OT: - Marathon world record! | The Boneyard

OT: Marathon world record!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

Perfect weather conditions in Berlin helped Eliud Kipchoge break his own world record in a time
of 2:01:09...he is a Kenyan...no surprise there. Breaking the 2 hour barrier seems a bit like breaking
4 minutes for the mile way back when. He is 37 years olde...maybe past his prime though his quotes
seem to disagree with that. Note: the linked article says he HAS broken 2 hours in the past but that time
simply doesn't count due to pace-makers and 'controlled' circumstances...no mention of what those were.

Same marathon: women's winner Tigist Assefa [Eithiopian] won in 2:15:37...3rd fastest ever...only her
second marathon...lowered her previous time by 18 minutes...yikes!. At 28 that jump in time sounds like she
can go [much?] lower.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It’s mind blowing that a human can run that distance in that time. Anyone know what this guy weighs? Whatever it is I probably have a leg that weighs more.
Back when I was running marathons 15+ years ago, I did a fair amount of reading. The biggest challenge was carrying weight for 26 miles. The ideal weight for men was said to be 112 pounds, for women it was 86. That’s about what the world’s best weighed circa 2000-05.

Reaction Score
It’s mind blowing that a human can run that distance in that time. Anyone know what this guy weighs? Whatever it is I probably have a leg that weighs more.
I agree. About 4.6 minutes per mile for 26 miles. Truly mind boggling. These runner’s thighs are bigger than their waists.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Back when I was running marathons 15+ years ago, I did a fair amount of reading. The biggest challenge was carrying weight for 26 miles. The ideal weight for men was said to be 112 pounds, for women it was 86. That’s about what the world’s best weighed circa 2000-05.
I'd read 2 pounds per inch of height. I've also read that distance runners peak much later in age than sprinters. Mid-30's as opposed to late teens-early 20's.

Kipchoge checks both boxes: 5-6, 115 lb, 37 years old. He's a great athlete and his form is a thing of beauty. You KNOW he's in an incredible amount of pain those last 5 or 6 miles, but his gait is unchanging.

Reaction Score

Perfect weather conditions in Berlin helped Eliud Kipchoge break his own world record in a time
of 2:01:09...he is a Kenyan...no surprise there. Breaking the 2 hour barrier seems a bit like breaking
4 minutes for the mile way back when. He is 37 years olde...maybe past his prime though his quotes
seem to disagree with that. Note: the linked article says he HAS broken 2 hours in the past but that time
simply doesn't count due to pace-makers and 'controlled' circumstances...no mention of what those were.

Same marathon: women's winner Tigist Assefa [Eithiopian] won in 2:15:37...3rd fastest ever...only her
second marathon...lowered her previous time by 18 minutes...yikes!. At 28 that jump in time sounds like she
can go [much?] lower.
Just a side-Note here:
MARATHON race Should Not Have a World Record ! PERIOD !!
It should be said "Berlin Marathon Record'.. "Boston Marathon Record".. "Tokyo Marathon Record"....
BECAUSE the playing field IS NOT ON THE LEVEL for each and EVERY "XXX(city) Marathon Race"

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Javafan: you make a very good point. In fact I have seen the occasional article that does not use the words
'world record'. They say 'world's best"....meaning lowest time. Of course even there the lowest time on record might in effect not be the 'best'. A 2:01:09 on the Berlin course in great marathon weather may not be a better effort than a 2:05 on a hilly course with high temps and a headwind...or even compared to the same Berlin course with high temps and a headwind.

In any case Kipchoge's race is tremendous.

Reaction Score
I'd read 2 pounds per inch of height. I've also read that distance runners peak much later in age than sprinters. Mid-30's as opposed to late teens-early 20's.

Kipchoge checks both boxes: 5-6, 115 lb, 37 years old. He's a great athlete and his form is a thing of beauty. You KNOW he's in an incredible amount of pain those last 5 or 6 miles, but his gait is unchanging.
You forgot to mention that "living at high altitude" being an important part of the mix. Able to use oxygen more efficiently, esp over long distances, eh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom