that such a view is shared by at least some of the schools. Can you imagine Dave Gavitt being informed by ESPN while watching a game at an ACC stadium that Pitt & Syracuse where heading for the door...to the ACC? Can you imagene Swofford being in that situation? Or Delaney? This was a longtime assistant who showed why he was an assitant. He had so little respect from the Chairman of the Big East, Nordenberg, with whom prresumably he works on a regular basis, that he was caught completely off guard and publicly embarrassed by this move. Just like he was on the Villanova upgrade where he was putting out hte word it was a done deal only to have it stopped by the football members.

Yes he does, just like he defended Hathaway, and Tranghese. He probably would have defended Herbert Hoover and McClellan too.

Reaction Score
Without replying to one specific post, many people are underestimating what a partnership with a supportive network would do for the Big East. The undeserved perception that the BE is much weaker than the ACC is the direct result of ESPN repeatedly saying it to the sheeple. With a fair and consistent marketing campaign by a partner network, say NBC, that perception could be changed. I truly believe that with expansion and a good network deal, the NBE will be a surprising success. You just need someone spoon feeding it to people for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom