Manuel feels UConn in middle ground financially with power conferences (K. Duffy) | The Boneyard

Manuel feels UConn in middle ground financially with power conferences (K. Duffy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article...nn-in-middle-ground-5156763.php?cmpid=twitter

>>Reports from the meetings suggested that momentum has picked up for the Power Five to soon have some form of autonomy. A straw vote of the 800 or so administrators in San Diego revealed that 58 percent were in favor of granting self-governance, in some capacity, to the power leagues. According to reports, 27 percent "strongly" supported it while 31 percent simply expressed a regular amount of support.

Eight percent were neutral. Thirteen percent opposed it and four percent "strongly" opposed.

Manuel's vote?

"I'm supportive of, and UConn has been supportive of, one of the big things we want to do is increase scholarship to a level that includes the cost of attendance," Manuel said. "That's one of the big things (the Power Five) wanted to do. We are supportive of that. We have been from the beginning.

"Nothing is set in stone," Manuel said. "But I think in general people are supportive of providing some autonomy to those who have higher resources. I would like to say we're potentially in that group. ... In many respects, based on where we are, we're in that middle ground -- particularly financially. We look like one of the (schools) in those five conferences."<<

Kevin needs to check his "polling math" but still nice job broaching the subject w/ WM.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize we were so out in front of other teams in this league in terms of revenue. Anyway to project out into the future if we will continue to outpace the schools in this league?

Problem is, the rest of the AAC doesn't. According to the annual USA Today report, UConn ranked 42nd overall at $63.5 million in revenue for 2012.

Then there's a steep dropoff: Cincinnati ($48 million), Memphis (46), South Florida (43), Central Florida (40), Houston (36) and so on. These numbers pale in comparison to even the bottom-tier Power League schools, and the gap is only bound to grow further with the ACC TV contract paying out $18 million annually to its members and The American deal awarding just $2 million and change.

Reaction Score
Each day that goes by I wonder if this league wasn't better off adopting Terry Holland's plan of letting the individual schools sell their rights to TV. I wonder if these next six years are being used as a way to familiarize people with the leauge, and at the end of the current TV contract that isn't revisited.

Reaction Score
I have to think that at the end of this all, UConn and Cincy will get picked up by one of the power conferences. There are teams in the power conferences that do FAR worse than these two programs. I also find it difficult that some that moved up will quite survive (looking at Utah in the PAC-12). UConn and Cincy have big fan bases, big sports budgets, and recent success on their side. If it does come down to a power 5, there probably will be a big evening out of how many teams each has (probably to 16) and try to capitalize on what little left there is for growth.

I still think UConn will be fine. It's programs like USF that need to start worrying. You could argue that UCF and Houston have a better chance of making the cut than USF.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I was motivated enough to look up that USA Today list:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

It's not really complete? Not many private schools. Pitt and Temple I could also not find via CTRL-F.

UConn is the highest ranked team not presently in the Cartel--UNLV is second at 47. There's 4 AAC and 3 MWC schools ahead of the bottommost Cartel team, Utah. Louisville is TWENTIETH. God they've got a great real estate scam going on there.

Reaction Score
My question is what happens to schools like Wake, Syracuse, Pitt among others who have voted against this from the begining...while schools like UCONN and Cincy have voted yes. At some point there will be a split....and you have to think the schools that voted no did it because they can't afford it.

GG

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that during the CR discussions during the pregame show last night Reece indicated that UCONN is still looking for a home (or something similar to that)? I am probably reading into that too much, but found it interesting.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice that during the CR discussions during the pregame show last night Reece indicated that UCONN is still looking for a home (or something similar to that)? I am probably reading into that too much, but found it interesting.

I don't think it's a matter of who but when for UConn. Conference realignment is far from being over. We're just in a lull right now. UConn and Cincy are probably #1 and #2 in the top schools left to poach. Right now, there is no reason for anyone to add anybody. But once the Pac-12 or B1G comes poaching someone (as they're running this show), then all hell will break loose again.

For instance, all it will take is the B1G taking ND or the Pac-12 taking OU or UT and conference realignment fever begins again.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a matter of who but when for UConn. Conference realignment is far from being over. We're just in a lull right now. UConn and Cincy are probably #1 and #2 in the top schools left to poach. Right now, there is no reason for anyone to add anybody. But once the Pac-12 or B1G comes poaching someone (as they're running this show), then all hell will break loose again.

For instance, all it will take is the B1G taking ND or the Pac-12 taking OU or UT and conference realignment fever begins again.
You seem to be ignoring that the GORs have put the brakes on this stuff for the considerable future.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put much weight to the vote. It was an electronic straw poll akin to voting for the best clam chowder at a fair.

Not everyone voted and those with voting devices can pass them around to the rest of their crew.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My question is what happens to schools like Wake, Syracuse, Pitt among others who have voted against this from the begining...while schools like UCONN and Cincy have voted yes. At some point there will be a split....and you have to think the schools that voted no did it because they can't afford it.

I have felt for quite a few years that it is only a matter of time before the ACC accepts that Wake is little more than a redundancy (a far lesser one at that) of Duke and finds a way to shuttle them. I can see this getting the ball rolling for the SEC to choose between Ole Miss/Miss St and the ACC then telling NC St that they aren't really necessary with UNC being so close geographically.

One major component of the downfall of the old SWC was that with so many schools within the same footprint the value given to the larger names was less than what it would have been if they were in a broader conference (B-12) while the value added by the lesser schools didn't cover what they took from the overall pot.

Reaction Score
The vote was really worthless, except it allowed for a nice press release for Emmert. There were no details being voted on, the details haven't even been discussed yet. Miles to go before this issue sleeps.

Reaction Score
I have felt for quite a few years that it is only a matter of time before the ACC accepts that Wake is little more than a redundancy (a far lesser one at that) of Duke and finds a way to shuttle them. I can see this getting the ball rolling for the SEC to choose between Ole Miss/Miss St and the ACC then telling NC St that they aren't really necessary with UNC being so close geographically.

One major component of the downfall of the old SWC was that with so many schools within the same footprint the value given to the larger names was less than what it would have been if they were in a broader conference (B-12) while the value added by the lesser schools didn't cover what they took from the overall pot.
I can't see this ever happening. Those conferences are already getting big bucks, and those schools seem to genuinely like being associated with one another athletically.

Coincidentally, if you read Jacobs' colum today, Warde sounds an awful lot like the guy in animal house yelling remain calm. I cannot believe we are where we are, by every metric UConn should be in a P5 conference, and yet we are in a conference where some teams don't bring in half the revenue we do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Each day that goes by I wonder if this league wasn't better off adopting Terry Holland's plan of letting the individual schools sell their rights to TV. I wonder if these next six years are being used as a way to familiarize people with the leauge, and at the end of the current TV contract that isn't revisited.
I'm not sure about the league, but we certainly would be. For what it is worth, the league has produced some good basketball games this year. I have to think that adds value.

Reaction Score

The only way that ND is joining the B1G is if 1) further realignment forces them to join a football conference to get playoff access and 2) the ACC to implode. They will go ACC full-time before B1G.

Reaction Score
I still think UConn will be fine. It's programs like USF that need to start worrying. You could argue that UCF and Houston have a better chance of making the cut than USF.

I would like to think so, too; but, how many other major D1 programs have been screwed-over by another conference, regional rivals and the NCAA as much as UConn has been over the last 5 or so years Thus, I worry about UConn the most. Cincy, which has no chance getting into the B1G because of Ohio St, has a better chance at this stage getting into the ACC (opens the Midwest to ACC, has been better at football than UConn, and is not UConn) or the XII (as a partner for WV). USF and UCF give access to a big football recruiting ground for the XII and to fill in a spot should Florida St and/or Miami bolt. Ditto for Houston, except that it's TX and not FL.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I wondered if anyone else caught that. Did you also hear Bilas and Jalen Rose's answers? Bilas indicated that the travel was going to hurt UCONN and pointed at the team being in Texas for two games, then Memphis, then back in CT a few days later for Louisville. Jalen Rose was much more emphatic when he said that UCONN was screwed in CR. I also appreciated a few mentions that Gampel is one of the best venues for college basketball and opinion was that UCONN should play all home games there. I agree.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have to say it. We all know it. Our only hope is that he and the braintrust are concocting some sort of plan that doesn't involve, sitting, hoping and wishing. I have no answers. He is paid to have some.
What is WM supposed to say? We're screwed? How long would he keep his job?

Reaction Score
He doesn't have to say it. We all know it. Our only hope is that he and the braintrust are concocting some sort of plan that doesn't involve, sitting, hoping and wishing. I have no answers. He is paid to have some.
I believe that's exactly what they're doing. They just hired one of the top Coordinators in CFB, the pay scale for Asst's is on par with most P5 schools, they are getting a BB practice facility built. Investing in improving all sports (see hockey), from what I'm hearing they are out networking/schmoozing with Prez's, AD's and TV people at various events continuing to promote the "brand", and most importantly truly improving the academic and research profile of the university. They are taking all the steps to even better position UConn. These are the things they can control. What they can't control is another conference making a decision to expand.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
To add to SAMCRO's post we also need to factor in that the prior regime wasted a decade of immense success. If those in charge today were here seven or eight years earlier, today we would already be in the B1G (or ACC), the hoops facility would be three to four years old, the Rent would seat about 55k and we would be in the AAU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom