Maria Conlon | The Boneyard

Maria Conlon

Reaction Score
1570561537118.png

Reaction Score
Connecticut and Naugatuck Valley's own----under rated and under appreciated--an excellent point guard, Foul and 3 point shooter. She was ice on the line. When Uconn can put REAL Connecticut kids on the school of Ct's team I'm more than pleased.
Thanks for posting this---all the best and all kinds of local support anticipated for a great kid. Thank you

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maria was also the helluva passer!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Great choice...she will make a heck of a coach...talented, knowledgeable, experienced and competitive beyond belief.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope she find can a good balance as a coach because I can't believe there are too many players out there that are as tough as she was.

Reaction Score
A little more for the newcomers. ;)

I'm far from a newcomer but I enjoyed reading this. Maria was (another) very special player on some special UConn teams. Definitely recommended reading for newcomers ... and a great refresher for old veterans too.

She'll likely be successful again, this time as a coach. Nice to see her in this position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm far from a newcomer but I enjoyed reading this. Maria was (another) very special player on some special UConn teams. Definitely recommended reading for newcomers ... and a great refresher for old veterans too.

She'll likely be successful again, this time as a coach. Nice to see her in this position.
Geno once famously commented that "she may be short, but she's also slow." Well she was the short slow PG for two national champs.

Reaction Score
Connecticut and Naugatuck Valley's own----under rated and under appreciated--an excellent point guard, Foul and 3 point shooter. She was ice on the line. When Uconn can put REAL Connecticut kids on the school of Ct's team I'm more than pleased.
Thanks for posting this---all the best and all kinds of local support anticipated for a great kid. Thank you

Sorry, but she certainly was appreciated. She was a fan favorite.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maria is a living refutation of those who say that Molly Bent doesn't have enough talent to play for UConn. As far as I can see, Molly is as good a shooter (if she gets regular playing time), much faster, with better hops, and in better shape to play extended minutes, than Maria. If they had both played on the 2003-04 teams, I think Molly would have beat out Maria for the role of sidekick to Diana.

The talent level at UConn and in WCBB generally has evolved since then, particularly for guards, and Molly is where she belongs on the current UConn team. But there were a number of other really good UConn teams in the past on which she could have been a starter. If Evina's eligibility for the upcoming season is denied, I expect that Molly will be the third guard on this year's team and will get about 12-15 minutes per game in that role.

Reaction Score
Maria is a living refutation of those who say that Molly Bent doesn't have enough talent to play for UConn. As far as I can see, Molly is as good a shooter (if she gets regular playing time), much faster, with better hops, and in better shape to play extended minutes, than Maria. If they had both played on the 2003-04 teams, I think Molly would have beat out Maria for the role of sidekick to Diana.

The talent level at UConn and in WCBB generally has evolved since then, particularly for guards, and Molly is where she belongs on the current UConn team. But there were a number of other really good UConn teams in the past on which she could have been a starter. If Evina's eligibility for the upcoming season is denied, I expect that Molly will be the third guard on this year's team and will get about 12-15 minutes per game in that role.
Molly seems to have all the talent to contribute. In my opinion when I watch her it's all between the ears. She goes out there and gets ahead of herself by rushing things or she refuses to take shots she can make. Seems like nerves and confidence not talent.

Reaction Score
Geno once famously commented that "she may be short, but she's also slow." Well she was the short slow PG for two national champs.
[UOTE]
Geno did say the year after she graduate: " I never thought I'd miss Maria Conlon". Maybe as a joke but she was one helava player, pg, 3 POINT shooter, passer, and (although it wasn't hard- at time's she made her look awfully good.

Reaction Score

Of course you are right about BENT (with a caveat Molly s talent, Molly is intelligent. She shoots the 3 and jumpers well, in practice. The missing from Molly's package is CONFIDENCE-- that was not lacking (after her frosh year) in Maria Conlon. She was ice on the foul line in tight games, she could and did drill her share of 3s

Reaction Score

I don't think Molly has Maria's competitiveness/intensity/will to win. It gets overlooked as it's not a tangible talent. But I recall that was one of the things that attracted Geno's attention.
Maria also had really good defensive footwork that made up for her lack of quickness.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Then when asked why he recruited her, Auriemma said, "I have no idea. When I watched Maria in high school, she was never happy on court. She has got a miserable on-court demeanor. If she were a doctor, she would have no patients.''

Reaction Score
Molly seems to have all the talent to contribute. In my opinion when I watch her it's all between the ears. She goes out there and gets ahead of herself by rushing things or she refuses to take shots she can make. Seems like nerves and confidence not talent.
Agree. The "speed" of a game is a critical factor, especially if you don't have overwhelming talent. For Larry Bird, a good, not great athlete, the game was almost played in slow motion. He easily followed everything around him and perceived what would happen next. The opposite is coming in a bit anxious, and having things rapidly swirl around you like a kaleidoscope or blur.

Reaction Score
Then when asked why he recruited her, Auriemma said, "I have no idea. When I watched Maria in high school, she was never happy on court. She has got a miserable on-court demeanor. If she were a doctor, she would have no patients.''
Wasn’t there another line ? Something like “she was miserable ... but they always won” ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom