Maria Marino | The Boneyard

Maria Marino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think she's the announcer for Monmouth University women's basketball games. I tuned in last month and she was the announcer. That's my alma matter and they were just building the arena when I attended there. I'm going to DVR the rest of the games because I've always enjoyed her work.
Excuse me if this has already been posted here but I thought some may be inerested.

Reaction Score
I thought she did a good job with UConn and was developing into in solid sportscaster, Monmouth doesn't seem like a climb up the ladder, but good for her, nonetheless.
Maybe Maria is a Bruce Springfield fan.... Nostalgia?? .... i.e. Monmouth is right next to Asbury Park. Then, of course, there
are the Atlantic Ocean beaches??

Reaction Score
I thought she did a good job with UConn and was developing into in solid sportscaster, Monmouth doesn't seem like a climb up the ladder, but good for her, nonetheless.
I nosed around the internet and find she is indeed now the Monmouth game announcer. She has done a variety of sports related media things ranging from podcasts to sideline reporter and wants to expand her resume with an announcer gig. Jumping into a game announcer role is a significant step up the ladder for her and Monmouth will be a good place to start. As with coaching you find that first job anywhere you can find it and if you do well the next job is is at a more high profile school, then rinse and repeat. I thought Maria did well covering Uconn for SNY and wish her the best in her new role.

Reaction Score
I liked her on SNY's UConn coverage. She has a verbal tic -- not exactly a speech impediment -- dropping mid-syllable Ts, and I wonder if she's going to address this. It's really the only flaw (and a tiny one) in her otherwise delightful onscreen presence.

Reaction Score
I liked her on SNY's UConn coverage. She has a verbal tic -- not exactly a speech impediment -- dropping mid-syllable Ts, and I wonder if she's going to address this. It's really the only flaw (and a tiny one) in her otherwise delightful onscreen presence.
It might be like how some people have southern accents etc. I really never noticed any flaws in her speech myself.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It might be like how some people have southern accents etc. I really never noticed any flaws in her speech myself.
She does have... a lot of.... random pauses... in her speech pattern. That ends up... giving her... a staccato… delivery.

Reaction Score
As long as I can follow the game and understand what she's saying it's good for me.

We have a radio announcer for one of the local minor league baseball teams who I can't stand to listen to. I have no idea what the score is or which team is winning. He goes all over the place and doesn't have a good radio voice.

Reaction Score
Is she from New Britain?

Reaction Score
T dropping is common now among English speakers around Maria's age. It's not really a tic, it's what sounds correct to them. They also morph Ts and Ds at the beginning of some words.

Reaction Score
it's what sounds correct to them.
Does it sound correct to you?

My daughter has a few speech habits that I hear all the time in my students. Like using the dative "by purpose" in place of the accusative "on purpose." It's not wrong, but it sounds off to my old ears. And so does that dropped T.

Reaction Score
I was exit # 131 my wife was at 99, " down the shore"!! Bruce was, of course, at Asbury Park. Somewhere ' in between'.
Cause down the shore everything’s all right. You and your baby on a Saturday night.
Well, you know all my dreams come true
When I'm walkin' down the street with you.

The most famous Bruce Springsteen lyrics - that aren’t!

Reaction Score
She did the Seton Hall women vs FDU game on Flohoops on Monday. She was good. She learned a lot from interviewing Geno at halftime!

Reaction Score
Cause down the shore everything’s all right. You and your baby on a Saturday night.
Well, you know all my dreams come true
When I'm walkin' down the street with you.

The most famous Bruce Springsteen lyrics - that aren’t!
I had to look that one up. You are right! Tom Waits. Bruce covered it! I like Boardwalk Angel by Beaver Brown from Eddie and the Cruisers better.

Nev

Reaction Score
As long as I can follow the game and understand what she's saying it's good for me.

We have a radio announcer for one of the local minor league baseball teams who I can't stand to listen to. I have no idea what the score is or which team is winning. He goes all over the place and doesn't have a good radio voice.
That's minor league baseball. Hire play-by-play right out of college. Hopefully he will get better if he returns next baseball season.

Reaction Score
I had to look that one up. You are right! Tom Waits. Bruce covered it! I like Boardwalk Angel by Beaver Brown from Eddie and the Cruisers better.
Yes, the song is Jersey Girl. The majority of people believe Bruce Springsteen wrote it. But as you stated, it was Tom Waits.

Reaction Score
Does it sound correct to you?

My daughter has a few speech habits that I hear all the time in my students. Like using the dative "by purpose" in place of the accusative "on purpose." It's not wrong, but it sounds off to my old ears. And so does that dropped T.
Slang?

Reaction Score
She did the Seton Hall women vs FDU game on Flohoops on Monday. She was good. She learned a lot from interviewing Geno at halftime!
I just tried to subscribe to Flohoops tonight so I could watch the Monmouth game tomorrow. I got an e-mail welcoming me to Flovolleyball...?
How do you get in touch with them if something goes wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom